Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #43
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
I drive with TC off quite often but always leave on stabilitrack. Traction control doesn't stop the wheels from spinning anyways but does pull timing and effects performance so that's why I keep it off. If it's raining though I keep everything on and drive extremely carefully and accelerate slowly, don't like driving in the rain at all in this car.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #44
Angelsilhouette

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The numbers are very few - and when you consider what you get BECAUSE of computers versus not having them......I'll take 'em every time.

I'm reminded of something a friend of mine said as we were piling into another friend's car when we were teenagers. When asked to put his seatbelt on he refused, saying: "My uncle knows a guy who was in an accident and was paralysed from the waist down because he was in the back seat wearing his seatbelt!" which, in his mind, completely invalidated the thousands of lives saved by seatbelt usage.

Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #45
blizzpat
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS
I turn stabilitrak off when I drive off cliffs to fly
blizzpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #46
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Wht does the line under our member names mean. Mines all grey and full length, some are same length but part yello?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #47
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
I've been driving performance cars for just over 24 years. Starting with a 67 camaro with a 383 4 speed. I always thought I had a handle on the driving thing. Making the car an extension of the driver has been fairly easy for me. Maybe I'm old and slow, maybe the road had some magic sand on it.

I was not driving responsibly.

Either way I lost control just for a brief few seconds. That has never happened before in 30 years of driving. Well save that one time in the snow in my 76 trans am.

I am not "mad" at the car for not saving me. I am just sharing my experience with those who Could benefit from my stupidity.

What happens when the computer goes out and you can't save yourself? - I still think the computer saves too many people from the Darwin award. I believe people should know how to drive before buying a sports car. I thought I knew how to drive qnd suppose I do know. I did save it in the end. We came to a stop safe and sound. It could have easily ended with a news story.
car can get ya in trouble in a "big got damn hurry"..tons of power all across the power band!..power is immediate,and plenty,and you can get "overwhelmed" easily! definitely a "big boys" toy!..especially have to be careful when other cars are in close proximity to you,because,sooo much power,ya got to "feather" the throttle!.don't matter,6 or 8!..(hot damn!)
just sayin!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #48
stevea

Drives: just a car
I can't belive the lack of driving skill that drivers have today. Come on people get a grip. I drove my Silverado today and spun tires coming off a right hand turn and fishtailed. OMG OMG the drama, where is my computer, what shall I do???? The beast has to much power for me! Give me a freakin break. Semi bald tires and to much gas was the issue. It was actually fun, I didn't let off and drove the truck , basic driving 101. Anybody remember the old Clint Eastwood movie where he says "a man has to know his limitations"? Think about it.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #49
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
My tires are just fine. Far from bald. They are 19s all season and are bit less sticky than the 20s with summer compound. Low speed power slides are fun... He'll I consider it a hobby. At 40mph+ its far from fun. Just saying.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #50
QBert
Traction Control Hater

Drives: 1968 SS and 2010 SS
I wish the TC and Stabilitrac not to mention on star could be options. How much more reasonable would the pricing be if these accessories were optional. I for one am in the habit of ALWAYS holding the damn button for seven seconds after starting the engine. I can not debate the safety they provide for the general public. No offense F-Bod Father but mine stays off.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #51
Slick1
New Guy

Drives: Black 2011 1SS.
I never really gave a thought to driving around with it off before this thread. The only times I've ever had it off is when I was in a safe spot and beating on her a little.

Does it really make that much of a difference for just cruising?
Slick1 is offline   Reply With Quote