Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #15
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
WOW that's alot of stuff!! But really intersting. I also have my fingers crossed for the ls3 but i'm not opposed to anything else. And GM would have to completely screw the camaro up before i consider a Mustang. I would buy an 05-06 GTO first.

Since we are on the topic of possible other engines...why did the LS2 get phased out so quick? Anybody know? I never read anything on why...just found stuff saying it would be phased out.

on a side note...the guy that posted this info over at ls1tech said he got his info from a GM engineer. But i bet he is getting the L76 and LS2 confused with each other. either way he is getting bashed for it pretty bad lol.

Good things come to those who wait

Last edited by Dark Knight; 08-02-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #16
wirewilly

Drives: 96 Eldorado
Maybe they have a boatload of LS2s left over from the Vette and they just want to use them up.
wirewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #17
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
I thought I read somewhere that GM still has a surplus of LS2's and will most likely use those for the '09 Camaro. The '08 vette has the 6.2 LS3. Now they may upgrade the vette for '09 and throw that LS3 in the Camaro SS. Sounds right.
I believe that we're going to get the LS2 for the first round of Camaro's until they're completely used up or just "fade away". Either way, I plan to buy the Camaro when it's released. If GM plants a significantly more powerful engine in later models, I'll just trade the '09 in.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #18
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
I thought I read somewhere that GM still has a surplus of LS2's and will most likely use those for the '09 Camaro. The '08 vette has the 6.2 LS3. Now they may upgrade the vette for '09 and throw that LS3 in the Camaro SS. Sounds right.
Either way, I plan to buy the Camaro when it's released. If GM plants a significantly more powerful engine in later models, I'll just trade the '09 in.
Actually that kinda makes alot of sense and wouldn't sound to far fetched. LS2 or LS3...doesn't make a difference to me cause when i own one of these cars the only time it's gonna see a drag strip is when it's sitting in the parking lot of one.

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #19
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Okey, couple things. "If" they go with the LS2, I wondering from the stuff I've read about it, it always says Recommended fuel- Premium Unleaded, now if you use Regular will that harm the engine or just lower the horse power? 'Cause premium's to damn expensive up here.
Second thing, (not really important, just curious) if they went with the LS2 for the first year, would that give the Camaro more/ less value in the long run being a rare engine for that model year?
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #20
Eisenhower
I drank what?

87 is a joke, I never use anything less than at least 92 in my cars. I'd like to use 94 but Florida only seems to have 93.

As far as the Camaro's resell value, if you look at the '04-'06 GTO's and some of the '00-'02 Trans Am's, they're holding their value well. Trans Am's with an average of about $18,000 and GTO's ave. $25,000. Kelley might post less if you sell it out right.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
87 is a joke, I never use anything less than at least 92 in my cars. I'd like to use 94 but Florida only seems to have 93.
Just so you know, if you're running a higher octane in an engine than it needs, you are robbing yourself of both power and efficiency.

I can give you the reasons why if you're curious. Don't feel like typing it all out right now. 93 Octane is not "cleaner" or better in any way, it just burns differently.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #22
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
93 Octane is not "cleaner" or better in any way, it just burns differently.
I don't know how that could be...

Not based on my experience. Put 87 in a Honda, Nissan or Toyota and see if it continues to start everytime. When you're done cranking the engine for 20 minutes, try the higher octanes and see if that makes a difference. I've been through fuel line freeze up, poor acceleration, knocking and pinging and just plain not starting. Plus, some stations even use detergents in their fuel to help keep your fuel system cleaner. I'd say that's better than not...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #23
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
I put 87 in my Dodge and Toyota constantly, absolutely no difference in performance or reliability. If your tuning for racing or building a cutting edge engine octane matters but otherwise the fuel is fuel to properly working engines and fuel systems.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #24
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Ok, more power to ya, but it doesn't work in my car-- learned that the hard way. Anyway, back on topic. How 'bout those LS2's?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #25
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
This could be a huge-alternate thread, so I won't get started, but put simply, higher octane allows the engine to run greater amounts of timing advance without knock.

Octane by definition is a fuels resistance to detonation (AKA knock). Most cars are DESIGNED for 87 octane, so they just don't advance the timing any further than that fuel requires ( and thus don't reap the benefit in power and efficiency it affords).

Now, cars that are DESIGNED for high-octane fuels (ESPECIALLY turbo and supercharged cars) NEED high octane fuel to achieve the performance they are rated at. If you use lower octane fuels they engine computer will pull back timing to prevent detonation, and as a result you won't get the power or mileage that you expect.

If your car calls for high octane fuel, then using it will benefit you and the car (and don't think you'll save money by using low octance fuel... the reduction in mileage as a result of the reduced timing will MORE than outweigh the difference in fuel price).

In short, use what the manufacturer recommends! They kind of know what they're doing!

Oh, and I want the LS3... screw the L76 and all its truck based hardware! Corvette power if I can get it!

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #26
JMROD

Drives: 2SS RS ABM "Bumbleblue"
The octane number we refer to as "87,89,92" are actual precentages. Simply put, a percentage of how much Octane is in the fuel. Exp: 87 gas is 87% octane and 13% heptane.

What these numbers mean is the higher the number, the higher the octane concentration, the higher the compression ratio(octane can handle compression better than Heptane), or its ability to be compressed before "self" detenation(due to the pressure).

Knocking occurs when you have early detenation during the compression stage due to low octane gas in a "high octane engine". So 87 is not really worse than 89 or 92, but gas station "A" may have higher quality fuel than station "B".

Unless my memory isnt working today thats a simple explination. Feel free to correct me if I am innacurate.
JMROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #27
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Pretty accurate JMROD.

To add to it, the a higher octane fuel NEEDS more pressure/heat to burn clean. So if your engine is NOT running well with higher octane in it...it probably doesn't need it.

If you're 1983 Honda doesn't run well with 87 so you have to put higher octane in it, it's not because the higher fuel is better, it's because something in your engine is broken and needs to be tuned.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #28
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
If you're 1983 Honda doesn't run well with 87 so you have to put higher octane in it, it's not because the higher fuel is better, it's because something in your engine is broken and needs to be tuned.
You're generalizing and making a bad assumption. I just had a relative complain about the same thing in her '07 CRV. She was using 87 and started experiencing starting problems. The vehicle was under warranty, she took it back and the technicians couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Their computer was saying that no problems had been recorded. They did however offer advice about the fuel... imagine that.

Hey look, it's not that big of a deal. If you want to put that crap in your engine-- go ahead.