Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
DT10

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I really like the looks of the Jeeps but comfort and reliability just arent there.
DT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #16
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
I was actually shopping for a Jeep before I bought my truck but then I attempted to fit 2 carseats and a booster in the backseat, wasn't gonna happen. I'm kind of glad I didn't get one now though, they are EVERYWHERE... and it seems like most of them are jacked up and heavily modded. I hate having something everyone else has so I would've been pretty bummed after spending an extra $15k+ on it only to have the same thing as everyone else. While I would love to be able to cruise in one with the doors off, it seems like that must get pretty old pretty quick. Two of my coworkers have them and they had their doors off all the time for the first year. I haven't seen them do it once in the last 2-3 years though.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #17
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I checked out the new JL and they're very nice. Not a big fan of the front bumper but they usually get swapped out anyway. The only other concern was the blinkers are now on the fenders instead of traditionally on the grill. Too bad they don't offer a diesel or hemi option, I thought surely by now they would. Biggest complaint on mine is the way the trans shifts. It's very "mini van"ish. Good luck with the hunt and as previously mentioned, prepare to spend a bundle on mods.
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #18
Juniorv130

Drives: 2022 1LE
This is all good advice. But I think the issue i have is two car payments, one car not being used. I can make the JL reasonably cool and do all the work myself. I am going to prepare to build either a hot street car or a full time drag car. The Camaro would get even less use.
2010 2SS RS - RJM - 6M - SOLD
Juniorv130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #19
Juniorv130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryfied View Post
I checked out the new JL and they're very nice. Not a big fan of the front bumper but they usually get swapped out anyway. The only other concern was the blinkers are now on the fenders instead of traditionally on the grill. Too bad they don't offer a diesel or hemi option, I thought surely by now they would. Biggest complaint on mine is the way the trans shifts. It's very "mini van"ish. Good luck with the hunt and as previously mentioned, prepare to spend a bundle on mods.
Did you get one? you mentioned the trans. I am used to the 10 speed in my F150 and its insane how it shifts.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #20
Juniorv130

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
I was actually shopping for a Jeep before I bought my truck but then I attempted to fit 2 carseats and a booster in the backseat, wasn't gonna happen. I'm kind of glad I didn't get one now though, they are EVERYWHERE... and it seems like most of them are jacked up and heavily modded. I hate having something everyone else has so I would've been pretty bummed after spending an extra $15k+ on it only to have the same thing as everyone else. While I would love to be able to cruise in one with the doors off, it seems like that must get pretty old pretty quick. Two of my coworkers have them and they had their doors off all the time for the first year. I haven't seen them do it once in the last 2-3 years though.
This is good advice. I will only have a booster in the back. The f150 back seat is excellent. As far as them being everywhere, yeah, but that speaks to the cool factor and popularity. I'm ok putting some money into it to individualize it.

Speaking of cool factor. I have yet to see another white Gen5 1LE around here so... I have that. I drove it today and it's going to be hard to part with. But then again, so was my RJM SS and my corvette.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #21
Juniorv130

Nah. This is moot. I can't do it. The 1LE is too cool.

Thanks for everyone's opinion!
Old 07-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #22
slo100

Drives: 2012 2SS Convertible
Well you closed the ticket here but I can ad some additional color post-script. The reason I have my new to me 2012 SS is because I gave my 2012 Rubicon to my daughter to drive. It is great having both. I will certainly be taking it back to commute during inclement weather and trips to the mountains, skiing, etc. If you like modding, tweaking, and farkling vehicles the Jeeps are a great way to go. They also made a ton of them and most owners take pretty good care of them and the used market is full of good ones that can be had a great price points.
slo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #23
Juniorv130

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo100 View Post
Well you closed the ticket here but I can ad some additional color post-script. The reason I have my new to me 2012 SS is because I gave my 2012 Rubicon to my daughter to drive. It is great having both. I will certainly be taking it back to commute during inclement weather and trips to the mountains, skiing, etc. If you like modding, tweaking, and farkling vehicles the Jeeps are a great way to go. They also made a ton of them and most owners take pretty good care of them and the used market is full of good ones that can be had a great price points.
Very valuable advice.

I've not entirely closed the ticket. I'm still considering it. I adore my camaro. Its a riot. but a riot worth north of $30,000 that sits most every day? I don't know if it makes much sense.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #24
slo100

Drives: 2012 2SS Convertible
Well, I had to sell the 1984 CJ7 that I lovingly restored to make room in the garage for the SS. Over 8 years I drove it less than 3,000 miles so I know how you feel about cars sitting and taking up space. The Camaro will get much more use!
slo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #25
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Cruising with the top and doors off NEVER gets old, especially up on the high mountain roads and even around town where I get lots of thumbs up. It only takes about 30 min to remove everything, I think your coworkers might just be lazy. As far as mods making everyone look the same is a silly statement... unless everyone were to buy the same aftermarket parts. Granted Jeeps ain't for everybody, but just like my Camaro, I'll likely always own one... and a Harley... and a 1 ton diesel work truck.
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #26
Gstick

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorv130 View Post
This is good advice. I will only have a booster in the back. The f150 back seat is excellent. As far as them being everywhere, yeah, but that speaks to the cool factor and popularity. I'm ok putting some money into it to individualize it.

Speaking of cool factor. I have yet to see another white Gen5 1LE around here so... I have that. I drove it today and it's going to be hard to part with. But then again, so was my RJM SS and my corvette.
I have a white one & I saw another white one at the Tom Henry Chevy show a couple weeks back.
Gstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #27
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT10 View Post
I really like the looks of the Jeeps but comfort and reliability just arent there.
^
I was certain I was buying one, and new was reasonably priced vs a year or two old. Chose the color wasn't impressed with how "stripped down" it seemed. Test drove it and it feels wobbly and worse than a minivan to me.
I loved the looks and offroadability but thought it through and got a sedan that was far better in all aspects except offroad.
Whatever, but I don't get all the threads considering different vehicles. If that's where your tastes and life changes have led you go for it.
I think I'd be happier with a Chevy Volt. Is that more helpful than Kermit? (I rather liked the Kermit)
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #28
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I’ve owned Wranglers for a long time, before JK became mainstream. I will always have a Jeep in my garage.

I never like the way the JK looked, so I passed on the 2007-18 models. But now that they got the looks right with JL, there is one in my future.

You could always change up your plan, and get an old Jeep for a weekend toy. Then get something practical with power for a DD. Mopar’s 392 comes in a variety of family friendly vehicles; Charger, Challenger, Grand Cherokee, Durango with 485 hp. Or an older 6.1 GC SRT or 6.0 TBSS would be cheaper
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote