Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
WITH ALL RESPECT QUESTION REGARDING NEW CAMARO!!!

I have not posted anything on Camaro 5 for a few weeks. I was very excited to go to the Indy Bash "Great Time"!!! I waited years to see the new production Camaro in person and I did. I was all set to buy a Super Charged Z28 no matter what the price was. I came to the reality that an SS was what I was going to have to settle for. When I was driving home from Indy my buddies said are you alright? I said not really, I don't think I am going to spend at that time my quess was $38,000 to $40,000 on a car that really isn't what I wanted. I was pumped that the muscle car wars are back and that GM would have to build a Super Charged Camaro to compete with the Shelby. I have had a bad feeling since after Indy. I own one of each gerneration of Camaro's and for the first time in my life I switched from my true love and bought a Corvette. I go into my garage and see all Camaro's and a Corvette. It makes me feel weird to see a Corvette in my garage but I wanted the power and weight savings. I am not trying to put the new Camaro down and I am not saying the new Camaro isn't AWSOME witch it is! I quess what I am asking is this: Does anyone on this forum feel like me? Does anyone feel like GM gave us a Camaro and not the whole package? I am not trying to start a fight or degrade the car, this is just how I feel. Being an owner of over 30 Camaro's through out the years. Please do not be negitive I am just sharing my thoughts on how I feel and seeing if anyone feels the same. Thank you, IROCZJEFF
IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The Corvette is always going to be the lighter, more nimble performance machine. If you can get a Corvette to put in your garage, you should feel proud, not ashamed.

The 2010 Camaro is a little heavy, but it is faster than the pony car competition, faster than the import competition, and better looking than almost anything out there if you're into that muscle car look.

It makes sense that there would be some doubts surrounding this car. It's pretty amazing. The price hurts a little more than expected, but the Camaro is still a killer bargain. At $30,995, the 1SS is faster and hotter than cars for much more than that. You won't find a car this unique for so little.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
IROCZJEFF

Very well put! I quess I just thought that since the Camaro was the last muscle car to be released Gm would have thrown everything at it. Thanks again for the great comment. IROCZJEFF
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
heavyt100

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZJEFF View Post
Very well put! I quess I just thought that since the Camaro was the last muscle car to be released Gm would have thrown everything at it. Thanks again for the great comment. IROCZJEFF
Historically, GM has almost never "thrown everything at it" in the first year of a new model.

Instead, it's been GM's pattern to steadily develop new models.

The C6 Corvette, for example, arrived in 2005; a year later, the Z06 model was introduced. And now, the ZR1 for 2009.

I would not be surprised to see the Camaro follow a similar trajectory.
heavyt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Quote:
Buy a SS with whatever goodies you desire, and then stuff twin turbo's or a supercharger on it from the aftermarket. You know the aftermarket companies will have these available very quickly.
It sounds like the SS drivetrain will handle it too.

Sounds like you will always want one, so go for it!

You will feel better.
68vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
at least you kept it in the family Jeff.... but you do realize that your collection is not complete, and you will have to buy a 5th gen eventually right....lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
SS One

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
IMO the Z28 will follow about a year after the release of the convertible, (which will probly not hit the streets until 2010). Be patient and have faith.
SS One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
IROCZJEFF

One thing is for sure, I will own a new Camaro. It just depends on POWER PLANT. Great thread, I am glad everyone is giving good feeback without any negitivity. We are all on this websight because of how much we like Camaro's. Jeff
Old 10-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
"Almost anything?"

The reason you used the word "almost" is because you've seen the new Challenger, right?

Not at the car....but at your comment.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Quote:
Does anyone on this forum feel like me? Does anyone feel like GM gave us a Camaro and not the whole package?
+1, Yes.

I was hoping for an LS9 powered 5th gen Camaro. Not so concerned by the badge it wears. SS, Z28, ZL1.

It's okay tho. I can wait. And if it never comes, so be it. Now we need to see what GM and the Camaro will look like at the other end of these current economic times...
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
2sharp

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS One View Post
IMO the Z28 will follow about a year after the release of the convertible, (which will probly not hit the streets until 2010). Be patient and have faith.
I totally agree............there is no doubt I'm buying a new Camaro......but somehow I have been able to convince myself to wait for the big one
2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I am getting and already ordered a 2SS/RS. I will either trade or keep it and buy a Z28 or whatever high power Camaro GM may build later. I'm happy to have an SS for now, it willl be worth the wait, and i'll have some pretty damn good muscle while we're waiting.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
Look at it optimistically......there's always room for improvement.
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
I quess what I am asking is this: Does anyone on this forum feel like me? Does anyone feel like GM gave us a Camaro and not the whole package?
No. /thread.

To be more specific... After 35 years of offering cars with peak hp in the 300s with only special editions supposedly getting 430hp (ZL1), you're complaining about not getting a 550hp monster Camaro?

The Current Camaro is probably going to be the fastest if not the second fastest (second possibly to the 4th gen ss that was known to run 12s in the 1/4) Camaro ever. And undoubtedly the best all around car with it's fully independent suspension and brembos. Not to mention the 'ring tuning done on it which is a first for a Camaro.

The Z/28 is most likely a no-go. That's too bad because it'd be nice to see it beat up on the other entrants in that class. But really. You feel let down by the fastest, most powerful and best handling Camaro ever?

Granted the Camaro will not hang with a Vette, but the SS is in a different class.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote