Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Lightbulb Manufacturer Death Row

A long time ago me and my friends said there were some manufactures that needed to hang it up. Fast forward to 2012 and Mercury, Saab, Saturn, Hummer, Pontiac, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Isuzu, and Suzuki have gone bye bye. I think there are some more manufactures that either need to throw in the towel, or are walking on death row.

1. Mitsubishi- with the EVO going bye bye, what is really left?

2. Lincoln- just look at their line up

3. Buick- some nice looking cars, but really just a fancy chevy

4. GMC- I love their trucks but along with Buick they can merge into Chevy. Chevy regular cars/trucks -- Caddy fancy cars/trucks

5. Lotus- does anybody buy these?

6. Acura- quality cars but, they need a hit bad! they also look like silverhawks in the front

7. Volvo- all cars are safe now... sooo......... why are they still around?

8. Mazda- the glory days of the RX-7/8 are over and the brz and frs are better than the miata. other than that they are a copy of Ford.

I am not taking shots at anyone, this list is just for fun. Do you agree/disagree why or why not?? Or is there anyone else that should be on this list?? Or taken off, if so why??
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
1,5,7, and 8 I can agree with:

2. Lincoln: like it or not; it is Ford's upscale division, Like Caddy to Chevy, Lexus to Toyota, Ford needs this to survive, at least until all the baby boomers die off.

3. Buick: Mid level, similar to Chevy yes but upscale to most, it's a branding thing, Chevy for the sport car guys/gals, Buick for the "I can't afford a Caddy" crowd.

4. Actually I think GMC should stay and Chevy trucks should be dissolved, I believe that GMC should become what Ram became for Chrysler/Dodge, decicated to trucks; only do one thing and do it right!

6. Acura: needs to get with it and produce a quality rear wheel drive luxury vehicle and stop rebadging Hondas as upscale vehicles. If they can't get with the program, yeah just rebadge the models as Hondas, hell most Acura owners do it anyway.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Jas29

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
agree with Lincoln but i think buick is a big seller in Asia, China in particular don't quote me on that though
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post

2. Lincoln: like it or not; it is Ford's upscale division, Like Caddy to Chevy, Lexus to Toyota, Ford needs this to survive, at least until all the baby boomers die off.

3. Buick: Mid level, similar to Chevy yes but upscale to most, it's a branding thing, Chevy for the sport car guys/gals, Buick for the "I can't afford a Caddy" crowd.

4. Actually I think GMC should stay and Chevy trucks should be dissolved, I believe that GMC should become what Ram became for Chrysler/Dodge, decicated to trucks; only do one thing and do it right!

6. Acura: needs to get with it and produce a quality rear wheel drive luxury vehicle and stop rebadging Hondas as upscale vehicles. If they can't get with the program, yeah just rebadge the models as Hondas, hell most Acura owners do it anyway.

I agree with ALL your points I to think GMC should be Chevy's truck division like RAM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
A long time ago me and my friends said there were some manufactures that needed to hang it up. Fast forward to 2012 and Mercury, Saab, Saturn, Hummer, Pontiac, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Isuzu, and Suzuki have gone bye bye. I think there are some more manufactures that either need to throw in the towel, or are walking on death row.

1. Mitsubishi- with the EVO going bye bye, what is really left?

Evo sales are a tiny fraction of the Mitsubishi brand, and don't really reflect their product offerings. Its a sub-model of the Lancer

2. Lincoln- just look at their line up
Ford is investing heavily in Lincoln, its not going away anytime soon

3. Buick- some nice looking cars, but really just a fancy chevy
As they've always been. They make money and win buyers over to GM. Not going away

4. GMC- I love their trucks but along with Buick they can merge into Chevy. Chevy regular cars/trucks -- Caddy fancy cars/trucks
GMC practically prints money for GM, and studies have indicated that GMC buyers tend not to consider Chevrolets as an alternative. Killing the brand would be a terrible move by GM

5. Lotus- does anybody buy these?
Prospects are grim for Lotus. They need some massive growth in sales in order to become a viable company.

6. Acura- quality cars but, they need a hit bad! they also look like silverhawks in the front
They're overpriced Hondas ... but thats also the same reason why Honda is keen on keeping the brand: higher profit margins for minimal added cost

7. Volvo- all cars are safe now... sooo......... why are they still around?
Because a Chinese automaker wanted control of a western automaker.

8. Mazda- the glory days of the RX-7/8 are over and the brz and frs are better than the miata. other than that they are a copy of Ford.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda exited the North American market, but like Suzuki they'd still sell elsewhere.

