Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
detroit_thumper

Drives: 2003 SVT Cobra
The source is credible, atleast with this article.
detroit_thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Uh , twin turbos? I don't like the sound on a muscle car but that's just me!
They are the future however, boosted motors are beast.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I wouldn't be shocked if it did. Ford has shown they are willing to go balls out with horsepower.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
Twin turbo Mustang is faster than our Camaros....need to get over it. :-)
My 1 of 1 Bumblebee: Paint=House of Kolor Sunrise. Shaved door handles and concept handles added. Shark fin removed, concept mirrors, Showstoppers concept LED side marker lights. Wiper blades removed, muffler delete, and Range AFM disable. BMR springs lowered 1" rear and 1.4" front and added Eibach wheel spacers - 20mm rear and 25mm front.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #19
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
No I meant stock. Modded is anyone's game. A 14/15 gt500 is already crazy fast. Add a higher revving twin turbo coyote and it will he stupid fast. Look how fast the hellcats are with 600lbs extra. Sorry but nothing offered by Chevy will beat the next gt500 "if" it has that engine with over 700hp and be roughly the same weight as the last model. Now I know that's a lot of "if's" but all of them have been rumored for awhile and all are easily achievable.
Do you know there is more to performance than 1/4 mile times?

Ford can give the Mustang 700hp and it will still loose to the Vette Z06 on the track. It seem GM has moved away from drag cars, and focusing more on total performance. Also The Current ZL1 and Z28 would whip the Hell cat at a track like V.I.R. Hell the 1LE camaro would murder the Hell cat at V.I.R.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #20
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodriver2 View Post
Twin turbo Mustang is faster than our Camaros....need to get over it. :-)
Because of weight? Even though, I don't care about the HP thing ! I laugh at a twin turbo mustang just like I laugh at a 4 cylinder mustang! It's a back and forth game when it comes down to car will win a race ! Because if a Camaro beats a mustang ppl say a bad mustang driver and when a mustang beat a Camaro it's because it's this or that ! Turbo all you want! I'll take a supercharger with less hp because the sound! AWD mustang would be cool too! Lol ...

Last edited by Q'smuscle; 03-05-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #21
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
They are the future however, boosted motors are beast.
And yea , I know it is the future because Cafe regulations and stuff!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 PM   #22
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Glad to see the mustang with the numbers hope GM follows. Will make for some interesting car decisions as the year progresses.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #23
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Like horsepowerkings, I have a reliable source, I asked my dog about horsepower on the new GT500 and he barked 10 times. The bar is set gentlemen, 1000HP, and the squirrel on the porch is gone.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:56 AM   #24
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Do you know there is more to performance than 1/4 mile times?

Ford can give the Mustang 700hp and it will still loose to the Vette Z06 on the track. It seem GM has moved away from drag cars, and focusing more on total performance. Also The Current ZL1 and Z28 would whip the Hell cat at a track like V.I.R. Hell the 1LE camaro would murder the Hell cat at V.I.R.
Did you know for every one owner who will take their car to a twisty track, there most likely would be 100+ who take their car to a local dragstrip, did you know there would probably be another 500+ who would play on the streets to that 1 that would go to a twisty track. This is why you see Z/28s sitting on the lots even while being offered 20% discounts, while Dodge can't build the Hellcats fast enough. While reading about a car's potential in the mags is great, in reality maybe 1/100 may ever take their car to that venue. This is why the first thing most ZL1 owners do is modify for more hp, not to use at the track so much but to use the additional power on the street/strip.

In regards to the prior 500, don't forget it was actually faster at many tracks than the ZL1 was even with its severe handicaps. This new 500 will most likely have an IRS and many of the updates given to the new GT350R. Don't get confused though this car is taking aim at the Hellcat and not the Z06. Maybe this new GT350R may give the Z06 a run, and Dodge has a new Viper coming as well. It sure is a great time in automotive history.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot

Last edited by newmoon; 03-06-2015 at 06:16 AM.
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #25
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
No I meant stock. Modded is anyone's game. A 14/15 gt500 is already crazy fast. Add a higher revving twin turbo coyote and it will he stupid fast. Look how fast the hellcats are with 600lbs extra. Sorry but nothing offered by Chevy will beat the next gt500 "if" it has that engine with over 700hp and be roughly the same weight as the last model. Now I know that's a lot of "if's" but all of them have been rumored for awhile and all are easily achievable.
It's a little hard to discuss how a conjectured Ford and conjectured Chevy will do, because conjecture.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #26
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I see it like this:

The Cobra got a supercharger, then Camaro owners claimed that Mustangs needed the blower to beat them.

The ZL1 comes along, now Camaros come with superchargers too. And yet Cobras are still quicker in the quarter.

Then Challenger FINALLY figures out they need to step up and join the ranks.

What do WE, the buying pubic, get out of this?

The Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro each have cars that will put smiles on your face and empty your wallet. Buy the one you like.

IMO, the Camaro does a lot more aspects better than the others, but I'm totally biased. And proud of it. I think the Mustang keeps putting ugly panels on their car (in comparison to the other pony cars) and I just can't look at one for long. Sorry, I just can't so it appears I'll never own a Mustang. The cobra version does look better than the others, but still not feeling it. I don't care if it's fast as hell. I kinda like the Challenger a little bit, but IMO it's built like an aircraft carrier. I just cannot picture myself owning one without wearing a ship captain's uniform when I drive it.

All this hot air doesn't mean anything to most of us except that I personally want to see EACH car maker to continue to poke each other in the eye with regards to power and handling. Makes it better for all of us.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #27
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Did you know for every one owner who will take their car to a twisty track, there most likely would be 100+ who take their car to a local dragstrip, did you know there would probably be another 500+ who would play on the streets to that 1 that would go to a twisty track. This is why you see Z/28s sitting on the lots even while being offered 20% discounts, while Dodge can't build the Hellcats fast enough. While reading about a car's potential in the mags is great, in reality maybe 1/100 may ever take their car to that venue. This is why the first thing most ZL1 owners do is modify for more hp, not to use at the track so much but to use the additional power on the street/strip.

In regards to the prior 500, don't forget it was actually faster at many tracks than the ZL1 was even with its severe handicaps. This new 500 will most likely have an IRS and many of the updates given to the new GT350R. Don't get confused though this car is taking aim at the Hellcat and not the Z06. Maybe this new GT350R may give the Z06 a run, and Dodge has a new Viper coming as well. It sure is a great time in automotive history.
Well most prefer HP over anything, so it's about HP because it's easier to just put the pedal down to the floor and don't cost you anything! 707 Hellcat vs 505 HP Z/28 See how ppl would have a hard time of picking the Z/28? And that's factory HP so....
Old 03-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #28
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Did you know for every one owner who will take their car to a twisty track, there most likely would be 100+ who take their car to a local dragstrip, did you know there would probably be another 500+ who would play on the streets to that 1 that would go to a twisty track. This is why you see Z/28s sitting on the lots even while being offered 20% discounts, while Dodge can't build the Hellcats fast enough. While reading about a car's potential in the mags is great, in reality maybe 1/100 may ever take their car to that venue. This is why the first thing most ZL1 owners do is modify for more hp, not to use at the track so much but to use the additional power on the street/strip
For every 1/4 mile logged at the drag strip, 10,000 will be put on driving mundane errands where a balance of comfort, agility and power provides the best experience. Most owners will take their GT500, Hellcat, ZL1... to the drags once for the experience and never go back.

Playing on the street? The GT500 lost to the ZL1 in the magazine comparisons because it was harder to live with. The Hellcat has all the size and weight to make it a comfortable street cruser/bruser but can it hook those skinny tires on street surfaces or will its owners clumsily launch or have the traction control axe all that power? Plus (sorry) it's a Dodge

As for the Z/28 not selling in large numbers I'll give my reason for not buying one. The expense of running that tire and brake package over those 10,000 mundane miles and $75,000 cost of entry because of them. Otherwise I'd have chosen that LS7 masterpiece and been happy not being the fastest. I'm not in a position to own such a singly focused car SO the ZL1 was the perfect fit

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote