Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Metal polishing help needed

I received my polished Holley LS valve covers today and am completely unhappy with the shine on them. It's dull and hazey all over. I tried a bit of Mothers billet polish by hand with hardley any improvement. I can rub my fingernail across them and leave a scratch, and that scratch will buff out and the rag will turn black from the polishing. This is either the worst excuse for a polish job or there is some kind of clear on them I'm going to have to get off. There made of cast aluminum and the surface is smooth. Any one have any suggestions or ideas I can try? I'm not excited by the idea I might have to take these to a pro and spend another couple of hundred dollars. I'll return them before I do that.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
If the aluminum is turning black when you use polish, it's not clear coated.

Aluminum on it's own will pit and turn hazy and will need all sorts of upkeep to look good.

I hear Optimum Metal Polish is good and I know Adam's Metal Polish 1 and 2 are good. Either one should be worth a try.

If you do get it to perfect, think about possibly clearing it, as otherwise in a few weeks/months, you'll have to do it all over again.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling there was nothing on the valve covers. It's got to be the worst polish job in history. A blind man could have done a better job. Now to decide what to do.

1. Put the effort and possibly more money into them to get them where they need to be.
2. Return and try again.
3. Different brand.
4. Same brand, different finish
5. Paint them and change the direction of my engine compartment look.

They came from Summit so an exchange or return shouldn't be a problem.