Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
bada

Drives: 1932 pro street truck ZO6 LS7 power
Any quarter mile times yet?

I know it's not a drag car. But most magazines, always post up 1/4 performance times. When they test the cars.
bada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
The rear end was not designed to withstand multiple hard launches so I doubt GM would issue a time.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
GM may not, but magazines will!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by bada View Post
I know it's not a drag car. But most magazines, always post up 1/4 performance times. When they test the cars.
How does your '32 street truck do as a mudder? What if magazines started testing Z06's in mud runs and rock crawls, does that make sense?

Is not everything about a cars set-up different for either drag or road course? You understand this, yes? Weight transfer? Gearing? Tires? Brakes? Suspension? Driveline?

Who gives a rat's ass about the 1/4 mile time of a Porsche GT3RS?

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B
GM may not, but magazines will!
Where do you think the mags get the cars from? And I am sure the manufacturers have some say in how their car is used.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 11-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Haters gonna hate, Speedy. We'll see 1/4 mile times from the z28 soon enough. I remember when I first bought my ZL1 and took it to the track. Everyone was saying, "it's not designed to be a drag car, you should be on a road course!"
Why don't magazines test a COPO on the 'ring? It's the same question turned 180 degrees right? A COPO is built for the strip, Z/28 for a road course. Where are all the people crying in agony that the COPO hasn't been run on a road course and the times published?

By your comment, all those COPO owners would be haters because they would think you are a moron to want to see their car's time on a road course.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
LOL, funny argument. Lets face it. This is the USA. We do stuff here that doesnt make technical sense. Like take a track car to the strip, or a strip car to the track. We like power in general and want to see what it does everywhere. It doesnt matter what it was designed for, just what we can do with it. Stock, modified, what can we do to MAKE it work for "this".

I mean come on.....we put SBC's under bar stools for petes sake .

I say run everything everywhere!!!! Break it, fix it, do it again!!!!

AS long as its fun!!!

i love this country!!!!!! We know how to have fun!!!!!
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
The rear end was not designed to withstand multiple hard launches so I doubt GM would issue a time.
Says who? It has a Helical diff in it which are 3 to 5 times stronger than the current SS disc sytle diff's, pretty close to what the Truetrac is, but with a few more Helicals, everything on that car is stronger, transmission included.
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Why don't magazines test a COPO on the 'ring? It's the same question turned 180 degrees right? A COPO is built for the strip, Z/28 for a road course. Where are all the people crying in agony that the COPO hasn't been run on a road course and the times published?

By your comment, all those COPO owners would be haters because they would think you are a moron to want to see their car's time on a road course.
That argument is not vaild. The COPO was literally designed only for the 1/4. It is 100% a drag car, the Z/28 is not 100% track car. It can not be driven on the street, and they only make 50 or so units a year. You can not drive the COPO to the track race it and drive it back.

While the Z/28 is designed to tackle the twisties, it can be driven on the street and whoever buys it can do whatever they want with it. And as much as you don't like it, when the magazines get their hands on it, they will post 1/4 times either from actually running it or just estimating.

While agree I the 1/4 times don't matter for the Z/28 why does it bother you so much?
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftkart View Post
Says who? It has a Helical diff in it which are 3 to 5 times stronger than the current SS disc sytle diff's, pretty close to what the Truetrac is, but with a few more Helicals, everything on that car is stronger, transmission included.
I believe GM directly stated its not recommend for drag racing/hard launches
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I believe GM directly stated its not recommend for drag racing/hard launches

I see, I must have missed that one.
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
bada

Quote:
How does your '32 street truck do as a mudder? What if magazines started testing Z06's in mud runs and rock crawls, does that make sense?

Is not everything about a cars set-up different for either drag or road course? You understand this, yes? Weight transfer? Gearing? Tires? Brakes? Suspension? Driveline?

Who gives a rat's ass about the 1/4 mile time of a Porsche GT3RS?
I would...
Old 11-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
bada

Quote:

Would love to see a COPO run the ring atleast once. I run anything I own. At several different formats. Just to see what it will do.

Last edited by bada; 11-01-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
GM will give a time, but there will be rain on part of the track.

DDoug is offline   Reply With Quote