Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #43
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosss View Post
Guys I don't mean to come off like I'm just a cheap scape but I'm looking at this car for the long haul for my kids and throwing another 10k in this car will be a loss no matter how we look at it. They may not be worth anything in 25 or so years but I'm banking on a good investment.
Waayyy off topic, but what the heck is a cheap scape? I assume you meant cheapskate?

cheap·skate /ˈtʃi:pˌskeɪt/ noun
plural cheap·skates
[count] informal : a person who does not like to spend money
▪ He is a cheapskate [=miser, skinflint] who almost never gives tips.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #44
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
So therefore you think dealers would go the other way on the price. And I also think this still doesn't give them the right to charge whatever.
They go the other way every day. When I bought our 2011 Chevy Traverse in June my grand total including tt&l was $5000 less than MSRP. I don't support the "Market Adjustment" and do not buy cars from dealers that do it but it is their decision to make. If I were you, I would tell the dealer MSRP or you walk. Plain and simple. They can either take it or find another sucker but I would not pay 1 penny over MSRP.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #45
ZoomZoom
R6P Owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
sticker

Just do what I did in 09- Found a car just out of Memphis that was on order. Called the salesman and said I wanted it. Pay pal the guy 500. dollars. A few days later my wife decided she had to have the sunroof. Called the salesman back to see if I could back out, He said let me put the manager on the phone. That's when things got ugly. He said it was my car and that was to bad. When it was all said and done, I said "fine I will take it. The car came in and the salesman called to tell me it was in, I said I would be there soon. 1 week later I came up with another excuse. By the second week they realized what was going on and called to say I could get my deposit back because they had someone that wanted it (probably more than msrp.)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #46
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
If you don't like what the dealer is doing, don't buy the car and go to another dealer. You have free choice in the matter and so do the dealers on how much they can charge. Welcome to the world, this is not new...
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #47
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Quote:
Guys I don't mean to come off like I'm just a cheap scape but I'm looking at this car for the long haul for my kids and throwing another 10k in this car will be a loss no matter how we look at it. They may not be worth anything in 25 or so years but I'm banking on a good investment.
In my opinion, this is going to be a horrible investment. Buy the car because you want it, not because you think it's going to pay financially. 99.999999% of all cars are not investments. The smallest percentage are beyond rare and still most of the time fail to beat inflation over 25-30 years. High dollar flukes happen but are not the norm and should not be banked on.
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #48
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Dont be afraid to look out of state. I live in socal and most of the dealers around here either sold out of their allocation or want $5k-$10k markup. I found a sales manager in AZ who is a member on this forum doing MSRP and took his final allocation spot. I'm having the car courtesy delivered from AZ to my local dealership for only $150
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #49
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Dealerships are out to make money, Even if it means taking advantage of you. Don't throw your money away like that. I would never ever pay over MSRP. I dont care how much or how bad I want it. Its a WANT, not a NEED. Think smart and responsible. I'm sure alot of people will pay over MSRP.. Why is beyond me. If I had money to just throw away, I'd donate to St Jude's children hospital. Not to some lame dealership.

Besides, look at it like this, IF you pay over msrp.. lets say by, 10k... the car cost 54k, add 10k to it.. plus taxes and tags and all the other BS fees... you will have 70k tied up in it.. when you drive off the lot, you car will only be worth about 49k... so your upside down 21k already.
NO way under the sun I'd let someone **** me like that. JMO
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #50
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Buying the ZL1 for invoice is key.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #51
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Convertible View Post
The pricing had to have been left open.......orders were accepted before the pricing release which was yesterday.
Negative. I've ordered plenty of cars prior to the price announcement.

On the purchase agreement, on the $__________ line:

$ MSRP
$ Invoice plus $500
$ Invoice less holdback

plenty of ways to nail down the price in writing.

A deposit left with no stipulation as to how the product will be priced is no way to purchase anything. I take my mother's word as gospel, everybody else can put it in writing.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #52
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
I tell you what's going to happen & I hope everyone remembers this....

If a lot of people pay the ADM,the base price on the ZL1 for 2013 is going to go up by $5k or so. When the C6 Z06 was introduced at least 90% of buyers were paying ADM's of anywhere from $5k to as much as $30k.

