Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Make an insurance claim or not?

So this weekend I ended up accidentally backing my car into another car. I didn't see it, there was another car blocking some of my view, and there was a car parked in spot that pretty much never has a car there. My rear sensors didn't even detect that the car was there because of the way I was backing out of a driveway at an angle. Unfortunately it damaged the rear quarter along with the bumper so the price to fix is a little high.

The quote came back as $1,250 and I have a $500 deductible. So, for $750 more is it worth filing the claim? My wife says that's what we have insurance for, and she is correct to a point. My concern is that if something else happens then my rates will go sky high. They will probably go up a little with one claim but if I were to get another one within at least 3 years then I'm thinking I'll end up in high risk insurance.

I do have the money but I would have to pull it out of my rainy day fund and it will probably take a while for me to replenish it. So, yes...I have the money but it will slightly hurt to hand it over.

I'm leaning towards just paying it...the wife is pretty firm in just claiming it.

Opinons????
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
So did you report the accident to your insurance company and the other involved party that you hit?? You are responsible for the repairs on their vehicle as well, or rather your insurance is responsible. Since you have to report it to your insurance company to begin with yiu might as well get it repaired through insurance. Unless the other involved party has agreed to not go through insurance and you are paying their damages out of repair as well.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
So did you report the accident to your insurance company and the other involved party that you hit?? You are responsible for the repairs on their vehicle as well, or rather your insurance is responsible.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Yea it'll hurt but I would pay myself, I got into 3 accidents I know about being high risk it's not fun, if you got the cash I recommend paying it as long as it don't break the bank

Either way hope you get it good as new soon
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
caverman

Yeah...forgot to mention that. The other car was a worker's POS truck. It already had so much damage that you had to look for where I hit the edge of his bumper. The guy came look at the damage on my car...looked at his and said "It's OK" with his limited english. I'm pretty sure that by the look on my face and the look on his face he kind of felt bad for parking where he did. I'm not blaming him because as much as I would love to chew someones head off, ultimately it was my fault.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
If you reported it to the insurance company, or they did, it may already be to late as far as your rate being impacted. Its a little unclear on which companies enter an accident hit on your insurance and which dont, but I would just go with it counting against you if it was reported, whether you pay or they pay.

If not, my rule of thumb is , if its under twice my deductable if my deductible is $250 or more, I pay, if its over twice I let them pay.

In your situation, I would let the insurance pay, as more often than not, it seems the repairs come out to be more than what is originally estimated, and they would cover that as well.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
Yea it'll hurt but I would pay myself, I got into 3 accidents I know about being high risk it's not fun, if you got the cash I recommend paying it as long as it don't break the bank

Either way hope you get it good as new soon
Unfortunately this will be the second time this quarter panel and the rear bumper have been painted. Last year a guy working on my garage doors drop a crow bar that bounced off the same quarter and bumper. I took it to the only guy who I not only trust to paint it right but I also trust him not to take my car out for a drive. The last time he fixed it perfect so no worries there.

Also the last time the garage guy handed over my deductible and paid about another $400 out of my pocket so I didn't have to claim it. If I would've claimed it then this would be my second claim.
Build Journal
Old 10-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Yeah...forgot to mention that. The other car was a worker's POS truck. It already had so much damage that you had to look for where I hit the edge of his bumper. The guy came look at the damage on my car...looked at his and said "It's OK" with his limited english. I'm pretty sure that by the look on my face and the look on his face he kind of felt bad for parking where he did. I'm not blaming him because as much as I would love to chew someones head off, ultimately it was my fault.
Glad you mentioned that, I was hoping you werent gonna let it slip out that you just took off.
With that being said, the situation is ultimately up to you. If it was me, I would just pay it out of pocket.

For what its worth, if anything like that happens again and the other involved party says "Dont worry about it", GET IT IN WRITING!!!! I once tapped a rear bumper at a red light and put a small dent in it. Pulled over and the guy said not to worry about it that it wasnt a big deal. A week later all of a sudden I had a hit and run charge against me because the guy changed his mind and decided he wanted to pursue it and filed a false hit and run charge. Luckily I had a witness of the situation and everything got dropped and he was SOL.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Quote:
Unfortunately this will be the second time this quarter panel and the rear bumper have been painted. Last year a guy working on my garage doors drop a crow bar that bounced off the same quarter and bumper. I took it to the only guy who I not only trust to paint it right but I also trust him not to take my car out for a drive. The last time he fixed it perfect so no worries there.

