Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
J Wilkins

Drives: a camaro
Bent Frame-Window in a bind won't close!!!

Folks, anyone else had this issue?? Two weeks ago I had a dealership replace some clips in the door panel and adjust my driver door to try and resolve a rattle that started about a month ago.
3 days later, pulled into the garage, go to put the top up and heard a loud POP, thought it all looked ok externally, but the next time I went to put the top up I realized the entire front of the top on the driver side has separated by several inches, so I have to pull that side of the top down by hand to latch it!! AND now my back window gets in a bind when the top is up, and will not close!
Fun part is, I am now at 37300 miles, I do have the extended warranty but my dealership says we will have to call GM for assistance! Oh and I was one of the lucky ones that bought the 11 and had the top replaced 6 months after I bought it!! So did I really screw up buying one of the first ones!!!
Anyone else had anything like this happen!! Maybe time to trade for a Coupe with Sunroof!!!
J Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Twilborne

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Blue 2LT
I think they will take care of the problem for you. I had a 2010 coupe with a sunroof, it was nice but not the same as a convertible.
Twilborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
My drivers side quarter window would bind up after I had my top replaced and wouldn't go down when the top was up. I took it back to the dealership and they adjusted it. I believe there is a TSB about the frame separating from the body connections and all the problem is a bad clip that holds the frame to the motor.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wilkins View Post
Folks, anyone else had this issue?? Two weeks ago I had a dealership replace some clips in the door panel and adjust my driver door to try and resolve a rattle that started about a month ago.
3 days later, pulled into the garage, go to put the top up and heard a loud POP, thought it all looked ok externally, but the next time I went to put the top up I realized the entire front of the top on the driver side has separated by several inches, so I have to pull that side of the top down by hand to latch it!! AND now my back window gets in a bind when the top is up, and will not close!
Fun part is, I am now at 37300 miles, I do have the extended warranty but my dealership says we will have to call GM for assistance! Oh and I was one of the lucky ones that bought the 11 and had the top replaced 6 months after I bought it!! So did I really screw up buying one of the first ones!!!
Anyone else had anything like this happen!! Maybe time to trade for a Coupe with Sunroof!!!
J Wilkins,

Please keep us updated on this situation and feel free to contact us privately if there is anything additional we may be able to do to assist.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
J Wilkins

OK William R, PM Sent, need some help, my saga continues!

Update on what happened, the minor door adjustment thru the back window out of alignment, window jammed against the hinge, hinge bent when putting up the top, >$1500 charge to my extended warranty to repair! And now more issues, passenger side bottom of top folds backwards when I close the top, the trim piece on the driver side quarter below the back window moves with the window, and entire channel on the D/S rear has came out of the top, drove it 2 times since I picked it up!!

Sure hope someone steps up to help me, would hate to be the President of the Louisville based Derby City Camaro Club without a Camaro!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
OK William R, PM Sent, need some help, my saga continues!

Update on what happened, the minor door adjustment thru the back window out of alignment, window jammed against the hinge, hinge bent when putting up the top, >$1500 charge to my extended warranty to repair! And now more issues, passenger side bottom of top folds backwards when I close the top, the trim piece on the driver side quarter below the back window moves with the window, and entire channel on the D/S rear has came out of the top, drove it 2 times since I picked it up!!

Sure hope someone steps up to help me, would hate to be the President of the Louisville based Derby City Camaro Club without a Camaro!!!
PM sent back! We'll definitely see what we can do.

Thanks,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
J Wilkins

Thanks, information you requested has been returned via PM!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
J Wilkins

Just wanted to update everyone to the ending to my saga, long story short:
Top required a significant repair, took it to the dealership where I bought it and that had completed the top replacement in Oct 2011, they did another crappy job, had to take it back again, still looked horrible, would not go down all the way, scratched up my interior, too many issues to deal with, and after that they got all nasty with me!
Also Bachman Chevrolet of Louisville fraudulently submitted the claim of over $1500 to my extended warranty company when all along I was saying it was reported and DOCUMENTED at 35680 Miles, and should have been covered under bumper to bumper! (But since GM only gives them 50% reimbursements on warranty work and the extended warranty pays 100%) The dealership nor GM Customer Service did not care! Called the warranty company and it was too late, they had paid.
You all probably think this guy on C5 helped me!! LOL, once he saw I had a complaint filed from my phone call, He dumped me!
GM Customer Service was absolutely worthless! Did NOTHING TO ASSIST, was lied to by the dealership on what I had been told and DID NOTHING!
Was supposed to have the regional manager call me back, NEVER HAPPENED!
Can’t wait until the next time I run into Scott Settlemier or Al Oppenheimer in person again at a C5Fest or Superfest event!! Might have to send Scott and email directly??
Anyway, needless to say, I WAS DONE WITH THE CRAPPY LACK OF QUALITY OF MY 2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS Convertible!! And it to my despair was TRADED OFF 2 weeks later!
And Yes, I lost over $1300 on my extended warranty and was only 2000 miles into it!! SO I basically paid out of pocket for the repair and lost $$$$ on the piece of junk convertible!
Moral, NEVER, NEVER buy the first model of something, TOO MANY BUGS!
Oh in my Professional Opinion, GM CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A JOKE!!!
An Extremely disappointed Camaro Customer!!!!!
Oh, and also:
Jim Wilkins, Founder and President
Derby City Camaro Club, Louisville KY

