Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #71
Howzit

Drives: 77 RS, 10 SS
I had the same problem today zanioing my camaro. I put on my Z5 and after 2 hours it was still smearing. I'm in Kansas where its 90 degrees outside and my car(Black) was directly in the sun. I swiped on the thin areas and it was still smearing. I filled the ZFX bottle half way(1 ounce) with 4 drops and used the zaino cotton towels. The same thing happened again with my 2nd coat of Z5 and my coat of Z2.
Howzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #72
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
While those cars look great...the results aren't exclusive to Zaino.
You are 100% correct.

Your final product will only be as good as your prep. If you're applying Zaino over paint with lots of swirls and marring, your final result will be really shiny paint... with lots of swirls and marring. But the same goes for carnauba based waxes.

Some people prefer the "warm" look that carnauba waxes provide... most people couldn't tell the difference. I use both zaino and different carnauba waxes on different vehicles that endure different abuses. I've found that if you take care of your paint and do a good detail every 3 months or so, durability is a non issue, and you can use whatever product you like the best, because if it's properly prepped and applied it should last at LEAST 3 months. But for those people who will only detail once or twice a year, the durability of Zaino is hard to beat.

You have to look at the factors that apply to your vehicle. Is it a daily driver that doesn't have a garage? Or do you only drive it out of the garage on perfect days? Durability has many factors. Sun is a large one. A black vehicle in 85 degree direct sunlight can reach paint surface temps of over 190 degrees. Carnauba waxes can actually start to break down around that temperature, whereas polymers (zaino) will melt at a much much higher temperature.

But if you were to take 2 identically prepped cars (no swirls or marks), apply the zaino process to one, and a quality glaze/carnauba process to the other, very FEW people would notice the difference. The difference will show up after a few washes. Personally, I like zaino more and more after each use, and my other products are starting to collect dust.

(Plus theres the added benefit that zaino isn't a GIANT DUST MAGNET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferrell88
I use megs clay bar , # 7 show car polish, nxt2.0 and quick detailer after i remove my wax with great results. i wanted to try zaino but seems like way to much work, Here's some pics you guys be the judge
Very nice!

I've used NXT on some heli's with nice results... doesn't really stand up to turbine heat though haha...

To be honest... people keep saying zaino is too much work... it's just as much work as the process you just described! But that one seems to be working nice for ya! keep it up!
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #73
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
I tried Zaino a few years back on my 2005 CTS and decided then and there is was more work than it was worth. Its a product for those addicted to polishing/waxing IMO.
Agreed! My car has looked just as good for 13 years using Meguiars a couple times per year.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #74
JuicedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Jferrell88, your car looks great. Do you think the Megs #7 Show Car Polish made a noticeable difference being that your car/paint is new and unblemished? I have Black SS that I have already applied 2 coats of NXT (the original, not the 2.0), and was considering stripping the wax and applying some #7 and then rewaxing. I'm just not sure if it will be worth the effort as my car already looks really good with wax only. So, do you think it would be worth the trouble? Also, do you find that the NXT 2.0 is much better than the original NXT? I still have a few applications worth of NXT left, but if I strip the wax off and apply polish, I may just buy the 2.0.
JuicedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #75
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
The Only Problems I Ever Had With Zaino Was if I Did Not Let It Dry, Which Plays Into The Next Problem. TEMPERATURE. I live in Oregon and cannot wax if the temp is too cold. If you did it in an air conditioned garage, I think that is your problem. It does not cure if its too cold.
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #76
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Simoniz Car Wax in the yellow tin...

Best you can do for ya ride. Put it on with a sponge, take it off with cheesecloth!

NOT - But I do remember my father doing that to his 49 Plymouth twice a year. In the winter after washing it, he would wipe the car down with kerosene. It would "dry" with a slight wax to it.
Ah the good ole days.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #77
Mac the Knife

Drives: 10 ss/rs 13 ram
5 coats of Zaino on my black camaro, yes alot of work, the shine is amazing! will post pics later.
Mac the Knife is offline   Reply With Quote