Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
joseph.lord344

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Is this normal?

About a week ago i installed my SP headers with offroad pipes. I only drive my car to work an back which is 10 miles each way. i am getting a tune this weekend, however i have not yet had a check engine light come on. i thought as soon as my car turned on it would be on. I have been told that with me driving only ~10 miles then turning it off, that it hasnt had enough time to warm up to cause the engine light. is this true? anybody have a similar experience? thanks for any help.
Muffler Delete, Skip Shift Eliminator, Billet "Camaro" Reservoir Caps. Ported TB, Ported Intake Manifold, Stainless Power 1 7/8" with offroad pipes, MGW Short Shifter, Procharger P1SC-1 HO kit, Mighty Mouse Catch Can.
joseph.lord344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
There is some truth to the the claim, sort of. All the sensors and emissions stuff have counters (not 'counters' but I can't think of the word I'm looking for, maybe 'monitors') that get reset if you have the battery disconnected for some time. Here in PA your car will not pass emmisions if to many are not reset or ready yet. You have to drive the car and run it through these cycles, worst case it takes about 50 miles or so. Regarding 10 miles? Not sure but it should be enough time if there's a real issue.

So, is it normal? Sure.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I think you can almost guarantee a CEL with LTH's and HFC's at some point, but that time/mileage varies greatly. I've got around 100 miles on mine since adding them, with one run over 40 miles, and no CEL so far. Waiting on a remote tune from DynoSteve. There are several monitors within the emissions system that If not in "ready" mode will force a CEL. This will show as a red light on most OBDII code readers. I've read of some guys going a lot longer without a CEL using non-green cats.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote