Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #29
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Wow, come back from a day at the track and find that I was taken a little out of context. The system is amazing for sure, amazing enough to make a car that was deemed by testers as too heavy and not nimble to suddenly become a ballet dancer. My point is, imagine what this system could do on a car with less weight and a properly sorted base suspension to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
Ferrari adopted the MRC system from GM not the other way around. The ZR1 developed the MRCII system and then it was further refined by Cadillac for the CTS-V which was initial development for the MRCIII on the ZL1. Ferrari took the technology they learned from Cadillac on the MRCII and incorporated it into the 458 Italia. Its still a version of the MRCII so even they are behind the 8 ball compared to the MRCIII on the ZL1. Anywho...thanks for stopping by just to start a fight.
Correct. And they used it on lighter flagship cars to achieve even more greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
"....Pathetic use for such amazing technology......."

I see.

So -- you've driven a ZL1 for how many miles? None. Can I borrow yours?

And you've helped to engineer/design how many different vehicles? Does designing ad campaigns count, then 9. Or zero, if not.

You are treading on very thin ice, my equine friend. So you think that if the Camaro had already been lighter with a better sorted suspension to begin with what we might all be discussing now might in fact be the best American car ever instead of just the best Camaro?

You do not have to be a Camaro Enthusiast to be on this site - but I take exception to 'pathetic use'
exception noted. Perhaps a better term woul be less than optimized use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
Sounds like just a little jealously that his arch rival has
Such a piece of art, such that makes a great car a super car.
It's just a shame that people can't be happy for everyone that
Enjoys a certain brand.
I'm not upset that fords car is faster , but at am pleased with my product
And knowing what I know about the performance of both cars still would make the same choice. I am GM loyal and just don't care for the other products
Available , not any of them. It's a choice ,it's my choice.
There are several brands that go above and beyond the quality and price
Of both of these cars. To be able to afford a car that brings the performance
And engineering that the ZL1 brings is simply magnificent .
Not the slightest bit jealous. But who wouldn't want the magic of this system on their car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
The ZL1 is a heavy car and IMHO needed the Magnetic Ride suspension to simultaneously pull duty as a comfortable daily driver and also a major trackday weapon. That is why I bought the ZL1 over the GT500 as I could have easily afforded the extra $3k for the electronically adjustable bilstein dampers on the Mustang, but they still don't have the complete duality of the ZL1's 3rd gen magneGtic ride system. I will admit the ZL1 could use more Horsepower but as I've said in many other post, the ZL1 has to slot in somewhere between the base corvette and the top notch ZR1...since the Corvette was and always will be Chevy's main sports car.

I hope GM incorporates this latest 3rd gen technology into the C7 corvette (in fact I'd bet my life that they will ) and I'm sure a clean sheet design car such as the C7 which is lighter and more nimble will benefit from the technology but that isn't to say the ZL1 (which is the best camaro ever) shouldn't have been given such equipment
You totally got what I was saying. Thanks for taking the time to properly read and digest my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
For me, the Camaro is too heavy. Mustang is too heavy. Hopefully Corvette doesn't get any heavier. Get the lead out and whatever suspension system underpins these cars will do a MUCH better job.

Hopefully the next gen of all three (and we should see all three new gens within the next three years....that's a lot of three's...anyways...) will be SIGNFICANTLY lighter.

And yes, my bias is weight, no matter how magical the suspension is (ZL1) or how much HP the engine makes (GT500).
Again thanks for the support and understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
Having a bad day or something? Ah, no... A great one actually.

MRC makes sense for ANY performance vehicle as it brakes the fundamental trade-off of ride harshness vs. handling performance.
indeed it does. It has transformed the Range Rover and Camaro into vehicles now praised for the handling and road going manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
All I can say is that this is the best suspension I've experienced in a sports car. Everyone is surprised how smooth it is in the Tour mode and I love how it sticks to the road and how flat the car turns/grips in both modes. I think I've only heard a slight tire squeal twice so far - and I've been turning many times over 1g, with 1.15g once! It is just amazing! I also love the fact that Sport mode quickens/hardens the steering!
GREAT JOB GM!
With question. This system is brilliant. Ever car should have it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
The GM magnetic ride is the best system out there bar none. That is why Ferrari borrows it from GM.there are a number of manufacturers that could benefit from the magnetic suspension on there complete product lines including there sport utilities as this system is used on the Escalade. The 13 GT500 adjustable dampers are not as sophisticated as GM's system. The ability to go from comfort mode to track mode on a ZL1 with the touch of a button is exceptional.
Didn't GM division Delphi (sp?) create this, and is it still part of the restructured GM? In any case I agree this is the best adaptive suspension system in the market and fulfills a promise made long ago by Lotus that I wanted for and never got.

