Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
QTP cutout motors

Anyone ever had there motors off and opened up? Obviously, there not intended to be user serviceable, but can they be? Are the motors gear reduction, or do they drive the valve directly?

Mine have started to act stupid. Sometimes they'll work, sometimes they won't. I'm going to check the wiring tomorrow and hope it's a bad connection or switch. Seems this all started after I washed the underside real good after driving on some salt covered roads. Hopefully they just need some attention.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Same thing here, until the other day they stopped working all together...

They require periodic cleaning, mine stopped working the other day after trying a new switch and then pulling them I tested the motors using my battery They worked fine, So now I pretty much 100% sure my Iwire is the culprit... and QTP is sending me a new one for free. These motors also need to be sprayed with something like WD-40 time and time again to avoid premature wear and to keep the exhaust residue to a minimum to avoid leaks. This goes for any cut out not just these.

Run a + and - wire to the plug connection just unplug them and youll see the 2 pins inside the plug to test them they are dual polarity so doesn't matter what pin you put the power too it will either close or open depending on that.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
SSMickey

Removed and opened both motors today. Bad news is that both motors have striped gears in them. There not designed to be user serviceable, but a determined person can handle it. Going to order at least one replacement motor and do some mix and match to repair the other one. Should have some spare parts left if this happens again.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Anyone ever had there motors off and opened up? Obviously, there not intended to be user serviceable, but can they be? Are the motors gear reduction, or do they drive the valve directly?

Mine have started to act stupid. Sometimes they'll work, sometimes they won't. I'm going to check the wiring tomorrow and hope it's a bad connection or switch. Seems this all started after I washed the underside real good after driving on some salt covered roads. Hopefully they just need some attention.
How long have you had them on ? Is your car a DD ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Removed and opened both motors today. Bad news is that both motors have striped gears in them. There not designed to be user serviceable, but a determined person can handle it. Going to order at least one replacement motor and do some mix and match to repair the other one. Should have some spare parts left if this happens again.
Both motors? That's very odd to say least, maybe you held on the switch for too long they usually recommend tapping it until closed/opened.

Sucks motors are like 40$ a pop too. Any pics of them deasembled im also curious about it.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by revived View Post
Same thing here, until the other day they stopped working all together...

They require periodic cleaning, mine stopped working the other day after trying a new switch and then pulling them I tested the motors using my battery They worked fine, So now I pretty much 100% sure my Iwire is the culprit... and QTP is sending me a new one for free. These motors also need to be sprayed with something like WD-40 time and time again to avoid premature wear and to keep the exhaust residue to a minimum to avoid leaks. This goes for any cut out not just these.

Run a + and - wire to the plug connection just unplug them and youll see the 2 pins inside the plug to test them they are dual polarity so doesn't matter what pin you put the power too it will either close or open depending on that.
fyi... from the QTP Gen Mgr (where I had mine installed)

"Do NOT use wd40 as that's a waste. Wd40 is 70% water and will just evaporate. Instead use "liquid wrench" you can find it at Walmart or any auto parts store. I spray mine down on the shaft coming from the motor that opens/closes the butterfly at Least every month and they've been going strong for 6 yrs now"
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
SSMickey

Cutouts are just over a year old and the car is not a DD but is driven often. I contacted QTP yesterday and there sending me 2 new motors. Cutouts are out of warranty, but there helping me out some.

I usually hold the switch until there open or closed. Going to have to change my technique some. There is supposed to be an over torque fuse in the wiring harness, but mine never blew.

When I install the new motors, I'll post some tear down pics of the old ones. I'm going to strip them of good parts in case this happens again. I was in a rush last time.

I understand things happen and this hobby is expensive. QTP also offered to do a full refurb on them if I would send them in, but I elected to just have them send me the motors. I'm satisfied with the way QTP handled things.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
camguynj

Quote:
Cutouts are just over a year old and the car is not a DD but is driven often. I contacted QTP yesterday and there sending me 2 new motors. Cutouts are out of warranty, but there helping me out some.

I usually hold the switch until there open or closed. Going to have to change my technique some. There is supposed to be an over torque fuse in the wiring harness, but mine never blew.

When I install the new motors, I'll post some tear down pics of the old ones. I'm going to strip them of good parts in case this happens again. I was in a rush last time.

I understand things happen and this hobby is expensive. QTP also offered to do a full refurb on them if I would send them in, but I elected to just have them send me the motors. I'm satisfied with the way QTP handled things.
Glad to hear they're taking care of you. They owner, mgr & techs are good people who take pride in ( and also use) their products, as well as taking interest in their customers.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
SSMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Glad to hear they're taking care of you. They owner, mgr & techs are good people who take pride in ( and also use) their products, as well as taking interest in their customers.
Taking care of me is an understatement. They sent my motors 2nd day air! On there dime!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
camguynj

Quote:
Taking care of me is an understatement. They sent my motors 2nd day air! On there dime!