Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Things to know before a dyno tuning?

Apologize for the rookie questions in advance

If anyone have any tips for me that would be excellent. I have a tuning session for tomorrow morning.

1. Changing the oil before dynoing needed? The Mobil 1 oil in there probably 2 1/2 months old. Car is not an daily driver.

2. If I have 91 ocatane gas in my tank and he tunes with that. Lets say I fill up with 93(which is hard to find around here). Car just performs A LOT better?

3. Should I leave the timing alone?

Mods-- Bolt on LS3 longtube headers, factory npp exhaust ,CAI and adm scoop.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
nele22

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD_SS View Post
Apologize for the rookie questions in advance

If anyone have any tips for me that would be excellent. I have a tuning session for tomorrow morning.

1. Changing the oil before dynoing needed? The Mobil 1 oil in there probably 2 1/2 months old. Car is not an daily driver.

2. If I have 91 ocatane gas in my tank and he tunes with that. Lets say I fill up with 93(which is hard to find around here). Car just performs A LOT better?

3. Should I leave the timing alone?

Mods-- Bolt on LS3 longtube headers, factory npp exhaust ,CAI and adm scoop.

No need to change the oil
I would tell your tuner what octane you want it tuned for and what is currently in the car. If 93 is hard to find have him tune it with 91.
I am not sure on the timing question.
nele22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Please post you post-tune dyno numbers. I'm installing my LT headers and deleting my cats next weekend, I'm wondering what kind of numbers to expect for mine.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nele22 View Post
No need to change the oil
I would tell your tuner what octane you want it tuned for and what is currently in the car. If 93 is hard to find have him tune it with 91.
I am not sure on the timing question.
I agree no need to change the oil.

You cant tell a tuner what octane you want the car to be tune with. I see shops selling 93 tunes and 91 tunes, and I laugh. Hopefully they calibrated one car with 91 octane and one with 93 octane. Then use that data over and over again lol.

if your live, plugged in to the car with a wideband you can only calibrate through the data the car is delivering to you. A new non BETA HP Tuners with released last week with dozens of new tables not in BETA.

Lets say you calibrate a car with 93 octane in, then you tell me you want a 91 octane tune from that. I most likely say come back with a tank fuel of 91 and we'll see how much knock retard the car has and make corrections, or you could be just goofy, and pull 4 degrees from the overal timing table, and say here's your 91 octane tune.

What im saying it scientific. you can only deal with what your data sensors are collecting for intelligence, then scale the proper curve under actual conditions.

If your car has been tuned properly at 93 octane, and you drive to the next state over and there's only 91 octane, dont beat your self up over it. Fill the car and drive. Without a tune and with 93 octane, your car is knocking 4-6 degrees with stock timing tables from the factory and the spark is being pulled. Dont go balls to the wall on the car and you'll be fine. Fill it with 87 and it will knock more. I tune alot of trucks and my wife's family van on 87 octane, your going to get knock. I always ask the own do we want better gas milage or performance because on 87 it tough to get both.

Just remember KR is a safety function of your vehicle.

WTF am i doing up at 4am when i know I have a 2009 G8 and a twin turbo ZO6 to do tomorrow lolol

Phil
www.TampaTuning.com
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
Please post you post-tune dyno numbers. I'm installing my LT headers and deleting my cats next weekend, I'm wondering what kind of numbers to expect for mine.
made 418whp & 411tq
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Very nice!! Congrats.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD_SS View Post
made 418whp & 411tq