Also the last time the garage guy handed over my deductible and paid about another $400 out of my pocket so I didn't have to claim it. If I would've claimed it then this would be my second claim.
I'm the same way only got one guy I trust with my car to work on it, like I said it may hurt but I would pay just so your insurance don't hurt you more in the long run
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
Glad you mentioned that, I was hoping you werent gonna let it slip out that you just took off.
With that being said, the situation is ultimately up to you. If it was me, I would just pay it out of pocket.

For what its worth, if anything like that happens again and the other involved party says "Dont worry about it", GET IT IN WRITING!!!! I once tapped a rear bumper at a red light and put a small dent in it. Pulled over and the guy said not to worry about it that it wasnt a big deal. A week later all of a sudden I had a hit and run charge against me because the guy changed his mind and decided he wanted to pursue it and filed a false hit and run charge. Luckily I had a witness of the situation and everything got dropped and he was SOL.
Well my neighbors ended up pulling up within a minute of it happening. And they saw the guy look at my car as well. This guy could barely speak english so I'll assume he couldn't read or write it if I were to ask for it in writing. He didn't take down my license or ask for insurance info or anything. My guess is that he would prefer to avoid any law enforcement interaction at all. He just went right back to working and he was at my other neighbors house pretty much all day. Like I mentioned, his car was already beat to hell. You really couldn't tell my car did anything to his unless you went looking for it. Even then it was a very minor scuff on the outer edge of his bumper.

However, I get your point. You're right...for the most part you should get those things in writing.
Build Journal
Old 10-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
RX SS RACERX

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT
Should come down to simple math (although not for me,lol). If your broker is a straight shooter they should be able to tell you a good guesstimate of any premium increase. ie)in my case I get one at fault claim then second claim triggers an increase of 3 to 5% for involved vehicle for 3 years. By claiming you save at least $750. Would your premium raise enough to eat up the $750?IDK It's all a gamble. Goodluck,glad to hear you have a trusted bodyshop!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
So this weekend I ended up accidentally backing my car into another car. I didn't see it, there was another car blocking some of my view, and there was a car parked in spot that pretty much never has a car there. My rear sensors didn't even detect that the car was there because of the way I was backing out of a driveway at an angle. Unfortunately it damaged the rear quarter along with the bumper so the price to fix is a little high.

The quote came back as $1,250 and I have a $500 deductible. So, for $750 more is it worth filing the claim? My wife says that's what we have insurance for, and she is correct to a point. My concern is that if something else happens then my rates will go sky high. They will probably go up a little with one claim but if I were to get another one within at least 3 years then I'm thinking I'll end up in high risk insurance.

I do have the money but I would have to pull it out of my rainy day fund and it will probably take a while for me to replenish it. So, yes...I have the money but it will slightly hurt to hand it over.

I'm leaning towards just paying it...the wife is pretty firm in just claiming it.

Opinons????

The answer is rather simple, just ask yourself what your more afraid of, your wife or higher insurance payments. Personally my wife scares the hell out of me, and I would rather make her happy.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX SS RACERX View Post
Should come down to simple math (although not for me,lol). If your broker is a straight shooter they should be able to tell you a good guesstimate of any premium increase. ie)in my case I get one at fault claim then second claim triggers an increase of 3 to 5% for involved vehicle for 3 years. By claiming you save at least $750. Would your premium raise enough to eat up the $750?IDK It's all a gamble. Goodluck,glad to hear you have a trusted bodyshop!
Good advise. I'll call Geico and see if I can pull out that info without saying much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
The answer is rather simple, just ask yourself what your more afraid of, your wife or higher insurance payments. Personally my wife scares the hell out of me, and I would rather make her happy.
LOL....I'm with ya on that.
Build Journal
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
I agree with her, that is what insurance is for... that $750 may be more than 3 years worth on increases...maybe not. AND, hopefully you won't have any more at fault accidents till one drops off their records....

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote