Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
FerkLS3

Drives: 2010 2ss Cyber Gray
5th gen SS driveshaft to ZL1 rear end Swap

Hello all, I have a Manual 2010 camaro ss with a one piece aluminum driveshaft on it from drive shaft shop, just purchased a 3.73 zl1 rear & axles to swap in the car. I called drive shaft shop to get a pet number for the different flange to bolt on to the ZL rear, they told me the ZL driveshaft is shorter than the SS but couldn’t give me an exact measurement… only answer I received was “about a half inch” they continued to try and sell me one of their new carbon fiber custom shafts instead of discussing what we can do to make my current expensive driveshaft work. I did order the correct flange now to bolt my existing one piece to the ZL rear. Has anyone ran into this situation before? I couldn’t find any measurements on exactly how long each driveshaft is and they couldn’t give me that information. I would like to know IF I have to have this current driveshaft shortened what is the exact measurement it needs shortened. Trying to have everything ready to do the swap, without installing the zl rear then “seeing” if it fits, then having to wait weeks or months before it can go back together. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou everyone!
FerkLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Can you take out the aluminum driveshaft and measure it, then compare it to the zl1 driveshaft.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:48 PM   #3
FerkLS3

Unfortunately the rear cradle I purchased did not include the driveshaft, nor have I found any measurements on ZL1 driveshafts. The drive shaft shop would not “release” their measurements and wouldn’t give me a reason for that.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
The driveline repair world basically works like this: Once you get the diff MOUNTED and in place, put the car on level ground (or lift) and take a measurement from flange face (the face of the tri-bolt guibo or flex disk to the other) and give that to your local driveline shop. They'll make it to those dimensions. No one in the driveline business would have you do any measuring with the diff out of the car. Most driveline shops don't keep these kind of diff swap measurements on hand. You can't go wrong this way.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #5
FerkLS3

Thanks for the response. It looks like that is what I’m going to have to do.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:33 PM   #6
Moto-Mojo

These aren’t exactly what your Camaro companion flanges look like but you get the face-to-face idea.

Name:  D988DC8C-EC3A-4971-8295-78CEFE2CA234.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  42.3 KB
Old 06-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #7
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Been working for and with GM for 39 years, if there wasn't supposed to be a slip joint in that shaft trust me they wouldn't have made it that way! They waste money on nothing. My suggestion is to find some other fool that thinks he is upgrading and trade him for the correct shaft!
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #8
Moto-Mojo

Oh yeah, I didn’t mean eliminating the slip set up. It’s really more there for ease of installation. Though there probably is a little diff movement. But not much. The shop would still need the overall F to F and set the slip accordingly.

Ok, technically, they need trans flange face to center bearing mount and then overall…
Old 06-21-2022, 01:19 PM   #9
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Oh yeah, I didn’t mean eliminating the slip set up. It’s really more there for ease of installation. Though there probably is a little diff movement. But not much. The shop would still need the overall F to F and set the slip accordingly.

Ok, technically, they need face to center bearing mount and then overall…
The shaft he is talking about using is a one piece....not sure they have a slip joint
Old 06-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #10
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
The shaft he is talking about using is a one piece....not sure they have a slip joint
They do. There’s an aluminum inverted (female part is welded in the tube with a ‘yoke shaft’) I’ll see if I can find a pic.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #11
Moto-Mojo

You can’t see what’s really going on here but trust me, the female part is welded to the tube and the yokeshaft (male) slips in and out of it underneath the boot set up. (huge file)
It’s how they utilize a 1-piece shaft.

Name:  F933C48B-A63D-4180-9AAD-D4A90BCB2E5F.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  41.8 KB
Old 06-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #12
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
You can’t see what’s really going on here but trust me, the female part is welded to the tube and the yokeshaft (male) slips in and out of it underneath the boot set up. (huge file)

Attachment 1102127
OK now I get it....that should work fine. I'd probably try to find the measurement that puts that slip yoke midway in it's travel. Do they still use the rubber couplings, or does it bolt directly to the flanges?
Old 06-21-2022, 02:24 PM   #13
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
OK now I get it....that should work fine. I'd probably try to find the measurement that puts that slip yoke midway in it's travel. Do they still use the rubber couplings, or does it bolt directly to the flanges?
Im pretty sure they still use the rubber flex disks on our cars when making even a one piece shaft. But I might be wrong. If you use real u-joints, I believe the flanges on the diff and trans have to be changed to mate/match the flange yoke on the shaft. The pic is a different configuration flange than our Camaros.

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 06-21-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:29 PM   #14
BlackBird1

Drives: Chevy camaro SS
Question: Why did GM put a two piece drive shaft on the Camaro anyway?

I have a Mitsuubishi where the driveshaft center bearing faild luckly I didn't have my foot in it or the drive shaft would have come through the floor.
BlackBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driveshaft, dss, rear end, swap, zl1