Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #8135
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Nice.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:33 PM   #8136
Dreamcar16

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
looking to purchase my first AR. DPMS Oracle or Ruger AR-556?
Dreamcar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #8137
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Yep, this will be my CCW
Attached Images

blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #8138
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Speaking of CCW.

I was thinking of picking up a Sig Sauer p238 when black Friday deals roll around.

I wasn't a fan of Glock's internal safety. I'd prefer the physical safety on the gun, I'm not that comfortable with carrying to be walking around with a CC-Glock.

Any other recommendations besides the Sig for black Friday?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #8139
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Springfield. Although I would suggest you go fire each one you can rent at a local gun shop before you buy. Ergonomics are far more important to a natural point of aim and comfortability.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #8140
drivingagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
Yep, this will be my CCW
That is alot to conceal carry. Looks more of a competition gun. It is a cool gun but alittle over kill for 7 yard defensive weapon. Just thinking the sight and compensator getting hooked on clothing. Maybe just the way my brain thinks.

I like over kill. Just curious if you actually CCW this everyday? Do you use the compensator because it is 10mm?

I carry a springfield .45 xd mod 2 and within 7 yards follow up shots and good groupings are really decent for small size barrel.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #8141
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
A 10mm for a CCW.......what about little Susie riding her trike across the street from the BG you plug with that thing, IMO overkill unless your hunting lots of Zombies in Bear country.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #8142
drivingagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
A 10mm for a CCW.......what about little Susie riding her trike across the street from the BG you plug with that thing, IMO overkill unless your hunting lots of Zombies in Bear country.
I know where you are coming from because a few years ago this was highly thought of being true. Well now no one worries about 10mm over penetration. FBI found out the misses that happened were worse then over penetration as they were only hitting their target 25-30% of the time on average anyways. Can also change the grain of the bullet to compensate. Still a handgun round in the 9mm-.357 range depending on load and grain of bullet.

I have been doing alot of research on 10mm for ccw myself is why I know this information. Still decided on the .45 just leaves bigger holes to slow down some one. 10mm is still an expensive round to practice with as well.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #8143
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
That sounds uninformed at best and liberal-ish at the worst.

There is no discernible difference in wound cavities among pistol calibers. Ballistically, a 10MM is better than a .45ACP but shot placement is what counts, not bullet size. A 10MM cartridge is smaller than a .45ACP and it allows more to be carried in the same size pistol. A good read is the recent FBI study that caused them to switch to 9MM. In short, a 9MM has less recoil which promotes faster followups and allows a person to carry more rounds than a larger caliber. Why am I not carrying a 9MM? I do but carry the 10MM more often.

This is why more bullets are better.

Last edited by blake-b; 11-15-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #8144
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Speaking of CCW.

I was thinking of picking up a Sig Sauer p238 when black Friday deals roll around.

I wasn't a fan of Glock's internal safety. I'd prefer the physical safety on the gun, I'm not that comfortable with carrying to be walking around with a CC-Glock.

Any other recommendations besides the Sig for black Friday?
This is something that was talked about at one of the NRA classes I took. It really comes down to your comfort level working the safety in an emergency situation. When you need to draw and use your CCW, you are likely in the most stressful and surprised situation of your life. Do you think you could reliably - pull your clothes, draw the gun, work the safety, aim and shoot?

Rule of thumb is to cut down as much as possible on the steps you would need to take in a extreme-pressure situation. As such, I have chosen to only conceal carry DAO or similar actions with no manual safety. In terms of safety, you still have the internal safeties as well as the holster acting as a guard from inadvertently touching the trigger.

I far and away prefer the feel of a SA trigger pull it is just the most comfortable and accurate for me. I have trained to be "adequate" with DAO / Striker Fire just because I feel it is the best compromise for the concealed carry situation.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #8145
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Careful about using a highly modified firearm for self defense. The lawyers will have a field day with you if you end up in court.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #8146
drivingagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Careful about using a highly modified firearm for self defense. The lawyers will have a field day with you if you end up in court.
THis is very good sound advice. I have seen this come up about 10mm pistols and hand loading. So never stat hand loaded ammunition.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #8147
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
That sounds uninformed at best and liberal-ish at the worst.

There is no discernible difference in wound cavities among pistol calibers. Ballistically, a 10MM is better than a .45ACP but shot placement is what counts, not bullet size. A 10MM cartridge is smaller than a .45ACP and it allows more to be carried in the same size pistol. A good read is the recent FBI study that caused them to switch to 9MM. In short, a 9MM has less recoil which promotes faster followups and allows a person to carry more rounds than a larger caliber. Why am I not carrying a 9MM? I do but carry the 10MM more often.

This is why more bullets are better.
I'm in NY. If I carry more than 6 rounds in the mag I'm a felon. So a higher-capacity 9mm does literally nothing for me.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #8148
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
I'm not worried about it. I am within my department's policy for off duty carry guns with it.

This is a serious question: Has there been a court case where an otherwise justified shooting was deemed unjustified because of a highly (a subjective viewpoint) modified firearm? I am not aware of one. If there is one, I would like to read the transcript.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-modified-gun/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I'm in NY. If I carry more than 6 rounds in the mag I'm a felon. So a higher-capacity 9mm does literally nothing for me.
I know you have probably been told this before but I'd move. The government shouldn't be able to limit your natural right to self defense.

Tags
camaro gun