Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Cam help

Car is going to Vengeance on the 18th for some goody's. Right now, I'm going with there Stage II cam, but I'm interested in the Kaotic cam also. Does anyone have any first hand experience with both of these cams? I have talked to one local person that has the Stage II cam and he loves it and states the drivability for a DD is good. No one around here has the Kaotic cam, but there is one car local that has the Night Fury cam and I've been told that if the Kaotic is similar to the Night Fury, it might not be the best choice for a DD. Anyone out there that can give me some in-site? BTW, the wife drives the car a lot. It's an M6 also.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
unforgiven
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 ss
the key is the tune for a daily driver with a cam. its what makes drivability nice
unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
DonutSS

Drives: '12 ZL1 SIM ADM Built
another key is if it's name is Megadeath, Kaotic, Dark Devil or something similar that it's probably not going to be very friendly on a day to day basis.. all joking aside, these "monster" cams are great for a max effort build that also has better flowing heads in the picture.

If you want solid daily driver power that is easy on your valvetrain I would urge you to keep around 228/232 while keeping your lift below .600 with a 114lsa.. the lower the lsa (like 110 or 111) the more drivability issues you will encounter.. it may sound like a beast but it will also normally behave like one to.

Most shops have a "blower cam" that is also great for a daily driver and most of them still give you around 45rwhp but with zero drivability issues. Your wife will appreciate that part..

Just my 2cents from my experience as stupid cam designer.. lol don't ask..
DonutSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
223-227 intake duration will make a good DD cam. Sure, there are some cams and tunes that make 231+ intake duration cams drive great but keeping intake duration under 230* makes for good driveability and ease of tuning.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Car is going to Vengeance on the 18th for some goody's. Right now, I'm going with there Stage II cam, but I'm interested in the Kaotic cam also. Does anyone have any first hand experience with both of these cams? I have talked to one local person that has the Stage II cam and he loves it and states the drivability for a DD is good. No one around here has the Kaotic cam, but there is one car local that has the Night Fury cam and I've been told that if the Kaotic is similar to the Night Fury, it might not be the best choice for a DD. Anyone out there that can give me some in-site? BTW, the wife drives the car a lot. It's an M6 also.
The answer is in your post. Vengeance knows what they are doing. Be totally honest with yourself about what you want out of the build and discuss it with them. I'm sure they will make you happy.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
The answer is in your post. Vengeance knows what they are doing. Be totally honest with yourself about what you want out of the build and discuss it with them. I'm sure they will make you happy.
I've talked to Ryan several times and I fell comfortable with going there. Your right, when I look back at my first post, the answer is there. I just needed to see it. Being completely truthful with myself, the Kaotic is probably just too wild for a DD and one the wife drives a lot too. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and opinions.