GM saw this & decided if people were going to pay more than sticker,they'd just raise the MSRP. They wanted a larger piece of the pie. And that's exactly what they did to the tune of $5k more on the base price.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #53
GT FREAK

Drives: 71 Opel Gt, 1931 Model A Tudor blow
$50.00 over invoice

We are selling all of our vehicles at $50.00 over invoice, We have 3 ZL1's sold one available all at event code 3100-3400.
We have 3 stores and all of them sell at $50.00 over,
We are a Chevy/Cadillac store in Deland.
O.B.
GT FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #54
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
I have discussed this issue many many times on this and other boards.

GM -- and ANY other manufacturer cannot tell (or even discuss) what price the dealer can charge for a car or truck. It's called Anti-Trust and people have gone to jail over this issue. (ask the guys at Honda....)

If the dealer wants to charge you a penny - or 10 million - we are prohibited from even discussing it. We ARE required to establish a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price - and under the Monroney Act (1958 to be exact) we must place a label on the vehicle when it's produced that shows clearly the Base MSRP - any options and their MSRP -- plus all destination charges. Since 1958, more laws have been passed - such as the requirement to post where the vehicle was built - what percentage of the components on the vehicle are of North American content -- EPA mileage estimates, etc.

You, as a consumer have the right to say "No - I'm not paying over MSRP" The Dealer also has the right to say "Fine........next?"

Now -- I don't personally like that any dealer charges over MSRP.

That said, let's put this in perspective, shall we?

Let's say that you have a perfect 1970 Camaro SS/RS in Cranberry Red with the Custom Interior and all the toys. It has an original 100,000 miles on the odometer. Let's also say that your brother has a very nice 1970 Camaro Sport Coupe -- a non-RS/SS - 307 powerglide - in Mist Green. It has 70,000 original miles.

Do you suppose that they're worth the same money?

Of course not.

A 1970 SS/RS is much more desireable than a 1970 Sport Coupe with a 307 V8 -- and thus, people will be expected to pay more for the SS/RS......much more!

Another example: You have a N.O.S. interior part for a 1970 Camaro. They are impossible to find. When you purchased it in 1971, you paid $20 for it. It's now worth $750 to someone restoring a 1970 Camaro.

Are you going to charge $20? I don't truly think so.

What we have here is are two examples of "Supply and Demand" -- if Demand outstrips Supply - people will pay more for the product or service. Conversely, if supply outstrips demand, prices drop and we see rebates popping up.

The ZL1 is new and it's desired by many. On the other hand - a dealer who 'sits' on a ZL1 asking way over MSRP may be sitting for a longggggg time......and what happens when the 2013s come out and they're more plentiful? (you can then 'grin' and do the "Toldya So" rain dance in his or her showroom.....)

I understand your disappointment.

Did you sign any documentation? Did it spell out clearly that you would pay "MSRP" for the vehicle? If so - you may have legal recourse (but I'm not an attorney - so you may want to visit with one)

If you did not sign a piece of paper that has specifics - then I don't know that you have anything to stand upon.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you - but please understand when you say "GM needs to address this!" - we cannot. (...well, one of us could, but I don't want to go to prison........and I don't think anyone else at GM wants to either.........)
Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #55
Cabinetman

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I know that dealers have the right to charge over MSRP. I just refuse to pay it. I like having the latest and greatest when I can afford it, but I won't pay a premium just to be the first on the block with it.

When I decided to buy a 2012 Boss 302 I went to a local dealer that had exactly what I wanted. They were asking $5k over sticker. I told them I was a buyer then and there at MSRP. The best they would do was $2500 over. I went home and found another Boss exactly like I wanted at a dealership an hour away that was willing to sell for the MSRP. They did all the paperwork over the phone and delivered it to my house the next day. The dealer also tinted the windows for free. Since then I have bought two more Ford trucks for my business and I never even considered going to that local dealer that wouldn't sell the Boss at sticker. They will never get any of my business again.

I'm currently on the list for a 2013 ZL1 at a dealer that has been charging MSRP for the 2012s. Hopefully, the base price won't go up too much for the 2013, but even if it is a little more I still feel better about waiting and not paying an ADM.
Cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #56
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
holy cheese and crackers - I just noticed that this is an ancient thread -

(oh well - for those who read it - see my posts.....)