Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-08-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Biggest overlooked problem with LSA

This is a huge problem from our perspective as we continue to see cars coming in with Air in the intercooler system.

People have been driving around for years with reduced power and never know it.

Air in the intercooler system can actually stop the pump from running as it monitors electrical load from pumping water, and will turn off as not to burn up the pump. (pump self protection)

Even if there is not enough air in the system to shut the pump down you will have high intake air temps which reduces Air density, which in turn reduces fuel delivery and ignition timing, so we have seen as much as 50 HP loss from this situation.

This simple tool from JRE makes filling and bleeding a dream.

Simply install this in place of the cap, To remove the cap turn the cap to straight up position, twist the cap 1/4 turn in either direction and pull straight up.

Then install the tool by simply inserting it, ( it will lock in same as cap) fill it with coolant start the car and let it run until no more bubbles are floating to the top of the coolant.

Often times you have to keep adding coolant as it gets drawn in in place of air.

Just keep the bottle about half full during the process.

Place a rag under the fitting, and remove the bottle capturing what you can with your finger.

Reinstall the cap and your done.

HORSEPOWER RESTORED.

https://jannettyracing.com/products/...cadillac-cts-v
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
Burton5251

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 M6 Coupe
Thumbs up

Honestly this is one of the best things I have purchased. Literally could not be easier to bled the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
This is a huge problem from our perspective as we continue to see cars coming in with Air in the intercooler system.

People have been driving around for years with reduced power and never know it.

Air in the intercooler system can actually stop the pump from running as it monitors electrical load from pumping water, and will turn off as not to burn up the pump. (pump self protection)

Even if there is not enough air in the system to shut the pump down you will have high intake air temps which reduces Air density, which in turn reduces fuel delivery and ignition timing, so we have seen as much as 50 HP loss from this situation.

This simple tool from JRE makes filling and bleeding a dream.

Simply install this in place of the cap, To remove the cap turn the cap to straight up position, twist the cap 1/4 turn in either direction and pull straight up.

Then install the tool by simply inserting it, ( it will lock in same as cap) fill it with coolant start the car and let it run until no more bubbles are floating to the top of the coolant.

Often times you have to keep adding coolant as it gets drawn in in place of air.

Just keep the bottle about half full during the process.

Place a rag under the fitting, and remove the bottle capturing what you can with your finger.

Reinstall the cap and your done.

HORSEPOWER RESTORED.

https://jannettyracing.com/products/...cadillac-cts-v
2013 M6 Victory Red Coupe | Roto-Fab Intake | Ceramic Coated Kooks 1 7/8” Headers | 2.55” Upper | 9.06” Lower | CSP Custom Grind Cam | DSX AUX & Flex Fuel Sensor | ID1050X | TR7IX | Taylor Wires | E2-X Ultra Catch Can |CSP Tuned W/ HPT | E85: 704/718 (SAE 5)| 93: 655/638 (SAE 5)
Burton5251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Does a reservoir eliminate this problem?
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
Yes, provided it is placed high, the reservoir will self-bleed.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Yes, provided it is placed high, the reservoir will self-bleed.
In my experience it does not because the water flow stirs air in to the water.

Also storing water in an hot engine compartment just adds heat to the water.

Keep it the way it is and just bleed it.

Ted.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Where does this screw in? I'm wondering about getting it for my LSA supercharger on my 2010 SS (ADM Conversion).
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
I looked into this and went to purchase but the cheapest shipping is $19 for a $35 dollar part that weighs 3oz. Shipped one state over. Why so high Ted?
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The piece that goes into the supercharger is that just like the piece that is already there? Then you just drill a hole in it and put the brass fitting into that and ad a couple o rings then get the other piece at any hardware store to screw onto the bottle? Looks like it to me. Am I wrong?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
Little Walter

I have two ZL's with heat exchangers and reservoirs and have never experienced the air problem, when I remove the cap from the reservoirs water is moving. I did experience this problem once prior to adding the reservoir and heat exchanger.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Walter View Post
I have two ZL's with heat exchangers and reservoirs and have never experienced the air problem, when I remove the cap from the reservoirs water is moving. I did experience this problem once prior to adding the reservoir and heat exchanger.
Right. I've had my Z for nearly five years. I placed a hex and D3 in, and have never had air entrapment, or overheating.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
OK is the water perfectly clear or does it look like soda.

Ted.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #12
Little Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
OK is the water perfectly clear or does it look like soda.

Ted.
It is flowing as clear as the water flowing in the radiator, definitely not even close to soda.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:24 PM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1

Does the coolant look like yellow Mountain Dew or Orange Fanta soda? The supercharger brick prefers zero calorie by the way.

I bought my ZL1 from a knowledgable Camaro guy but it was quite low on SC coolant and didn't have dexcool in it FWIW.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:27 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
It is flowing as clear as the water flowing in the radiator, definitely not even close to soda.
That is good but how much heat is being added to the coolant due to storing it under the hood Hottest place in the car.

Ted.