Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #85
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
sounds like you wouldn't have to modify much. Be a nice street and track car.
716-634-4100
talanpomeroy@aol.com
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #86
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
sounds like you wouldn't have to modify much. Be a nice street and track car.
It would be much more at home at the track though. Stiffer ride, less sound deadening, fewer interior features ... not the greatest everyday car. But to me, thats as much a part of being a 'true' Z28 as the actual on track performance. I see it as being a lot like a Camaro equivalent of the Z06, to use a current reference point. Both the base and ZR1 would make for better daily drivers than the Z06, yet the Z06 is loved (and loathed) because of its on-track prowess.

But again, this is all about how I would do the car, if I could. The chances of getting everything 'my way' are slim to nil. About the only thing we could count on in the actual car is a better suspension than the SS. Some form of weight reduction is possible, likelihood and amount is unknown. LS7 has practically no chance of being used. But a guy can dream, can't he?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #87
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
the lighter weight & more expensive parts will change the crash worthiness and especially insurance rates (due to the expense of the parts).
Which would also lead to a decent increase in the overall price sold to the consumers. I believe the Z/28 should handle just as well on the streets as it does on the track... if one is built like DG said then most likely the only people who would buy it are big car enthusiasts. That would lead to increase in cost as well, since GM would know not many people would plan on buying it. That wouldn't be good either, since GM needs to have cars that actually turn enough profit to justify keeping the car in production.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #88
BeermanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It would be much more at home at the track though. Stiffer ride, less sound deadening, fewer interior features ... not the greatest everyday car. But to me, thats as much a part of being a 'true' Z28 as the actual on track performance. I see it as being a lot like a Camaro equivalent of the Z06, to use a current reference point. Both the base and ZR1 would make for better daily drivers than the Z06, yet the Z06 is loved (and loathed) because of its on-track prowess.

But again, this is all about how I would do the car, if I could. The chances of getting everything 'my way' are slim to nil. About the only thing we could count on in the actual car is a better suspension than the SS. Some form of weight reduction is possible, likelihood and amount is unknown. LS7 has practically no chance of being used. But a guy can dream, can't he?
I would love to see that, now thats a nice road car. I'm pretty sure people would buy that too. Sort of like a Superleggera, Scuderia, or GT3RS for the average person. Don't know about the LS7, think that engine is going extinct soon.
716-634-4100
talanpomeroy@aol.com
Old 11-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #89
BeermanSS

you don't have to sell a million of them to make it profitable, not like your developing a whole new car.
716-634-4100
talanpomeroy@aol.com
Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #90
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
you don't have to sell a million of them to make it profitable, not like your developing a whole new car.
You don't need to sell a thousand either. The average person going up to a car with a $45,000-$50,000 price tag will automatically be turned away without such luxuries like leather, navigation, etc. Having the same interior features as the base V6 Camaro in a trim level that cost $20,000+ more would be, IMO, a terrible marketing move. The GT500 manages to pull off both modern luxuries and a powerful car, so there is no reason why the Z/28 shouldn't be able to do this.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #91
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
You don't need to sell a thousand either. The average person going up to a car with a $45,000-$50,000 price tag will automatically be turned away without such luxuries like leather, navigation, etc. Having the same interior features as the base V6 Camaro in a trim level that cost $20,000+ more would be, IMO, a terrible marketing move. The GT500 manages to pull off both modern luxuries and a powerful car, so there is no reason why the Z/28 shouldn't be able to do this.
I kinda' like the idea of Z28 having a somewhat limited run, BUT, I'd rather it be affordable and the best Camaro that GM can put together. If they're going to charge more, I just hope the $$$ is in the right places. Suspension is definately one of those. Engine would be a VERY close second. The rest is mostly icing for me. I think GM should use the GT500 as Z28's benchmark though.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #92
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I kinda' like the idea of Z28 having a somewhat limited run, BUT, I'd rather it be affordable and the best Camaro that GM can put together. If they're going to charge more, I just hope the $$$ is in the right places. Suspension is definately one of those. Engine would be a VERY close second. The rest is mostly icing for me. I think GM should use the GT500 as Z28's benchmark though.
Suspension would be my first investment too. For the Z/28 to become a road course car, it will definitely need an updated suspension. I believe GM will compare the GT500 to what they plan on making as well. Obviously the GT500 will be seen as it's competition, so why not try to defeat it?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #93
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'm willing to bet (and I know no more than you guys) that the suspension is going to be retuned. I' LOVE to see some magneto' shocks though, like ZR1 and CTS-V. I don't think it would push it out of the price range that I think should be Z28s goal (IMHO anyways). I'm thinking lower it, use those shocks, some bigger wheels and tires (at least a 275/3XX front/rear tire), and even bump the rotor sizes an half-inch to an info or so. If it handles like a couple videos I've seen with aftermarket suspension, I'd be totally happy. Pushing an LSA into the nose, though, is going to shoot the weight right through 4000 lbs. though. I hope they can find some places to save some weight and rebalance the car without loosing content.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #94
AGM76

Drives: 1995 z28 - 2000 SS - 08' vette
I'd let the gt500 go. Debut a new generation engine, 5.3 liter or so with all the goodies DI VVT NA, 30+ MPG. Don't mess with the body as it is, they used the steel for a reason, those panel gaps are very tight. I don't want it looking like my 4th gen.
AGM76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #95
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM76 View Post
I'd let the gt500 go. Debut a new generation engine, 5.3 liter or so with all the goodies DI VVT NA, 30+ MPG. Don't mess with the body as it is, they used the steel for a reason, those panel gaps are very tight. I don't want it looking like my 4th gen.
As much as I loved my '95 and '02, I have to agree. I'm so glad they used all metal panels on the car; it just looks more substaintial. It certainly is, though, seeing as how the weight has ballooned. It's worth it, if you ask me.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 11-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #96
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM76 View Post
And do you think that when the gen V engines come out that the SS won't get one? As far as I know there is 1 main plant for GM's V8 engines, plus their performance build centre. The change over will be complete and might take a total of 2 model years from when it debuts in the Corvette (a guess based on tradition) until it works its way down the entire GM lineup, including pickup trucks, Camaros, and anything else with a V8.

At any rate, using a DI 5.3 would yeild less performance than what the SS has. The displacement of a small block has practically nothing to do with its weight. While a DI 5.3 might have similar hp to the current Camaro V8's it will be down on torque by a fair bit. Same power, same weight, less torque = slower car.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #97
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
So what you are saying the zr1 built quality is crap? Since I'd doesn't have all metal panels.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #98
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
So what you are saying the zr1 built quality is crap? Since I'd doesn't have all metal panels.
Carbon fiber is rubbish and any car that has it is rice...

Is the plant in Mexico (where LSA is built) a smaller plant than the one at St. Catherines?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"