Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Santos
Santos

Drives: 1SS Blk 6M ECS 1500
halltech or cai?

just curious of opinions of what you would get, think i am about to just ship on vararam
Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Hyp
I've been lost...

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS W/IOM LSA Swap
If I could do it all over again, i wouldnt get either, I would get the Fastlane True CAI, or the ADM Race CAI.
Hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Well I have the Vararam. I was worth the wait. ....and no I am not having the issues that others have had. All I have is 2 1/2" cat back exhaust. Now that it has warmed up to 60 degrees the seems to be even more responsive. I dont have any quantitative numbers. But I can tell a difference. JMHO
Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Santos
Santos

why?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Santos
Santos

i really did wait a while but been putting off buying an intake for 8 months, they told me early march for order still no word, i don't want this to turn into vararam bashing thread like alll the others, im just trying to get educated feedback on halltech and cai since people seems to like the price and power of both.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
I love my Halltech Yellowjacket. Easy install, quality built, fuel trims are perfect, and nice gains. Since you've narrowed it down to these two, I assume you've done your homework, therefore I won't go into the Yellowjacket advantages.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Hyp
I've been lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
i really did wait a while but been putting off buying an intake for 8 months, they told me early march for order still no word, i don't want this to turn into vararam bashing thread like alll the others, im just trying to get educated feedback on halltech and cai since people seems to like the price and power of both.
I bought the Halltech CAI. It was one of the first orders with the S&B filters. The fitting is poor, it keeps falling off the TB for some reason, the heat shield just doesn't fit right, there's a really big gap at the bottom. Its almost like I got a ****ed up CAI because the fitting all together is bad. Other than that, its not that bad of a CAI, I like the idea of the funnel, and how wide it is. But ADM and Fastlane don't have any of these issues.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
just curious of opinions of what you would get, think i am about to just ship on vararam
If it wasn't for Vararam, I would have got the Halltech.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
X-treme Horsepower

Drives: 2010 LSX Shootout World AM Finalist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
I bought the Halltech CAI. It was one of the first orders with the S&B filters. The fitting is poor, it keeps falling off the TB for some reason, the heat shield just doesn't fit right, there's a really big gap at the bottom. Its almost like I got a ****ed up CAI because the fitting all together is bad. Other than that, its not that bad of a CAI, I like the idea of the funnel, and how wide it is. But ADM and Fastlane don't have any of these issues.
hey man next time your around stop in and check out the new afe we have in stock pretty sick intake!
X-treme Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
Hyp
I've been lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-treme Horsepower View Post
hey man next time your around stop in and check out the new afe we have in stock pretty sick intake!
If I do buy another CAI, its been decided between 2, ADM Race or the Fastlane True CAI. I learned my lesson this time around... cheap isnt always better.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
I got the first one on a A6 and have NONE of your issues. There is a very small gap at the bottom rear of the heatshield but the front side is tight. Jim is sending me a strip of rubber to go along the bottom. That will take care of the small gap at the bottom. I think I have the S&B filter as well. I have NEVER had a problem with the tube falling off the TB. That just doesn't make sense. There's a clamp that holds the sleeve to the TB and another that holds the intake tube. If both are on well and sufficiently tightened, it's impossible for it to fall off. There have been a few issues with people not getting the heatshield in the right place, causing the front side to bow and one or two that have made the mounting hole longer to have more adjustment, front to back. These issues seem to stem from variances from car to car. Jim is modifying the Yellowjacket to allow for these variances. His test car, many others, including mine, didn't have this issue. There's a recent thread with pics of what i'm talking about. The ones on my car and at least one other show how small the rear gap is. One of the other sets of pics shows absoluetly zero gap. Jim has been giving and getting feed back from this and several other threads. He has bent over backwards to help anyone that has had a problem out.

In case you didn't know, Jim has a 100% money back gaurantee. If you're that unsatisfied with your unit, ask for a new unit or your $$ back. At least go to the thread and see if any your problems could be resolved from the pics.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
X-treme Horsepower

Drives: 2010 LSX Shootout World AM Finalist
Quote:
If I do buy another CAI, its been decided between 2, ADM Race or the Fastlane True CAI. I learned my lesson this time around... cheap isnt always better.
well if your still planing pro charger there is really no use on wasting your money on another one you wont be able to use it anyways
X-treme Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
Well I have the Vararam. I was worth the wait. ....and no I am not having the issues that others have had. All I have is 2 1/2" cat back exhaust. Now that it has warmed up to 60 degrees the seems to be even more responsive. I dont have any quantitative numbers. But I can tell a difference. JMHO
Everybody can feel it!Just what that is, appears to still be up in the air.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I have the CAI, Inc. on my L99 and I don't regret it! Gave me a good 10 RWHP increase and everything fit perfectly!