On a final note, I read constant slams toward non Camaro owners and especially Mustang owners for visiting this site. It seems some here think we have no reason to be here. But we do, we are car enthusiasts. And we are here and else where to learn, share, tease and hang and have fun with (mostly) like minded people. I think the problem is perhaps that some C5 people need to visit other sites, see and learn from all the fantastic cars and people out there and realize the Camaro is one of the world's great cars...not the only one.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles

Last edited by Fenderaddict2; 07-01-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #30
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
The original product was created by a little mom & pop shop around 20-25 years a go. I remember seeing the dad and son on the Discovery channel about new inventions. They had with them this bucket of goo, that when they put a voltage to it, it's state changed from liquid to solid in a fraction of a second. Their hope at the time was to sell the product to possibly be used in a military application. GM bought the rights to their product and started using it in the H1, and then it went from there.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #31
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
"Not trying to put the ZL1 down" Then completely call's it a piece...

The ZL1 is lacking in power.... That is it's downfall. Certainly not handling or braking. It really doesn't help that it's on a sedan chassis, the car is massive.

Maybe im missing something! Since when was 580hp lacking?
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
On a final note, I read constant slams toward non Camaro owners and especially Mustang owners for visiting this site. It seems some here think we have no reason to be here. But we do, we are car enthusiasts. And we are here and else where to learn, share, tease and hang and have fun with (mostly) like minded people. I think the problem is perhaps that some C5 people need to visit other sites, see and learn from all the fantastic cars and people out there and realize the Camaro is one of the world's great cars...not the only one.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #33
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Everyone keeps saying the 2013 GT500 is a faster car than the 2012 ZL1. Maybe strictly numbers wise BUT... and a HUGE BUT...

The GT500 had to be nearly 400 Lbs lighter AND have almost 100 whp more than the ZL1 to claim that it's faster.

AND after about 2 laps on any track with more than 4 turns or 10 minutes on any canyon road the ZL1 IS faster because of it's much better designed brakes...

AND the ZL1 has an automatic (option) which will be more consistent and thus better able to WIN consistently at the drag strip which the GT500 is supposed to be so much better at...

AND the ZL1 is "track ready" from the start and with every option available is still significantly cheaper than the GT500 with both Track Oriented Options Packages and all it's fancy options. Like thousands cheaper... Thousands that can be used for minimal upgrades that will both be needed for safety reasons to go faster on the strip and grip reasons. (Example: Cage and Radials/Slicks)

Basically, Ford may have won but it had to bring out a higher price tag and push the limits of it's drive train and technology to do so and then only for the first 2 laps or so...

Just saying... The Zl1 is still the better buy and WILL prove to be the better car for the average weekend enthusiast to enjoy for both ease of use and cost effectiveness...

But, If someone was going to give me own or the other I wouldn't complain at all!
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #34
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Joe View Post
Maybe im missing something! Since when was 580hp lacking?
The moment you can get a 662 Horsepower Car for cheaper?

580 HP isn't lacking but in a car as heavy as the Camaro it is...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #35
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
Where can you get a 662 hp car cheaper?
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
You may think the reason for the comments is because you're car guys and we're not, but the real reason is because there are dozens of Mustang fans who simply troll these forums. I'm surprised you haven't seen them.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #37
PNYSLAR
Summit White 2012 ZL1 M6

Drives: 2010 BLACK 2SS/RS M6 Delvd 8/24/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
"....Pathetic use for such amazing technology......."

I see.

So -- you've driven a ZL1 for how many miles?

And you've helped to engineer/design how many different vehicles?

You are treading on very thin ice, my equine friend.

You do not have to be a Camaro Enthusiast to be on this site - but I take exception to 'pathetic use'
What he said
2012 Summit White ZL1 Manual 6sp Blk 10 spoke, "Thanks Champion Chevrolet" delivered 6/9/2012 #1588
PNYSLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #38
cosmoZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 "Scarlett", 6 spd. Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
You may think the reason for the comments is because you're car guys and we're not, but the real reason is because there are dozens of Mustang fans who simply troll these forums. I'm surprised you haven't seen them.
Hasn't seen them? Doesn't he have a mirror? ANYTIME you go on a forum and critisize the product the forums are devoted to? Did someone say troll? How can anyone with an IQ above 2 expect ANYTHING different? Kills me. Then tries to hide behind the "I'm just a car guy" excuse. While I agree all should be welcome here to read and post intelligently? Don't put in chedder and expect to get back swiss.
cosmoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #39
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Oh I've seen them. Been called one. But most of the "trolling" posts have been people trying to set records straight. And a few others baiting the few tightly wound here. Still none are as bad as our own Shelby owning nutbar on TMS. Thing is, he used to bait us all the time... Now we just get a kick out of his attempts. We've all grown too wise.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 07-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoZL1 View Post
Hasn't seen them? Doesn't he have a mirror? ANYTIME you go on a forum and critisize the product the forums are devoted to? Did someone say troll? How can anyone with an IQ above 2 expect ANYTHING different? Kills me. Then tries to hide behind the "I'm just a car guy" excuse. While I agree all should be welcome here to read and post intelligently? Don't put in chedder and expect to get back swiss.
Hey CosmoZL1, when is your car due? Should be soon, no?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #41
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
I'd like the MRS on my 4th gen. It's light.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #42
101fng

Drives: 2009 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus88 View Post
Everyone keeps saying the 2013 GT500 is a faster car than the 2012 ZL1. Maybe strictly numbers wise BUT... and a HUGE BUT...

The GT500 had to be nearly 400 Lbs lighter AND have almost 100 whp more than the ZL1 to claim that it's faster.
That's kind of stretching the truth a little bit. 400lbs? you nearly doubled the weight difference.

Quote:
AND after about 2 laps on any track with more than 4 turns or 10 minutes on any canyon road the ZL1 IS faster because of it's much better designed brakes...
they're brembos. what exactly is the difference between the brakes on the zl1 and those on the 500?

Quote:
AND the ZL1 has an automatic (option) which will be more consistent and thus better able to WIN consistently at the drag strip which the GT500 is supposed to be so much better at...
a capable driver behind the wheel may not negate the consistency of a good auto tranny, but a capable driver in a manual car can negate the shifting speed of an auto tranny. i'm not even going to mention these so called "launch controls" that nobody uses.

Quote:
AND the ZL1 is "track ready" from the start and with every option available is still significantly cheaper than the GT500 with both Track Oriented Options Packages and all it's fancy options. Like thousands cheaper... Thousands that can be used for minimal upgrades that will both be needed for safety reasons to go faster on the strip and grip reasons. (Example: Cage and Radials/Slicks)
fair observation. but the "stock vs. mods with money saved" has been beaten to death all over the internet. but that's not to say that it won't play a part in the real world.

Quote:
Basically, Ford may have won but it had to bring out a higher price tag and push the limits of it's drive train and technology to do so and then only for the first 2 laps or so...
if you consider stroking an engine to be "pushing the limits of technology" then yes, ford pushed the limits. there's nothing new about stroking mod motors, nothing new about the TVS2300s, nothing new about the tr6060, nothing new about the ford 8.8, nothing new about a CF driveshaft, adjustable dampers are nothing new, and neither is an oil cooler. it's still the same old technology that every hotrodder has been using for decades.

Quote:
Just saying... The Zl1 is still the better buy and WILL prove to be the better car for the average weekend enthusiast to enjoy for both ease of use and cost effectiveness...

But, If someone was going to give me own or the other I wouldn't complain at all!
sorry to nitpick. lots of good points though (especially your last one).
101fng is offline   Reply With Quote