Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Exclamation John Force taken to Dallas hospital

John Force taken to Dallas hospital after top-end accident with Bernstein

Drag racing's bigest star, 14-time champion John Force, was alert and conscious after suffering two broken legs and a broken arm in a nasty top-end collision Sunday with fellow straight-line legend Kenny Bernstein in the second round of eliminations at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex outisde of Dallas. Force has been airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas for further treatment. Their Funny Cars got together just as they crossed the finish line with Bernstein drifting over into Force's lane after clipping the final timing cone. The numbers, although unofficial, showed Force crossing with a 4.863 at 315.34 mph to Bernstein's 4.904 at 312.06 mph.

Bernstein was not injured in the incident, but Force was transported by LifeFlight Helicopter to Baylor for further evaluation. Team spokesman Dave Densmore reported Force's injuries to the media. NHRA.com will provide more information on this breaking story as it becomes available.

Updated: 2:35 p.m. Central

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

John Force taken to Dallas hospital after top-end accident with Bernstein

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Rob Geiger Sr., NHRA.com senior editor
9/23/2007

Drag racing's bigest star, 14-time champion John Force, was alert and conscious after suffering two broken legs and an injured arm in a nasty top-end collision Sunday with fellow straight-line legend Kenny Bernstein in the second round of eliminations at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex outisde of Dallas. Force has been airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas for further treatment. Their Funny Cars got together just as they crossed the finish line with Bernstein drifting over into Force's lane after clipping the final timing cone. The numbers, although unofficial, showed Force crossing with a 4.863 at 315.34 mph to Bernstein's 4.904 at 312.06 mph.

Bernstein quickly made his way out of his Monster Energy Drink Dodge Charger R/T and was shown walking around and talking to medical and safety personnel on the large television screens at the racetrack, which brought a huge cheer from the crowd. But the mood quickly turned quiet as everyone waited for word on Force's condition. Minutes later, track announcers reported that Force was talking to EMTs but would be transported by LifeFlight Helicopter for further evaluation. Team spokesman Dave Densmore reported Force's injuries to the media. NHRA.com will provide more information on this breaking story as it becomes available..

Team spokesman Dave Densmore reported Force's injuries to the media. "He was asking to talk to Laurie, his wife, and Ashley and Robert Hight, so that was a good sign," Densmore said. "He is in a lot of pain, obviously. They can't take passengers on the helicopter so the family is off to the hospital in a car."

"John has very, very serious injuries to his hands, his legs, and his feet that will require extensive work-up and treatment," said NHRA doctor Dwight Shewchuk, who was first on the scene with the Safety Safari. "Nothing appears life-threatening at this time but he certainly has significant injuries so he's been taking to Baylor Hospital where he'll be further evaluated.

"Although he was alert and conscious throughout the whole thing he was demonstrating some signs of a concussion as he was asking the same question over and over. But his vital signs were stable and he's on his way."

Daughter Ashley Force, who won her second-round race with Del Worsham, opted not to compete in the semifinals.

Said Bernstein, who was not injured in the incident, "First of all I just pray that John's going to be okay," Bernstein said. "I know he's hurt and the main thing I'm praying for is that he gets 100-percent recovery. That's more important than anything right now for me, Sheryl, and our team. I know he was talking to me there and he was asking if he hurt me. That's typical John right there. He'll be okay. He's a strong-willed man, he'll be fine."

NHRA.com will provide more information on this breaking story as it becomes available.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
Old 09-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Wow...not good. I don't watch too much NHRA, but I like that guy and remember him being a very good person. I pray he makes a full recovery.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
:( I just saw him a few weeks ago at an NRHA event. :(

I'm very happy to hear none of his injuries are life threatening. That poor team has been through enough already this year. :(

Though I'd hate to see him not behind the wheel anymore, I hate it even more if something worse happened to him. Maybe he should consider retiring. I know he can still drive with the best of them, but noone wants to see John Force not with us anymore.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Moose

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/vid ... 9&n8pe6c=2
Old 09-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Moose

Latest update as of 7PM EST-watching ESPN2 NHRA finals.

Force received a catscan - negative.

He has a compund fracture of his left ankle, and it's dislocated.
He has an abrasion to his right knee, down to the bone. Unsure of ligament damage.
He has abrasions and broken fingers to his right hand.

He will be going into surgery tonight.

Thoughts and prayers go out to him for a speedy and complete recovery.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
I heard about this while we were watching the NASCAR race earlier... Kind of a shock to hear about 2 BIG names in NHRA having a crash that big. Has anyone seen any video or anything? I never got to see how it actually happened, I knew Bernstein crossed the line so he was technically DQ'ed but Force obviously couldn't go on to the semifinals, so...

My prayers go out to both drivers and their families. I hope Force makes a full recovery, and soon!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by acscamarochick06 View Post
Has anyone seen any video or anything? I never got to see how it actually happened, I knew Bernstein crossed the line so he was technically DQ'ed but Force obviously couldn't go on to the semifinals, so...

My prayers go out to both drivers and their families. I hope Force makes a full recovery, and soon!

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...d=8&id=3033100

I also took this from nhra.com today;

Monday, 1:30 a.m. Central: Good news from Baylor University Medical Center where doctors operating on 14-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force were able to set his broken left ankle and determined that his wrist was not broken but just severely dislocated.

According to teamspokesman Elon Werner, doctors inserted three pins into Force's ankle to set it, and also inserted three temporary pins to stabilize his wrist.

Force came through the surgery well. A full update will be issued by the team midday Monday
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
I know he will recover 100%, he's a real tough guy. I hope he can return to racing. I knew he was getting up there in age, but did not realize that John is 58 years old. That has got to be a record of some kind.

John is a funny guy. He almost hit me and a buddy at Route 66 in Joliet this summer, twice!! He was riding his scooter around Nitro Alley. Swear he was gunning for us.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Great news!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #11
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Great news!
Ditto! Thanks for the video Moose... That definitely looks like it could have turned out a lot worse than it did! Those two guys had some guardian angels!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #12
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Here is a vid of the whole run...

http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=371286

Team LS3

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 10-06-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:05 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Ouch...at 300 something MPH...that's just crazy