Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #1373
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I was looking for a challenge being thrown down and it pulled up that
Old 06-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #1374
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Sure thing....as long as it's not on the highway. City streets and I'll be on your ass through all the turns.

Yup, that would be true... You'ld smoke me in a tight course... oh well...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #1375
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Ok...those pix stink. These are a lil better...
Those pics look great D !!

Just like the factory would want it - only better.

Glad to hear that you got the OK from the boss to do a SC operation next year. Great goal to 'shoot' for...
Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #1376
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Got the THR back today and I must say, I LOVE IT!!!

It was dropped off to have the front bumper repaired and the lower grill replaced. Well, they repaired it and then jacked up the stripes that Tom's guys had painted. Apparently, there was not enough clear on the hockeys and the sanding went straight through the silver. Apparently, there was not enough silver either. I kind of had that feeling since the hood seems to keep showing gray through the silver whenever it gets hot. It should still stay silver and when it gets hot, I see gray spots....if y'all can understand.

Anyway....I'm not happy with that, but what can I do. I want two or three more layers of silver on there, but I can't quite get that fixed when the job was done in PA.

Oh well....John and his guys fixed up the hockeys good. They repainted them and cleared them the way it should have been done.

I have a COMPLETELY brand new painted bumper. The stripes...the gray...eveything redone. All those rock chips, ...>GONE! 24,000 miles of crap on the front bumper gone. LOVE IT. They even painted under the bumper fixing the scratches on the underside. So, yes....I am VERY happy.

And I'm SO happy to get rid of that Dodge Challenger!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #1377
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
In the painters defense, if the stripes are painted too thick, by the time you get enough clear on to eliminate the stripe edge, you have a LOT of paint/clear in that area. But, yeah, if you're seeing bleed-thru it's a bit too thin.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #1378
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
In the painters defense, if the stripes are painted too thick, by the time you get enough clear on to eliminate the stripe edge, you have a LOT of paint/clear in that area. But, yeah, if you're seeing bleed-thru it's a bit too thin.
I would assume that a lighter colour stripe over a dark base colour is more problematic? Got a nasty rock chip on the CGM hood stripe on the way to C5F II. Have to live with it till next winter, no plans to paint stripes on till then. Good to know.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #1379
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Yeah, I can understand the paint being too thick. But, I could already feel the edge....like not enough clear was put on completely over the edges and then buffed down to smooth. So, there was always a kind of slight edge. There's absolutely no edge now. It's smooth straight across.

Also, John (from Jack's Paint Place in Converse) put on a tougher clear which he says is thicker and more resistant to rock chips. He says it acts more like a rubber ball where some stuff will bounce off the thicker clear and not chip it.

There is an absolute complete difference between the paint on the bumper and the car. Not like....different shades or anything. But, the paint on the bumper is so much "richer" than the paint on the hood/fenders. It looks GREAT. The thought ran through my mind to have shop redo the hood and make the silver a few shades thicker so I can't see that bleed through. Wonder how much that would run...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
I would assume that a lighter colour stripe over a dark base colour is more problematic? Got a nasty rock chip on the CGM hood stripe on the way to C5F II. Have to live with it till next winter, no plans to paint stripes on till then. Good to know.

more problematic if not enough paint applied. PRIMER!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #1380
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
In regards to the front facia, that could be the plastic to metal paint mismatch that these cars come form the factory with. Probably a issue even on a re-paint. Not hard to see the mismatch between plactic and metal on Pumpkin, especially the mirror's.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #1381
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Yeah. I've always seen that mismatch. I actually think it looks kind of cool. It's not a color where you might have white on one side and white with a tinge of yellow in the other side. It's just gray...and in shadows, they are all different shades of gray. So, comparing the front to the side....it's like it's being looked at at different angles.

It was never a major difference and quite honestly, I didn't really notice it (or maybe it didn't bother me).

It's just this repaint is SO much better than it was before.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #1382
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
New Hurst emblem. Bad pictures.... :(

I took out the orange and replaced it with wave blue. Then I cleared it just to make it look better. Wish I had better lighting. I'll take more pix tomorrow out in the sun.

Tag, are those the metal Hurst emblems from the Hurst store?

Thinking about throwing those on my CGM too.

Looks great btw
Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #1383
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone★ColdNuts View Post
Tag, are those the metal Hurst emblems from the Hurst store?

Thinking about throwing those on my CGM too.

Looks great btw
Yep!

Depending on what you want to do with them, they are easy to get the orange paint out of it and repaint with whatever color you want...red to match ss's or silver, etc Just take your time when removing the paint and get in all those grooves. Paint it in time as well. I think I did about 5 coats with two coats of clear.

Same emblems and thanks for the compliment!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #1384
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
Lookin' good!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #1385
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
Lookin' good!
Thanks!

And thanks for the emblem!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #1386
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Such a great wife!

MPD1 is ON THE WAY!!!!

Tags
adjustable camber plates, camarocross, cgm, cyber gray metallic, factory reproductions, hertz, jl audio, litho, pedders, rick-rolled, rodgers chevrolet, stainless works, supercars, tom henry, zl1 bumper