Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
desertCAMAROflage

Drives: 2000 Tahoe 4x4
Newbie first post, race SS5

Hi, everyone! Glad to be here, and I am looking forward to all the discussion and information that will be shared in the months and years to come! I want to race (road/track, closed course). I first considered an Asian import due to price, weight, stock horsepower, handling, parts availability, and end result. Now, the SS5 is looking better and better, because I'll have more than 100 bhp stock out of the box, and save $10,000 out of the showroom! The biggest challenge at this time is the stock SS5 balance is biased to the front, causing the vehicle to plow through turns (understeer). In order to race, I need to redistribute the weight closer to the rear wheels. How to do this?: Relocate the engine/tranny several inches into the firewall and use a shorter drive shaft?; bring the rear drive assembly closer to the front?; both? I'll head over to DTADTD to see if there's a thread there about this issue. C-Ya! Greg
desertCAMAROflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Welcome to Camaro5!

Check the Wheels/Suspension thread.... We have some companys who are working the "understeer" issue!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
What the crap is an SS5?

What comparable Asian cars are cheaper than a counterpart domestic part?

What Asian car has greater parts availability than a domestic?

Price, power, and parts availability are all reasons you'd consider a domestic over an import in the first place.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
welcome to the site
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Sounds like you want to do away with the offset tires. That will take care of your understeer concerns. Stiffer bushings will help as well. Remember, a race tuned suspension will NOT feel good as a daily driver. You'll feel every little stone and bump in the road as if you're riding over a washboard.

The 2010 Camaro SS is a hell of a car. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Drive one before you decide to tear it up and change it.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
moving the weight like you want isn't required, we should have a bolt on solution to give you soon.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
stovt001

yes, your concerns luckily can be addressed much more easily than just moving weight around. Very few cars come stock with 50-50 weight distribution (and most of those are high-end exotics) yet those that don't have been made into many fine racing machines. This section of the forums should help you nicely.

Do you want to use this as a daily driver or weekend cruiser as well? Or will it be strictly a track-only toy? Do you even need it to be street legal? Depending on what your use will look like, there are many options.

Just a dream away
Old 09-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
What the crap is an SS5?

What comparable Asian cars are cheaper than a counterpart domestic part?

What Asian car has greater parts availability than a domestic?

Price, power, and parts availability are all reasons you'd consider a domestic over an import in the first place.
If I was guessing, it`s his way of saying 5th gen. SS.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
stovt001

hmm, well that's new, but you could be right. At first I thought it was some new Saleen model I hadn't heard of yet.

Just a dream away
Old 09-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
desertCAMAROflage

Race SS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Welcome to Camaro5! Check the Wheels/Suspension thread.... We have some companies working the "understeer" issue! url]http://www.camaro5.com/forums forumdisplay.php?f=28[/url]
Thanks, Mac!
And thank you for your service!
I'll head over to W/S ASAP for understeer fix.
C-ya! Greg
Old 09-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
desertCAMAROflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
What the crap is an SS5? What comparable Asian cars are cheaper than a counterpart domestic part? What Asian car has greater parts availability than a domestic? Price, power, and parts availability are all reasons you'd consider a domestic over an import in the first place.
Hey, StovtooL, thanks for the warm welcome ;-). SS5 is a short-hand descriptor that I created for the Camaro5 SS...Since C5=Corvette 5th Generation, I can't use it again...Camaro5 is too long...therefore I created "SS5" for "Camaro5 (5th generation) SS (Super Sport)." Please forgive my first, unclear post, and the resultant confusion. I started my race car build planning using a NISMO 370Z. After calculating the bottom line, and what I wanted to accomplish, I realized the SS may be a better foundation. C-ya. Greg
Old 09-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
desertCAMAROflage

Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljustin293 View Post
welcome to the site
Hi, ljustin293, Are you still waiting? Thanks for the welcome! I can't wait to learn about this awesome Camaro! It seems like a great start...just needs some tweaks (hopefully inexpensive) to be controllable on a race track. C-ya, Greg
Old 09-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
desertCAMAROflage

Patriot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Sounds like you want to do away with the offset tires. That will take care of your understeer concerns. Stiffer bushings will help as well. Remember, a race tuned suspension will NOT feel good as a daily driver. You'll feel every little stone and bump in the road as if you're riding over a washboard. The 2010 Camaro SS is a hell of a car. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Drive one before you decide to tear it up and change it.
Hi patriotpa! Thanks for the welcome! I was a test driver and prototype development technician for GM. I am intimately familiar with race suspensions, and I love feeling every pebble in the road! We took the alpha build on the track for a warmup lap then ran up to 120 mph for a few laps of the oval. I have already driven an 800 h.p. version of a similar chassis. I have already driven it close to the form that I want--I am not disappointed. Thanks for the input! C-ya, Greg
Old 09-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
desertCAMAROflage

Bolt on...hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
moving the weight like you want isn't required, we should have a bolt on solution to give you soon.
Hi, Rob! Thanks for the greeting! A bolt-on fix would be a lot cheaper, and easier! Can't wait to see what it is. The CTS-V has 54F/46R distribution and handles well at the Nurgurgring (set the sedan record); the SS has 58/42 and understeers off the track, according to Motor Trend 10/2009. Looking forward to your development of this chassis! C-ya, Greg