Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: How do you feel about people "misrepresenting" their Gen5 Camaros
Hate it! It's like lying to all who see it. 106 23.71%
Don't mind it so long as there is no false badging. 247 55.26%
I see nothing wrong with it/It doesn't bother me. 84 18.79%
If you can't afford what you really want... Fake it! 10 2.24%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #43
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
How so? Guy bought an SS. The car has SS badges on it. It has other non-factory beauty modifications. Badging is true.
So the SS is badge, but the Transformer badging slapped on the fender isn't? Seems the same to me.

BTW, i'm fine with it. He just seemed to contradict himself in his argument.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #44
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
I have an SS bumper on my V6 after high speed run-in with a small woodland creature. No SS badges of course, and I'm always very upfront about the V6 status. Though a large percent of the American population (dare I say the majority) don't know or don't care about the trim cues anyways. I don't really care what others think. I just like the look of that bumper better. And nobody really bats an eye when a V6 has the ZL1 bumper. Hell, it's practically common place nowadays.

While I think it's kinda cheesy that people would badge their car as something it's not, who am I to judge? Even if I had a V8 I wouldn't give a horses pah-toot about somebody's misbadgery. That's their car and it's their choice to live with false badging. Everybody chooses their own path of modification and personalization. Some do it well (as far as outsiders perspectives go) and others not so well. But even the people who have completely jacked up the look of the car still love it. I bet you money the people that own the god-awful King Camaros STILL LOVE THEIR GOD-AWFUL CAR. So, again, who are we to judge? [Even though it is seriously lame]
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #45
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
It's funny how this stuff changes over time. Back in the 4th gen years if this topic were on LS1tech, it would be 100-0 to never misrepresent or upbadge the car.

Everybody's such a world-peace live-and-let-live hippie now

(ps: don't badge your car something that it isn't)
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #46
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
How so? Guy bought an SS. The car has SS badges on it. It has other non-factory beauty modifications. Badging is true.

I like the ride man. Especially cause of the front bumper. may need to look into these. Nice.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #47
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
To add certain parts of other Camaro models isn't a bad thing I mean a lot of parts from the ZL1 or Z/28 are performance enhancing. What bothers me is when people say it's a ZL1 or Z/28 to make others believe that it is. I think there was a pic months ago posted on here with a Vert that was parked that had "SS" emblems on the trunk and it was really an LS. There were other mods as well attached to the car but to make it look more than what it is, is crazy. Like I said, performance upgrades are ok but badging is stupid. Personally I want my car to look like the lowest end one you can get. Once all my mods are done people will roll up and want to "Play" a little, this is when they will realize my v6 isn't like the others. Will I play it to be a Z/28? No but a bad ass v6? Yup

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #48
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
To minor extent, Cloning does affect the real owners.

If there were 20,000 "Transformer" Camaros driving around, and a dozen clones on Ebay selling for much less, it affects your resale value.

However, something like Z/28 a pure hot rod. Appearance clones should not affect you. Even if a Clone had all the right performance parts, who wants to buy somebodies science fair project? By the time they discounted it enough to get a buyer, they would take a bloodbath on the build cost.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #49
lowrider13

Drives: '13 2LT Rag-Top, '12 HD Super Glide
To me a car is like food. I may not like what you're eating, but hey, it's not my mouth. With that said, I do agree if you add performance parts which reflect the model, it's still not that model.

For ex, I am toying with the idea of upgrading my 2LT rag-top with the 1LE suspension, but I won't put 1LE on it. (Yes, I know 1LE is more than just suspension) But that's probably because I'm too nervous to put on the badges and not make them symmetrical on both sides... j/k! ha ha ha!
lowrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #50
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
If you are making the payment, do what you want with it. It is what is what it is. Making it unique in your own way is your right to have fun with your car. Badge it anyway you want, add both Turbo and Supercharger badges and make people scratch their head.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #51
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
What if your wife/gf has fake boobs? How do you badge them?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #52
RajaCamaro

Drives: 2017 Volt Premier - 2013 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
If you are making the payment, do what you want with it. It is what is what it is. Making it unique in your own way is your right to have fun with your car. Badge it anyway you want, add both Turbo and Supercharger badges and make people scratch their head.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #53
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
What if your wife/gf has fake boobs? How do you badge them?
I think there's a certain kind of necklace that's suitable for that

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #54
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I guess I am in a different mindset of who gives a $hit it’s your car do what you want if you want to add parts go ahead, you want to add badges go ahead. Now you will have to put up the criticism of others if you can live with that go for it. To keep people happy as long as you are upfront that your car is a LS, LT, or SS, or whatever and not trying to tell it’s a real SS, Z/28, 1LE, or ZL1 when you know it’s not I am fine with that. I enjoy seeing what people can do with their cars it’s cool to see a car transformed from one car into another.

People have been cloning cars and re-badging cars for decades this is nothing different it seems that with a lot of the 5th Gen crowd that they get all upset over this. I have seen cloned 1st-4th Gen’s all the time who cares, I have judged cloned COPO ZL1 cars, Yenko’s, SS, cars most done correctly. I have seen owners try to pass them off as the real deal and I have seen owners say this is my cloned 69 Z/28, or SS, or ZL1 cool.

I have a bunch of ZL1 appearance parts on my car and I have it customized to my liking I have had people ask me about the car I have no problem and do tell them it’s a 2LT/RS I have my display board that lists it as a 2LT/RS, engine stuff and appearance stuff for when I am not near my car it clearly lists that info about my car.

All I can say is enjoy the cars don’t be so uptight about what others are doing to their cars.

Last edited by 01pewterz28; 05-08-2014 at 02:43 PM.
01pewterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #55
19car69

Drives: 2012 1LS
It's not for me, but I have to admit that I have a steering wheel with an SS on it. I couldn't find a used leather wheel without the SS so I went with what I could get.
2012 1LS, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Apex scoop, Apex water bottle relocation, VMax Ported TB, Vitesse Throttle Controller, BMR Sway bars, BMR 1.2" drop springs, Koni rear shocks, Elite catch can, Solo Performance V6 Mach X-LFX Cat-Back Exhaust, Hex Vents, 1LE strut tower brace, Barton short throw, separate clutch reservoir, American Racing TORQ THRUST M 18X9, HiTS radio with reverse camera, GM Blade Dovetail spoiler, 2010 leather wrap steering wheel, vented engine cover, added Homelink to overhead console.
19car69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #56
alanhurst
Master Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS L99
I don't understand why some people are even on this site. The biggest draw to a site like this is the mods people do to their cars. If someone is in the "anyone who mods their car with a hood/bumper etc,they are a poser" mindset, WTH are they even doing on a site like this?

The only thing I might raise an eyebrow about is badging, other than that, IDGAF what ya do. your ride,not mine.