Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Question Should I Get A Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe?

So I've had my current setup for over a year now: Longtube headers, hiflow cats stock LS3 catback with rear mufflers removed. So now I am wanting a temporary setup to get me by while I panhandle some more for my custom 3 inch exhaust in the future (which will have an h-pipe). I am wanting this resonated xpipe because I would like to hit the gas without alerting the whole east coast. The best thing about my setup right now is definitely the idle. It is sick nothing beats a muffler-less idle but the car is so loud and kinda raspy. So the res xpipe is popular with the V6's but not much with the V8's. If I do get it I will also remove the mini bullet resonators on the stock setup. Will it make my car more deep sounding and give it more of a European car sound (which is good those foreign V8s sound great)? How is the idle? Will it quiet the car too much? Post your videos.

Last edited by Homeless Man; 07-20-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
timshifty

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
https://youtu.be/QbiONl1lqfs

https://youtu.be/_KYXVyUNIM8

Here is the magnaflow resonated X pipe. This is what I am looking to do currently. Hope it helps
Old 07-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

And should I get the big size or smaller size? I think most people get the smaller one.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
And should I get the big size or smaller size? I think most people get the smaller one.
I had some messages going with the rep from magnaflow here on camaro5. He told me people make the mistake of getting the bigger resonator when trying to tone down their exhaust and still wanting volume. He recommended the smaller one if I wanted a deeper tone without losing any of the loud aspect of my setup. Alot of people dont know there are 2 sizes. So big one to give it a deeper tone..... reduce rasp and quite down your exhaust. Smaller one to give it a deeper tone....reduce rasp without losing any volume. That's right from the company that makes them .
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

I see. Anyone else?
Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
I have the resonated x-pipe as well. I can't confirm if it is the larger or smaller of the two but it came with the maganflow street series system. I have kooks lt's and off road pipes going into the x-pipe and the magnaflow rear mufflers. Perfect for me. No drone and has a nice tone and sounds great at WOT. I ran a muffler delete but after a while it didn't sound good to me and the drone was really annoying.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

So the big one fits fine I'm assuming?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:28 AM   #8
timshifty

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I asked the same thing, didnt get an answer yet
I think I am going to add the X pipe to my current set up and see what it sounds like
Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
LaN-

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
I have one for sale if you decide to go that route. It's just been sitting in my garage after I took it off my car. Npp mufflers and res X pipe was to much.

628/525

Suspension: Koni orange, (BMR everything) 1" drop springs, toe rods, trailer arms, non adjustable LCR, FE4 sway bars, sub frame connectors, delrin sub frame bushing and upper control arm bushings. Front bushings.
LaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I already told you what magnaflow said.....this is from the manufacturer. .....not people guessing . If you still have questions pm them here on camaro5....they are really helpful and will give you the exact answers you need.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #11
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

I guess il get the bigger one and also delete the stock bullet resonators
Old 07-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Big one will fit fine.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #13
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I have posted this a few times but will share my experience again. I started out with SP long tubes, Cat delete, and Borla Atak, CAI, 93 octane tune. Very Loud and raspy with plenty of back rap - I loved it. Then got the Whipple and Cam (600+ HP), and it was WAY too loud, absolutely absurd and ticket material. I researched resonators that would FIT to quiet down the sound at idle and part throttle. I had about 24" of length at the X-Over area to work with before intruding on the bends of the Atak 2-1/2" pipes, and fit up in the tunnel. Bullet mufflers or resonators would not fit width wise @ 3 to 4" Dia and would also negate the X-Over feature. The SMALLER Magnaflow #14468 was my choice since it would fit, and with the hope it would not make it TOO quiet. The bigger and longer Magnaflow would not fit my application. rontammy0's comment is spot on. The Magnaflow worked perfect, fit right in, cleared my BMR Cross Brace with a few mods, and toned it down. Still loud as hell when getting on it, still has the same rap and rasp but subdued, and the idle is now civilized. I was really surprised how well it toned it down, actually a little more than I wanted, but it still sounds really mean. I do not see any advantage to going with a 3" exhaust unless the engine configuration dictates it, and it will be a tighter fit and my experience on my other cars is it is really LOUD compared to 2-1/2" Lastly and obviously, different configurations will produce different results.

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Alright thanks for the info. And I thought dynomax bullets would fit in the middle width wise? Cause that's what I planned on using for my custom 3inch catback.