Not good for GM PR!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
That's pathetic. I personally think if a dealer doesn't have a trained mechanic they shouldn't be aloud to sell them or work on them. Hopefully Karma will pay them a visit.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
J wilkins. man, that sucks.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Quote:
Top required a significant repair, took it to the dealership where I bought it and that had completed the top replacement in Oct 2011, they did another crappy job, had to take it back again, still looked horrible, would not go down all the way, scratched up my interior, too many issues to deal with, and after that they got all nasty with me!
Also Bachman Chevrolet of Louisville fraudulently submitted the claim of over $1500 to my extended warranty company when all along I was saying it was reported and DOCUMENTED at 35680 Miles, and should have been covered under bumper to bumper! (But since GM only gives them 50% reimbursements on warranty work and the extended warranty pays 100%) The dealership nor GM Customer Service did not care! Called the warranty company and it was too late, they had paid.
You all probably think this guy on C5 helped me!! LOL, once he saw I had a complaint filed from my phone call, He dumped me!
GM Customer Service was absolutely worthless! Did NOTHING TO ASSIST, was lied to by the dealership on what I had been told and DID NOTHING!
Can’t wait until the next time I run into Scott Settlemier or Al Oppenheimer in person again at a C5Fest or Superfest event!! Might have to send Scott and email directly??
Anyway, needless to say, I WAS DONE WITH THE CRAPPY LACK OF QUALITY OF MY 2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS Convertible!! And it to my despair was TRADED OFF 2 weeks later!
And Yes, I lost over $1300 on my extended warranty and was only 2000 miles into it!! SO I basically paid out of pocket for the repair and lost $$$$ on the piece of junk convertible!
Oh, and also:

Not good for GM PR!
Pretty sure Chevy had the lowest ranking for customer satisfaction last year. I was treated really awful when I purchased the car. So I can just imagine how awful it will be when I need warranty work. This convertible top will go down as one of those disasters that car guys will talk about for decades. Mine hasn't had any problems, but I'm not about to discount the awful experience so many on these forums have experienced. Frankly, this is an expensive car, and it's pretty despicable that any company would treat you like that after having spent so much money. Did you happen to get pics or video of the top malfunctioning? If so you should share! Warn everyone else
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Oh, and also:

Not good for GM PR!
The horror stories are truly that, horrible. I have a 2012 and I worry about it all the time, a few creases bothers me and that is nothing compared to what you write and others have written.

Not sure if you bought the GMPP (General Motors Protection Plan) but if you did, that still had value to it, the $1300 is refundable, the remainder of the balance and/or can be used as a part of the trade-in.

Anyways, GM always did have first year problems. As much as I like the new Corvette Stingray, will wait until at least 2015 or 16 for one.

What did you get to replace your vert?
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Sorry to hear about your awful experience.

I don't understand the customer care reps on this site. It seems like they are all talk and apparently think we are dumb enough not to catch on. They chime in instantly when you first mention a problem, but when you want actual help they vanish.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
I think it really comes down to finding a good dealer. I fully understand the first year production, which really shouldn't be an issue unless they completely discontinue the vehicle. We have a '11 that was built in April according to the nadar sticker and have had the 5th bow and the rightside cable tensioner replaced by a qualified mechanic and so far its been good. You got to figure that just about anything built by man can correctly be repaired by man.

Also I would request the moderator's make that list of good and bad installers a sticky posts.

And when I find a really good mechanic, I tip them on any warranty work primarily on the top due to the complexity. I know some may disagree, but to me it's no difference than tipping any another profession. Especially if they're getting paid by what the repair and not the time it actually takes to complete it.

Last edited by Jfoster; 10-10-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote