Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #29
Shtiggs

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
My modded stock driveshaft
Thanks for the Pic, that is pretty cool. I am about to take the DSS shaft out and sell it. Just sticking to the stock one with solid couplers seems like the way to go for now. I really want to get the DSS shaft to a local shop to verify balance. Does anyone have experience with the solid couplers on the stock two piece shaft?
Shtiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #30
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I have a DSS shaft an haven’t had any issues an I run past 100 more than I should, really pressing my luck. Have you guys that are having issues re-clocked them?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #31
jethrobandit

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS
Mine was brand new and too long. Sent back and they claim it was rebalanced after cutting. They told me to try flipping it, but the bolts aren’t long enough because the flange has to follow driveshaft end. Ordered some, but had to put stock one on for now.

My question, can I use those solid flanges with the stock shaft if the DSS still doesn’t work? Combined width is the same as the combined stock rubber flanges.
BTR Stage 3 :: GM 3.91 :: Eaton TrueTrac :: SW LT Headers :: Elite Catch Can :: CAI :: ADM Cold Scoop :: VMAX ported TB :: Forza 3Way :: BMR Lowering Springs/Toe Rods/Lower CA/Trailing Arms/Subframe Bushings
jethrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #32
Shtiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I have a DSS shaft an haven’t had any issues an I run past 100 more than I should, really pressing my luck. Have you guys that are having issues re-clocked them?
I have not had a chance to do that yet. I did have the long shaft issue where they had to recut it as it was too long. I will be doing that here soon but I doubt that is the issue. Hopefully I can get that done this weekend and let you know.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #33
Shtiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobandit View Post
Mine was brand new and too long. Sent back and they claim it was rebalanced after cutting. They told me to try flipping it, but the bolts aren’t long enough because the flange has to follow driveshaft end. Ordered some, but had to put stock one on for now.

My question, can I use those solid flanges with the stock shaft if the DSS still doesn’t work? Combined width is the same as the combined stock rubber flanges.
I don't think that you can use the solid flanges with the stock shaft. The rear flange on the DSS shaft is four bolt and stock is three and the rubber coupler is much thinner.

I also am pretty sure that they want you to rotate the shaft on the diff side 180 degrees. Just remove the four bolts and rotate, not an end for end flip from trans to diff. If they did suggest that, the person you were talking to did not know what the product looks like.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #34
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I never liked when I had a DSS shaft installed. Too much vibrations and noise for a shaft. I really hated it once the threads on the metal spacers stripped out and other bolts got seized. I took the POS out and put my factory shaft back in. Much smoother. The two piece shaft has a higher critical speed than a one piece.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #35
Shtiggs

So I had a chance to get the shaft rotated 180 degrees on the diff side and the vibration has all but disappeared. This tells me the balance of the shaft is off. I seriously wonder if it was not rebalanced after the "repair". Not very happy with the quality of the part thus far. Lets see what @DriveshaftShop says this go around....
Old 03-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #36
jethrobandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtiggs View Post
So I had a chance to get the shaft rotated 180 degrees on the diff side and the vibration has all but disappeared. This tells me the balance of the shaft is off. I seriously wonder if it was not rebalanced after the "repair". Not very happy with the quality of the part thus far. Lets see what @DriveshaftShop says this go around....

So you only rotated 180 on the diff side and not changing the transmission side? Will try that when I feel like attempting the install again.
BTR Stage 3 :: GM 3.91 :: Eaton TrueTrac :: SW LT Headers :: Elite Catch Can :: CAI :: ADM Cold Scoop :: VMAX ported TB :: Forza 3Way :: BMR Lowering Springs/Toe Rods/Lower CA/Trailing Arms/Subframe Bushings
Old 03-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #37
Shtiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobandit View Post
So you only rotated 180 on the diff side and not changing the transmission side? Will try that when I feel like attempting the install again.
Yes, only rotate the diff end of the shaft using the 4 bolts on the ujoint. Here is the exact quote from an email that Driveshaft Shop sent me.

Quote:
One thing we always ask people to do if they do notice a vibration is to unbolt the rear of the shaft, rotate it 180*, and then bolt it back up.

What we are looking for here is a change in which the speed of the vibration occurs.

If the speed at which it occurs DOES change, most likely it has something to do with the balance of the shaft or the CV units could possibly have a little too much play in them.

If the speed at which the vibration occurs DOES NOT change, this typically indicates the vibration is actually just resonating through the driveshaft.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:22 PM   #38
Shtiggs

Well.... sending it back to be put on the balancer, AGAIN, is the answer. Paying shipping, AGAIN, is left to me. This driveshaft is quickly becoming very expensive and I am very disappointed with how DSS is handling it. Something needs to give here....
Old 03-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #39
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
At some point I would try a local driveshaft shop and see if they can fix it. Shipping a driveshaft has got to be expensive.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:25 PM   #40
Shtiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
At some point I would try a local driveshaft shop and see if they can fix it. Shipping a driveshaft has got to be expensive.
It is expensive, but finding a local shop to do a 9K RPM balance like DSS is supposed to do would be a harder task.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #41
jethrobandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtiggs View Post
Yes, only rotate the diff end of the shaft using the 4 bolts on the ujoint. Here is the exact quote from an email that Driveshaft Shop sent me.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. They did NOT communicate very clearly with me on what needed to be done and then wouldn't answer any responses beyond that. Just ghosted me.

I will say that indexing it did fix it for me. I still feel a little bit on the lower end, a humming vibration in 1st and 2nd below 3k. Otherwise, it is EXACTLY what this car needed. So much cleaner linkage between the clutch/transmission and differential. Actually easier to drive.

I really hope you can find a resolution on yours because it is well worth the result when it works. If mine didn't work this time, I was going to turn it into a lamp though...
Old 06-15-2021, 01:35 PM   #42
Shtiggs

Finally got the driveshaft back. The weights were removed and there are different ones mounted in new locations now. This leads me to believe that the shaft did not get rebalanced after it was shortened and a real quality control issue in my eyes. I have now had this shaft in twice since purchase for RMA repairs due to quality control issues. I will hopefully get the shaft in and tested within the next few days.