Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Buick is not on the ropes here at all. It's a profit machine and is generating more conquest sales than any other GM brand. Plus higher ATPs than Chevrolet could ever dream of generating.

And GMC and Chevrolet trucks are exactly the same, minus packaging and some design differences. That's why the brand is so profitable, GM really doesn't have to do much more.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
I would just like all of the silver and beige cars gone. That's it, other than that I don't care.

That said, Ford should have dropped Lincon and kept Merc. GM should have dropped Buick in North America and kept Pontiac, let Buick stay Chinese focused because honestly why do we care about a communist economy where they steal and copy anything we bring over? IMHO the chevy sedans are all NA needs. If they want something upscale buy a caddy and quit importing (if they do) these rebadged opals for excessive shipping costs. But then again the bean counters would rather force some other country to do the work while they push paper for outrageous personal pay.

I agree GMC should be the exclusive truck and large SUV vendor for GM as a whole. Its silly that people argue against the firebird when the silverado/sierra do the EXACT same thing. I highly doubt GM would lose truck sales if they get rid of the Silverado, and have a chevy based appearance package available for the GMC.

I don't understand how Mitsubishi, Acura, and volvo have stayed in business. Their cars/suv/cuvs are horrible and just another boring clone of a-b mobiles.

Mazda's at least have somewhat of an image, and they do interesting things like the Speed 3 and whatnot. I personally HATE the miata, mainly the drivers of the vehicles are mostly douchebags that have a chip on their shoulder because they drive a girls car. The styling is so feminine in a bad way yet people adore them. I do suspect that a RX successor is in the pipes for them.
The problem with keeping Pontiac is that the brand had a terrible reputation among owners of competing brands. Essentially, they tended to imagine Pontiac owners as rednecks and trailer trash. In order to grow Pontiac's sales, they'd have to undertake a massive revitalization campaign to turn the image around simply to get others to consider the brand.

And what would they sell? Based off of the replies in this thread, selling reworked Chevy's is a terrible idea (and GM somewhat agreed, as evidenced by the lack of plans for a renewed Firebird). They tried returning to their performance image and the G8, Solstice, and GTO had mediocre sales at best, so that wasn't going to work. Only thing left is to go into a different direction. One idea was to turn it into a competitor to Scion, making small urban cars that the kiddies will love ... personally, I'd rather they kill the brand than see a boxy little 2012 Pontiac G2 based off the Spark running around.

Buicks on the other hand were still viewed as still being decent cars and a decent brand, but people usually said that the car just wasn't for them -perhaps for their neighbour or uncle or a friend, but not them personally. The solution to that is to simply build better cars & inject a bit of life into the brand. They did that & sales took off.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
put on the wider lens, see the bigger picture. Ok now, just because their cars are not selling here doesnt mean they are not selling in the rest of the world.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
FenwickHockey65

And seriously, if you guys had seen the future plans for Pontiac had it survived, there wasn't anything different. The next-gen G6 was just going to be a rebadged Malibu. The next-gen G5 was going to be a rebadged Cruze.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
I think all the oter ones have pretty well been covered, i personally disagree with Mazda. They are now using their own platforms and their skyactive tech seems popular, the new CS-5 is well received and the new 6 seems very interesting, not to mention a new MUCH lighter Miata do in a year or so.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5RocksC5 View Post
put on the wider lens, see the bigger picture. Ok now, just because their cars are not selling here doesnt mean they are not selling in the rest of the world.

I understand what people are saying, so keep selling Buick in China and dissolve them in the states. Maybe C5 is not the community that buys Buick, but I never see them listed under drives on here. I also never see them on the road, or hear people talking about them. I think the Regal GS Turbo is a great car, but I never see them on the road. The Verano is like a Cruze, but I see a lot more of the Cruze on the road. The Enclave has a lot of luxury, but I see one for every 5 Traverses. Chevy could make the LTZ trim Buick quality and call it a day.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Why would you dissolve the silverado when it outsells the Sierra? Makes no sense to me, oh wait maybe because I am a Chevy owner?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353110832.452276.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  252.5 KB

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #22
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
I understand what people are saying, so keep selling Buick in China and dissolve them in the states. Maybe C5 is not the community that buys Buick, but I never see them listed under drives on here. I also never see them on the road, or hear people talking about them. I think the Regal GS Turbo is a great car, but I never see them on the road. The Verano is like a Cruze, but I see a lot more of the Cruze on the road. The Enclave has a lot of luxury, but I see one for every 5 Traverses. Chevy could make the LTZ trim Buick quality and call it a day.
That's your reasoning behind killing Buick here? Because you never see any?

I suppose we should just ignore the fact that they've sold over 150,000 units YTD already.

Verano and Cruze share the same platform and nothing else. Powertrains are different, interiors are different, exterior is different. Plus it starts $7k more than a Cruze, yet is arguably a sales success, carving out a new segment in the entry-level luxury market that Acura's now trying to get into with the ILX.

Enclave, same story. Of course you'll see more of a cheaper car. That's like wondering why you see more Toyotas than Bentleys on the road.

There is simply no logical reason to kill Buick in the US. They're selling well, they are bringing new (mostly former import owners) into the GM fold, and they're profitable.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
That's your reasoning behind killing Buick here? Because you never see any?

I suppose we should just ignore the fact that they've sold over 150,000 units YTD already.

Verano and Cruze share the same platform and nothing else. Powertrains are different, interiors are different, exterior is different. Plus it starts $7k more than a Cruze, yet is arguably a sales success, carving out a new segment in the entry-level luxury market that Acura's now trying to get into with the ILX.

Enclave, same story. Of course you'll see more of a cheaper car. That's like wondering why you see more Toyotas than Bentleys on the road.

There is simply no logical reason to kill Buick in the US. They're selling well, they are bringing new (mostly former import owners) into the GM fold, and they're profitable.

I see plenty of 3 series BMWs, and Chevy Tahoes that cost 50 to 60K on the road?? The fact that Buicks cost a little more, does not account for their absence on the road. Again GMCs cost a little more than the Chevy trucks, but I also see them on the road. Hey, if they are selling keep them around, I just don't see people having much interest in them I was on the Buick lot the other day and they had a ton of old stock and they all had big money off. The whole having two of the same car did not work out well before, and I don't see it working out (long term in the U.S.) in the future. GM is the last manufacturer selling clone cars, that are not in its luxury brand.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #24
FenwickHockey65

All right. Something everyone needs to learn is that personal anecdotes about what you see on your daily commute has absolutely no bearing on national or global sales.

Again, one of the highest conquest rates in the industry. Bringing in new customers to the GM fold is key right now, and that shows people are showing interest in the new Buick products.

As for two of the same car, the Enclave and Traverse are the closest you're going to get and even that's a hard argument for you to make considering the myriad of design differences between the two. LaCrosse is a standalone model and Verano, Regal, and Encore have no counterparts in the US market.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #25
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
Quote:
I see plenty of 3 series BMWs, and Chevy Tahoes that cost 50 to 60K on the road?? The fact that Buicks cost a little more, does not account for their absence on the road. Again GMCs cost a little more than the Chevy trucks, but I also see them on the road. Hey, if they are selling keep them around, I just don't see people having much interest in them I was on the Buick lot the other day and they had a ton of old stock and they all had big money off. The whole having two of the same car did not work out well before, and I don't see it working out (long term in the U.S.) in the future. GM is the last manufacturer selling clone cars, that are not in its luxury brand.
One word...Demographics
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #26
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

4. GMC- I love their trucks but along with Buick they can merge into Chevy. Chevy regular cars/trucks -- Caddy fancy cars/trucks

So I read this wrong lol. I was thinking you said GM should merge with Chevy haha....I had myself allll effed up in the head.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #27
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
5. Lotus- does anybody buy these?

Yes, but... Their new Exige has been put on hold again... After they kicked out D. Bahar, they haven't put out many cars to customers to be honest...
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #28
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
The Chevy brand has twenty times the loyalty of any GMC. The bowtie on a truck is here to stay. The idea of GMC being the only truck is just...