I am not taking shots at anyone, this list is just for fun. Do you agree/disagree why or why not?? Or is there anyone else that should be on this list?? Or taken off, if so why??
see bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
I agree with ALL your points I to think GMC should be Chevy's truck division like RAM.
But Ram is a separate brand, created for the purpose of distancing the trucks from Dodge. Integrating GMC into Chevrolet would be the exact opposite of that.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:

I agree....I have owned both GMC and CHEVY trucks. I always liked my GMC better. I think they had a better fit and finish. I usually like the way GMC's look over Chevy although the 2005 2500 I had I think looked better than GMC. Wish I still had that truck!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Problem is most of your list still makes a butt load of cash for the parent company.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
see bold

But Ram is a separate brand, created for the purpose of distancing the trucks from Dodge. Integrating GMC into Chevrolet would be the exact opposite of that.
wasn't saying integrate GMC to Chevy, I said dissolve the Chevy truckline, and make GMC the sole truck brand for GM, with possibly the exception of the Caddy SUV line..

Duplication across the models is what killed GM in the first place, why do you need a Sierra and a Silverado? They are basically the same truck with a few more options in the GMC and different grille.

So instead of offering 3 GMC truck trim levels dissolve Chevy and offer 5 trim levels, 2 work class trims basic and heavy duty, a medium level, a top level and an executive level, aka Pavement Princess.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
wasn't saying integrate GMC to Chevy, I said dissolve the Chevy truckline, and make GMC the sole truck brand for GM, with possibly the exception of the Caddy SUV line..

Duplication across the models is what killed GM in the first place, why do you need a Sierra and a Silverado? They are basically the same truck with a few more options in the GMC and different grille.

So instead of offering 3 GMC truck trim levels dissolve Chevy and offer 5 trim levels, 2 work class trims basic and heavy duty, a medium level, a top level and an executive level, aka Pavement Princess.
I was quoting 2ndCamaro79
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
How about Ford in general? LAME! haha

Although Mustangs sound the best!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I was quoting 2ndCamaro79

oh I see, yeah I don't agree with Chevy absorbing GMC, GMC needs to be a singular brand, Full Size Trucks and SUVs, both light and heavy duty.

Leave the mid sized and small SUV's to the current respective divisions..
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Buick - Highly profitable, huge in Chinese market, pretty much the only GM division that is focused on a specific goal right now.

GMC - Again, highly profitable, plus higher ATPs than Chevrolet.

As for dissolving the Chevrolet truck line, compare Silverado sales to Sierra sales and you can see how horrible of an idea that is.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I would just like all of the silver and beige cars gone. That's it, other than that I don't care.

That said, Ford should have dropped Lincon and kept Merc. GM should have dropped Buick in North America and kept Pontiac, let Buick stay Chinese focused because honestly why do we care about a communist economy where they steal and copy anything we bring over? IMHO the chevy sedans are all NA needs. If they want something upscale buy a caddy and quit importing (if they do) these rebadged opals for excessive shipping costs. But then again the bean counters would rather force some other country to do the work while they push paper for outrageous personal pay.

I agree GMC should be the exclusive truck and large SUV vendor for GM as a whole. Its silly that people argue against the firebird when the silverado/sierra do the EXACT same thing. I highly doubt GM would lose truck sales if they get rid of the Silverado, and have a chevy based appearance package available for the GMC.

I don't understand how Mitsubishi, Acura, and volvo have stayed in business. Their cars/suv/cuvs are horrible and just another boring clone of a-b mobiles.

Mazda's at least have somewhat of an image, and they do interesting things like the Speed 3 and whatnot. I personally HATE the miata, mainly the drivers of the vehicles are mostly douchebags that have a chip on their shoulder because they drive a girls car. The styling is so feminine in a bad way yet people adore them. I do suspect that a RX successor is in the pipes for them.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
2ndCamaro79

I believe GMC offers a better truck product than Chevy. So take the best of both and make GMC the sole truck line. Buick maybe huge in China, but its on the ropes in the U.S. Take the best from Buick and infuse it with Chevy. In the end GM would look like this. Chevy all sports cars and sedans, with upper trim levels being of Buick quality. Sporty models even faster and edgier like Pontaic use to be. GMC handles trucks and maybe SUVs/crossovers. Caddy handles luxury and goes further up market like BMW and Benz.

Mitsubihi, Volvo, Lotus and Buick can hang it up (at least in the states). Acura, Mazda, and Lincoln need to get serious about their products or just give it up.