Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking The "Catch Can" Explained

Modern engines feature a variety of emission control devices and systems to reduce the toxic gases released into the atmosphere. One of these is called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. During the combustion process a small amount of gases leak or "blow-by" the piston rings and create a positive pressure in the crankcase. The PCV system vents these gases along with oil mist from the crankcase and routes it back into the intake manifold so it can be burned off. The problem is, over time the excess oil vapor collects along the inside of the intake tract and forms a "gunk". This can lead to a variety of issues including carbon build up, retarded timing, detonation, and power loss.

Oil pooling inside intake manifold

Carbon build up on intake valves

Going forward this carbon build up will become more and more of an issue. As automotive manufacturers continue to adopt Direct Injection (DI) technology in their now engine designs, any benefits that previously existed due to fuel washing over the intake valves will be lost. As you can see in the diagram below, with Direct Injection fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber. The LLT and LFX V6s in the Camaro are both DI engines as is the new LT1 in the C7 Stingray and all of the new LT based GM truck engines.

A "catch can" is an aftermarket device that will condense and collect the oil vapor before it has a chance to reach the intake system. As the gases and oil vapor enter the can they typically pass through a screening mechanism that gives the oil vapor something to adhere to. As the droplets form they drop harmlessly into the bottom of the reservoir so that they can later be drained. The other gases are allowed to pass through so that they can be burned of as intended.

Fluid captured in catch can after 800 miles

When it comes to selecting a catch can you will get what you pay for. Cheap catch cans (less than $100) are plentiful but they are often little more than an empty can with two ports. These will capture a small amount of fluid but the vast majority passes straight through and ends up where you don't want it. Be sure that the can is designed with an effective internal filtration and baffling system to pull the oil vapor out of suspension. Apex Motorsports catch cans are designed to be the best functioning catch can for Camaro owners but there are a couple other good options as well. As always, if you have questions regarding this or any topic the crew at Apex Motorsports is more than happy to answer them.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 05-07-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Seeing is believing. Here are a few posts by Camaro5 members after installing the Apex Motorsports catch can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Well just emptied mine. Only on the car for about a week and a half now. I'd say she works better then the RX can I used to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmaro View Post
We cruised down to Somerset, KY for the powercruise which was about a 350 mile round trip, a portion of which had some uhh, spirited street driving. The catch can was bone dry prior to the cruise. This is a photo of the catch can later that night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11_Camaro View Post
I have driven about 1,000 miles since I installed the catch can a couple of months ago. I emptied it today. I had checked it about a week after installation and the can looked as clean as the day I bought it, so I began to wonder if had purchased something I didn't really need. The pic below makes me believe I made a good decision. Just thought I would share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
It continues to work like a damn champ!

Anyone want a milkshake??
Old 03-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Great write up.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
This is from another posting, seems catch-can sales must be down..........go figure...

From a write up on the LS3 engine, from the horse's mouth, and yet more proof why a catch-can is worthless on these type of GM V8's....so for those of that don't race, the system as built from the factory works fine. For all you racers, it may be a concern, but who cares, you are always tearing apart the engine swapping cams, etc., ha.
If you agree that it is of some use, what's with all the negativity of your posting? It's seems to me that it works especially well for those that drive "spiritedly" as evidenced by the photos shown above. Some people drive their vehicles hard without getting into swapping cams,etc..so it would probably necessitate having one. If someone want's to purchase something because they believe it benefits them, they will. I've been on this forum for almost three years and I haven't witnessed any threads that stated "This shi* is " So there are a vast majority of people that believe the product works.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The facts are clear that crankcase gases can be a significant component in the intake charge. See: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328400. Other direct injected engine manufacturers have their hands full as well. Toyota had some very public engine varnishing issues on their traditional port injected v6's.

With traditional port injected engines gasoline additives are usually effective in cleaning valves. I use Shell or Chevron for filling up. However there are still issues with coking of piston rings, and reduction of engine octane resulting from crankcase gases.

Do crankcase gases affect the LS3? In my experience - yes, in terms of affecting octane. Even with the 1LE clean side separator I still experienced audible pinging. This kept the engine from consistently remaining in the high octane fuel map, just when I started having fun. I also had misses at idle. Both annoyed the heck out of me. Now with a dirty side catch can, the situation has reversed from the engine running well on "good days", to running well most of the time. Having a cleaner intake and reduced chance of coked rings are great side benefits.

We have a Suburban, and right on schedule at 70K miles (per others' experience on the Internet), I started to get some oil burning despite frequent oil changes. The cause is said to coked piston rings due mostly to the AFM system, but accelerated by crankcase gases.

I love both cars, but manufacturers have limits to what they are willing and able to engineer into their products.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
If you agree that it is of some use, what's with all the negativity of your posting? It's seems to me that it works especially well for those that drive "spiritedly" as evidenced by the photos shown above. Some people drive their vehicles hard without getting into swapping cams,etc..so it would probably necessitate having one. If someone want's to purchase something because they believe it benefits them, they will. I've been on this forum for almost three years and I haven't witnessed any threads that stated "This shi* is " So there are a vast majority of people that believe the product works.
Agree, and the proof is in the bottom of the Catch Can. We have tons of pictures that show just how much oil is trapped before entering your intake.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Agree, and the proof is in the bottom of the Catch Can. We have tons of pictures that show just how much oil is trapped before entering your intake.
Very happy I installed mine within the first 50 miles
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
Mcarltonjr

Drives: 2013 F150 STX
I hope this isnt a stupid question as I am unfamiliar with the catch can, but where is it installed? I hear alot about it and from what i can see it sounds like a great investment.
Mcarltonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarltonjr View Post
I hope this isnt a stupid question as I am unfamiliar with the catch can, but where is it installed? I hear alot about it and from what i can see it sounds like a great investment.
They mount under your hood, typically on the passenger side. The thread below shows the install and a lot of pictures of the Apex catch can.

Apex Motorsports Catch Can - LS3 Install and First Impressions

Old 03-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
I used to be a skeptic as well, but figured why not for the price.

My only regret is waiting 10k miles to put it on. Mine catches several ounces between every oil change.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Mcarltonjr

Drives: 2013 F150 STX
Consider my order placed this Friday. I'll make sure to mention these to any Camaro owners my family shop has come in as well.
Mcarltonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Consider my order placed this Friday. I'll make sure to mention these to any Camaro owners my family shop has come in as well.

Yea, we all consider these as cheap insurance.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
I used to be a skeptic as well, but figured why not for the price.

My only regret is waiting 10k miles to put it on. Mine catches several ounces between every oil change.
It is the best investments you can make in the long term health of your engine.

Quote:
Thank you in advance for your order and any future business you may send our way.

Tags
apex catch can, apex motorsports, catch can