Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Transmission / Driveline

Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #43
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower5 View Post
relax - i never post without reliable info. i got that info from richmond. so i think since they sell various sizes, they prolly know what works 'best'. in fact, they stated that running 4.10's in the A6 would be to low.

so i say to you.... relax and grow up.
with that logic, wouldn't GM know what was best when they put in the factory gear-ratios? don't get your panties in a bunch, you're the one criticizing someone for running 4.10's in an A6 because you read on a messageboard that 3.73's were the best...you're missing my point...just because they recommend what to use, doesn't mean it's "best" for everyone...you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. There those who would have thought 4.33's would be too steep on the M6...doesn't mean they are. It all depends on what the owner wants and how the car is going to be used...along with what else is done to the car. They also recommend not using big cams and hi-stall converters on a street car...and we know everyone listens to that.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 09-18-2010 at 12:04 PM.
POWERFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #44
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
these pics are for a 2010 camaro, AAM 3.70's micro-polished
Hmmm, I wonder if these are the same gears that LPE is using?? They are selling 3.70's under their LPE name. Do you know if AAM makes any other ratios besides the 3.70's? Where can I find them?
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #45
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if these are the same gears that LPE is using?? They are selling 3.70's under their LPE name. Do you know if AAM makes any other ratios besides the 3.70's? Where can I find them?
from what I've read, AAM is the co that makes the LPE gears as well as the stock gears. LPE sells a 4.10 don't they?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #46
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
from what I've read, AAM is the co that makes the LPE gears as well as the stock gears. LPE sells a 4.10 don't they?
Nope, LPE only sells the 3.70's. I sure would like to know if AAM makes any other ratios for the camaro? I might have to see if I can get in touch with them to ask. And who does this "micro-polishing", would it be only certain installers?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #47
maxpower5

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
with that logic, wouldn't GM know what was best when they put in the factory gear-ratios? don't get your panties in a bunch, you're the one criticizing someone for running 4.10's in an A6 because you read on a messageboard that 3.73's were the best...you're missing my point...just because they recommend what to use, doesn't mean it's "best" for everyone...you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. There those who would have thought 4.33's would be too steep on the M6...doesn't mean they are. It all depends on what the owner wants and how the car is going to be used...along with what else is done to the car. They also recommend not using big cams and hi-stall converters on a street car...and we know everyone listens to that.
GM wouldnt put whats best in, otherwise why is everyone getting aftermarket performance accessories, like cai's, exhausts, gears, etc. not criticizing gm, just saying there is better. so with that logic, my question makes sense.

next, i was not criticizng anone or anything, i merely asked a question (why they used 4.10's in an A6) - maybe you need to go back and re-read. dont assume.

next, once again, i got that tid bit about 3.73's being the best performance getter for the A6 from Richmond - not some random message from someone that is not reputable. and as far as 'best' goes - it means in terms of 1/4 mile times.

of course it is up to the owner to decide what is best - now you are just putting words in my mouth - when did i ever state everyone should use 3.73s in their A6. i merely want to find out what is the best in terms of 1/4 mile time. i trust what richmond says, however when i here someone using something else, i am curious why and ask a question.
maxpower5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #48
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Been gone for a bit, but those are my gears you are looking at. They are the LPE gears from RPM Transmission. Yes they are a little more expensive then the Richmond gears, but I have to try something different. The price on their website includes the micro-polishing.

4.10's in the auto are not too steep. I trap 6400 rpm in 4th gear, vs 5900 with a 3.73. A 4th gear pass with 3.70's should net ME 5800ish. That is a little low in the rpm band for me, but the future blower will throw all those numbers out the window. The 4.10s are very very fun to drive and with my tranny tune I average 25mpg at 80 MPH.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #49
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
Been gone for a bit, but those are my gears you are looking at. They are the LPE gears from RPM Transmission. Yes they are a little more expensive then the Richmond gears, but I have to try something different. The price on their website includes the micro-polishing.

4.10's in the auto are not too steep. I trap 6400 rpm in 4th gear, vs 5900 with a 3.73. A 4th gear pass with 3.70's should net ME 5800ish. That is a little low in the rpm band for me, but the future blower will throw all those numbers out the window. The 4.10s are very very fun to drive and with my tranny tune I average 25mpg at 80 MPH.

Okay, I'm confused, are you saying you have gears just like the ones pictured, or that those ARE YOUR gears? So then, I guess it's safe to say that AAM makes the gears for LPE. I wonder if it is possible to get the gears directly from AAM? I'll have to send them an e-mail tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #50
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Okay, I'm confused, are you saying you have gears just like the ones pictured, or that those ARE YOUR gears? So then, I guess it's safe to say that AAM makes the gears for LPE. I wonder if it is possible to get the gears directly from AAM? I'll have to send them an e-mail tomorrow.
You can not get gears directly from AAM, already tried. Yes, those are my gears pictured. I have Bogarts/slicks all around for the the next time at the track. I'm sure the car will run high elevens with good air. I'm also changing out all the rear suspension bushings with PFADT bushings/trailing arms to alleviate all the flex/strain on drive train components. You should see their videos associated with the pumpkin and sub frame mounts

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #51
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
Quote:
The AAM gears LPE is selling are the factory offered ratio that came in the M6 GXP G8. They came with a 3.70 rear ratio. It's my understanding that this is why they are available to LPE. I heard this from a VERY reliable source. I too have had a gear failure. My professionally installed 4.33's broke three teeth after about 500 miles. I removed my center section and shipped it out to Ted Jannetty. He found that in my case, the installation was way off. This fairly well known professional shop made about every mistake in the book when putting my gears in. Whatever you guys do, make sure the installer knows what he's doing. It was a hard $2k dollar lesson for me
I will say that the 4.33's sure were fun for the 20 days I had them in the car.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #52
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
The AAM gears LPE is selling are the factory offered ratio that came in the M6 GXP G8. They came with a 3.70 rear ratio. It's my understanding that this is why they are available to LPE. I heard this from a VERY reliable source. I too have had a gear failure. My professionally installed 4.33's broke three teeth after about 500 miles. I removed my center section and shipped it out to Ted Jannetty. He found that in my case, the installation was way off. This fairly well known professional shop made about every mistake in the book when putting my gears in. Whatever you guys do, make sure the installer knows what he's doing. It was a hard $2k dollar lesson for me
DANG, that sucks... but thanks for the heads up. I was planning on getting my gears installed. This absolutely drops my confidence in alot of places I was looking into doing the install for me.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #53
McBeevee

From the experts I've talked to (& there have been several) , I've gathered that this differential requires more care during installation. I do believe that's why LPE sends their installs to RPM Transmission...or at least did.
It was not hard to remove the center section myself. You might try that, and ship it out to Ted. He knows his stuff and he offers some real nice upgrades that help keep these diffs together.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
Old 09-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #54
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Quote:
From the experts I've talked to (& there have been several) , I've gathered that this differential requires more care during installation. I do believe that's why LPE sends their installs to RPM Transmission...or at least did.
It was not hard to remove the center section myself. You might try that, and ship it out to Ted. He knows his stuff and he offers some real nice upgrades that help keep these diffs together.
yup...I bet installer error has been the cause of at least a bunch of the broken gears.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #55
blazzin1

Quote:
Thanks for the very good info!!! So have you received your pumpkin back from Jannetty yet??? Just wondering how that all went, I was thinking of doing the same thing....when i can afford it....(it's freakin' expensive!!). Anyway, I think you're correct about the installation having alot to do with it. Even if a shop (or a certain mechanic) has a lot of experience, if they aren't proficient at successfully upgrading the camaro rear end specifically, I'd take it elsewhere. That's why I want to send mine to Jannetty too!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #56
McBeevee

No, I won't be getting mine back from Jannetty. The only thing that was salvageable, was the housing itself. I had the other shop install Ted's posi upgrade when they were doing the gear install and they even screwed that up. They put one side in wrong and galled the inside of the housing. I bent over backwards to make sure they had all the info for the install. In fact, I even faxed the instructions to them a couple weeks prior to me dropping the car off. In the end, I decided to cut my losses and bought a new center section from Robin Lawrence. He had already installed the LPE gears. I really appreciated all of Teds advice and expertise during the entire thing.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd