Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #71
Seneca SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS --
I Raced dirt track for years and can see that in NO WAY would Tony EVER do that on purpose !!!!!! The Driver ran down the track at Tony and those tracks are darker than they look and things happen so fast there is no time to react--I have been to that track a few time---FYI--I am not a Tony Fan but do respect him as a driver and send prayers to the Ward family and Tony

Horse Power is where its at !!!!!
Seneca SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #72
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I'm not a Tony fan at all, but I'm also not going to condemn him because of my feelings for him. It's very hard from that video to tell exactly what happen, but one thing is for sure. You don't go chasing after moving 900hp race cars.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #73
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
The sound heard is a short blip of the throttle corresponding exactly to the motion his car makes as he hits Ward.

It was the sound of Tony's car.

No other car on the track would have a reason to blip the throttle at that time.
I think it was Tony's car as well but these cars turn like crap and the best way to turn them is with the throttle. I personally think he saw him and hit the gas to try and move away from him as it shows in the video, unfortunately he hit him.

All in all the kid should have never gotten out of his damn car. That is the stupidest thing anyone can do on a race track unless your car is in a ball of flames.

But who really knows. None of us are experts or professional race car drivers nor were we there to see it with our own eyes. This is a tragic event that should have never taken place but the young dumb kid let anger get the better of him and run around on a race track with a lot of cars at high speed.

Last edited by CHMSC; 08-11-2014 at 08:10 AM.
CHMSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #74
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
We obviously have a lot of Tony Stewart fans on this forum.. lol
Old 08-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #75
SubSonic

Drives: 2014 SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
I think it was Tony's car as well but these cars turn like crap and the best way to turn them is with the throttle. I personally think he saw him and hit the gas to try and move away from him as it shows in the video, unfortunately he hit him.

All in all the kid should have never gotten out of his damn car. That is the stupidest thing anyone can do on a race track unless your car is in a ball of flames.

But who really knows. None of us are experts or professional race car drivers nor were we there to see it with our own eyes. This is a tragic event that should have never taken place but the young dumb kid let anger get the better of him and run around on a race track with a lot of cars at high speed.
I tend to agree. If we take the leap for a moment that is was Tony's car on the throttle, then the situation still makes sense. Steering input is little to none on these cars. The way the cars are set up, throttle will turn you left. So in trying to avoid, throttling to go left, his rear kicked out and hit Ward.

All armchair speculation. I don't think we have more than opinion right now.

Sucks for all parties, especially the one that lost their life, however stupid it may have been. But, I'm sure a lawsuit will brew in the wake.
SubSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #76
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 16 Encore, 07 G6, 99 Astro, 16 VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
We obviously have a lot of Tony Stewart fans on this forum.. lol
And a lot if Tony Stewart haters too...
Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #77
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '00 Silverado Z71
Hard to pass judgement based on one little video clip from one angle.........looks like a horribly tragic event set in motion by an all around set of bad circumstances/decisions.
I can't imagine how Tony feels right now no matter what the real reason for the collision is. My gut says there's no way that was intentional.....I just hope, he couldn't see Ward till it was too late and wasn't trying to scare him.....
Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #78

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Sad deal, but not too surprising...

IMO it was inevitable given the confrontational, in your face, I'm a bad-ass crap that gets ratings and media coverage these days...It's too bad NASCAR and TV covered auto racing in general was turned into the WWF (with cars) years ago....Only the consequences are real...

I hope the next so-called "Professional" driver that takes out other cars, or chases down other drivers or team members from an accident that he's pissed about remembers what happened here...
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #79
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Tony's not at fault at all IMO. He's out there racing on dirt because of his passion for the sport. Why is he in the wrong? You're out on a dirt track in a black suit with poor lighting; walking towards traffic. It's tragic the kid died; the after action for this... Driver's can't exit their cars until emergency personnel get to their car, unless it's on fire etc... Then you exit the track. If not Darwin win always win. I'm sure the family will sue because everyone in 'Merica is sue happy.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #80
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
The sound heard is a short blip of the throttle corresponding exactly to the motion his car makes as he hits Ward.

It was the sound of Tony's car.

No other car on the track would have a reason to blip the throttle at that time.
Have you been to a dirt track watching a yellow flag procedure during a lighting Sprint car race? I did last week. They all blip the trottle onto the strait and skid the back end for 5 yards. I'm.not sure why they do it. Maybe to show off or practice but its not to warm up the tires for sure...

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 08-11-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #81
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, sprint cars do not have a transmission as we think of them, but an In/Out box, so no downshifting is likely. It's either in or out of forward drive.

Racing is dangerous because people are involved.
Continue to pray.
Correct, direct drive, different size tires side to side and lots of other "abnormal" features. No clutch, no transmission, they are either in gear or out of gear. They can do unpredictable things even in the hands of a seasoned professional.
As others have said, stupid move, a moment of anger results in a tragic death. RIP
Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #82
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
To show the people that are less informed. Here is what a sprint car looks like up close. Then put yourself in the drivers seat and tell me how much you can see on the right side of the car. Also apply my previous post.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #83
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
To show the people that are less informed. Here is what a sprint car looks like up close. Then put yourself in the drivers seat and tell me how much you can see on the right side of the car. Also apply my previous post.

wow...good point and post
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #84
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 16 Encore, 07 G6, 99 Astro, 16 VW
I don't know if anyone has see this on Facebook or not so I will post it.
Attached Images