Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Chevy Camaro
Question On Chrome Wheels/Brake Covers

Hey guys . So I posted pics of my Camaro in the pics section, but for more pics you can view a photobucket here:

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Te...0Inch%20Chrome

So here's my question. I believe I was in such a "rush" to put my 24 inch chrome wheels on, that I rushed through the purchase at the rim shop and got a selection that I didn't want. While most guys ARE NOT like this in terms of preference of wheels, I prefer wheels that are more "closed" without a lot of open space in between them showing the rotors and calibers.

But the rim I picked, you can see the rotor and caliber, even though it's not as much open space as other rims, but you can see it.

Can you guys give me any suggestions on maybe trading in the wheels? The place I bought them from won't do it, their policy is once they are on and you drive off the lot, that's it.

I was looking at maybe buying brake covers, they would be placed behind the chrome wheels which would also protect brake dust from getting on the wheels but at the same time it would "close up" that open space to where you can't see the rotor and calibers. BUT, I'm being told by my local auto shop that these brake covers would overheat the brakes....
Tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Ethanman

Drives: Black 2011 SS
No

I don't buy that unless your taking it to a track for competitive racing
Ethanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Can't help you with this one. Seems like if the shop you dealt with was wanting to help, they'd cut you a deal on something more suitable to your liking and take what you have in on a trade, unless of course they were special ordered. I don't understand how you got something you didn't really want.
MGP makes a caliper cover that is made of aircraft aluminum which serves as a dust deflector as well as a cooler because it draws heat from the caliper and and disperses it away from the brakes. They work and I had them on my V6.
You can find them from their site direct and on ebay.
Back to the 24" wheel, I know everyone has their own taste but that's a big wheel. I know a guy here locally who had 24"s and he had rub issues. Could be he didn't do his homework in assuring he had the correct offset but he rubbed. I have 22" and no rub issues whatsoever. I also spent a great deal of time looking for my wheels before pulling the trigger on them. I've had my current set since for a little while but I started looking for new wheels a little over a year ago. Just when I think I have what I want, I find something else but I'm in no hurry, as I want the right wheel and I want what I want. When I see it, I'll know it.

Anyway, good luck with the search. I suppose if you still have your OEM's you could put them back on and push come to shove, take those to a Pawn Shop and see if they can come close to mitigating your loss.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Maybe it's just the lighting in your pics, but I can't see the calipers. I can't tell if you've got a V6 or an SS--the brakes are the biggest quick visual distinction for me. One problem you need to look out for is curb rash. If you hit a curb and scratch the chrome you'll never be able to polish the scratches out. That's why I sold my first set of Forgelines and bought new ones with polished lips. I'm kind of anal about things like that.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
24 inch wheels wow... i would paint the calibers where you can see them and they match the rim and car.... i would want them to stick out at this point... unless you are going to buy new rims.. 24 inch rims wow wow wow
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote