Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
GY Supercar3 replacements vs PS4S vs PSC2?

So I'm going to need to buy a new set of tires for my SS 1LE. Stock wheel size (and therefore stock tire size, most likely)

I can get SC3s from DTD for $1180 shipped and then they have an $80 mail-in rebate for a total cost of $1100

Pilot Sport 4S I can get for about $1500 - they will last a little longer as well, which isn't super important (but nice) - but less sticky, and more spendy

PSC2s are about $1950 - no rebates

The car is driven for pleasure and track days only so treadlife isn't *super* important, but traction in damp (not wet, but damp) conditions matters because I will drive it to work and get caught in rain occasionally.

I'm a low-mid level experienced road course/HPDE/Lapping day driver so I don't know I'd notice the difference in compounds right away. Also worth noting I have PS Z26 pads for street, but ST43s for track use

Given the above factors, would you recommend I spend more cash for something other than an GY SC3?
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor

Last edited by RideZX6R; 08-09-2018 at 02:33 PM.
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
michelin ps4s!
Old 08-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
michelin ps4s!
sure - but can you say why? specifically in regards to what I posted above
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
Old 08-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
my car used to be my daily driver and also weekend fun/track car

drove in rain and also sunny weather and they are awesome and on the track they great

not the cheapest but not the most expensive option

go look at the reviews on tirerack pretty much best rated summer tire out there
Old 08-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
I live near you and I run Pilot Super Sports for the reasons you stated above...low-to-mid level track driver that uses the tires on the street specifically needing rain traction.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post
So I'm going to need to buy a new set of tires for my SS 1LE. Stock wheel size (and therefore stock tire size, most likely)

I can get SC3s from DTD for $1180 shipped and then they have an $80 mail-in rebate for a total cost of $1100

Pilot Sport 4S I can get for about $1500 - they will last a little longer as well, which isn't super important (but nice) - but less sticky, and more spendy

PSC2s are about $1950 - no rebates

The car is driven for pleasure and track days only so treadlife isn't *super* important, but traction in damp (not wet, but damp) conditions matters because I will drive it to work and get caught in rain occasionally.

I'm a low-mid level experienced road course/HPDE/Lapping day driver so I don't know I'd notice the difference in compounds right away. Also worth noting I have PS Z26 pads for street, but ST43s for track use

Given the above factors, would you recommend I spend more cash for something other than an GY SC3?
If you're happy with the stockers, stay with them. If you want better wet grip, but less overall dry grip, and quieter ride, get the PS4S. Better than 70% of the One Lap field was on PS4S this year. We saw 1.44 peak lateral g on them, and they were very confidence-inspiring in the rain. They're the best true Summer street tire I've ever used. The autocross tires (RE71R/Rival S) are faster, but don't have anywhere near the grip in the wet.

I've never used the PS2s, so I can't comment there.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

I'm a low-mid level experienced road course/HPDE/Lapping day driver
Does your track driving include wet sessions?

Would you drive if it looked like this? (use full-screen view)

https://youtu.be/TDyRLV9et9o

Norm
Old 08-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #8
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
If you're happy with the stockers, stay with them. If you want better wet grip, but less overall dry grip, and quieter ride, get the PS4S. Better than 70% of the One Lap field was on PS4S this year. We saw 1.44 peak lateral g on them, and they were very confidence-inspiring in the rain. They're the best true Summer street tire I've ever used. The autocross tires (RE71R/Rival S) are faster, but don't have anywhere near the grip in the wet.

I've never used the PS2s, so I can't comment there.
Very useful info - Much appreciated
70+ % is nutty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Does your track driving include wet sessions?
Would you drive if it looked like this? (use full-screen view)
https://youtu.be/TDyRLV9et9o
Norm
Well I live in Seattle and most track days are rain or shine... The summer months usually have no rain at all, but as you go into fall it'll start to drizzle.

We never get like pouring rain like the east coast does (I'm a former Philadelphian), just misting or light drizzle.
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
Old 08-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Id defo say this: do not spend extra $ on Cup2s as based on my experience they are not really any faster than our stockers (i was shocked) and mine corded on day 5 (or maybe 6 - cant recall now).

My personal preference (having also tried RE71R which is very good but more $) is the stockers but i use the car mainly for track with some mild dd and dont mind going thru 3 sets per season. If these priorities were reversed id proly try the Michelins as Chris V suggested above.

Worse case, you can try them, see how they work for ya and then go back to stockers if necessary. Id view it this way: if longevity and streetability is a slighly higher priority vs track performance then go with Michelins. If the other way around the stockers cant be beat performance to value wise as track focused tires. Imo and experience running in top groups with various orgs at various venues.

Hope this helps.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #10
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Id defo say this: do not spend extra $ on Cup2s as based on my experience they are not really any faster than our stockers (i was shocked) and mine corded on day 5 (or maybe 6 - cant recall now).

My personal preference (having also tried RE71R which is very good but more $) is the stockers but i use the car mainly for track with some mild dd and dont mind going thru 3 sets per season. If these priorities were reversed id proly try the Michelins as Chris V suggested above.

Worse case, you can try them, see how they work for ya and then go back to stockers if necessary. Id view it this way: if longevity and streetability is a slighly higher priority vs track performance then go with Michelins. If the other way around the stockers cant be beat performance to value wise as track focused tires. Imo and experience running in top groups with various orgs at various venues.

Hope this helps.

track performance is the priority - if it's a little damp on track I'll learn to deal with it...

If it's raining on the street, I'll drive my truck lol
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
Old 08-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #11
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Toyo R888rs are with a lot, not great in standing water but a great track tire...

Tiresdirect.net has them...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #12
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:

track performance is the priority - if it's a little damp on track I'll learn to deal with it...

If it's raining on the street, I'll drive my truck lol
Well, in this case the stockers are the best bang for the buck imo. One of the "issues" with G3s is that there are absolutely no comparison studies - unlike for many other tires - as they only come in one size specific to 2 spec Camaros. As a consequence they are flying absolutely under the radar of the usual reviewers. But, if these tires were not uber capable (look at their tread rating, or even category definition with a grain of salt imo) then ss 1le would not have beaten a z28 on mighty Trofeo Rs at Laguna.

I think Chris V worded his advice well. Id add this:

If you wish to stay with track specific tires and wish to try something new (and spend more money) then RE71R would be an obvious choice 295/30/20 square on stock rims. This lowers a rake a wee bit hence still maintains good stability and balance very close to stock. Provoste loved them in wet conditions btw. I liked them too but went back to stockers as i am actually faster on Goodyears and they cost less.

If you want to try something even more aggressive then Trofeo R in 285/30/20 F and 315/30/20 R. This would increase the rake but perhaps the fatter R tire would negate a slight loss in stability. However the gearing would become even taller. Not ideal imo. Also wet performance could be questionable and ditto life span.

Toyo R888R has had mixed reviews from feedback i was able to get from several track friends. Some like it some dont as they cant seem to dial it in pressure wise especially on 911 Pcars. The only sizing option would be the same as for Trofeo R above. This tire would likely not shine in the wet either.

And as i had said above the Cup2s are a nice tire but not worth the extra expense imo. Plus in my hands they dont get me any extra pace over stockers. NB i am 0.3 seconds behind multi time attack champion at Mosport in the same class, albeit on PB basis, running R888R on his car. So not the fastest, but not pokey either.

Lastly, ive driven in absolute deluge on concrete hiway on G3s with 3 track days on them and the car felt solid and didnt hydroplane once (in std Touring mode). Maybe i got lucky, or maybe this tire is this good. Either way would prefer not to test such situations again with heavy traffic all around. But if this tire was crap in the wet i would have felt the car moving a lot. Yet i didnt. Having said that dont take it as any quarantee as your own experience may vary

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Quote:
Well, in this case the stockers are the best bang for the buck imo. One of the "issues" with G3s is that there are absolutely no comparison studies - unlike for many other tires - as they only come in one size specific to 2 spec Camaros. As a consequence they are flying absolutely under the radar of the usual reviewers. But, if these tires were not uber capable (look at their tread rating, or even category definition with a grain of salt imo) then ss 1le would not have beaten a z28 on mighty Trofeo Rs at Laguna.

If you wish to stay with track specific tires and wish to try something new (and spend more money) then RE71R would be an obvious choice 295/30/20 square on stock rims. This lowers a rake a wee bit hence still maintains good stability and balance very close to stock. Provoste loved them in wet conditions btw. I liked them too but went back to stockers as i am actually faster on Goodyears and they cost less.

If you want to try something even more aggressive then Trofeo R in 285/30/20 F and 315/30/20 R. This would increase the rake but perhaps the fatter R tire would negate a slight loss in stability. However the gearing would become even taller. Not ideal imo. Also wet performance could be questionable and ditto life span.

Toyo R888R has had mixed reviews from feedback i was able to get from several track friends. Some like it some dont as they cant seem to dial it in pressure wise especially on 911 Pcars. The only sizing option would be the same as for Trofeo R above. This tire would likely not shine in the wet either.

And as i had said above the Cup2s are a nice tire but not worth the extra expense imo. Plus in my hands they dont get me any extra pace over stockers. NB i am 0.3 seconds behind multi time attack champion at Mosport in the same class, albeit on PB basis, running R888R on his car. So not the fastest, but not pokey either.

Lastly, ive driven in absolute deluge on concrete hiway on G3s with 3 track days on them and the car felt solid and didnt hydroplane once (in std Touring mode). Maybe i got lucky, or maybe this tire is this good. Either way would prefer not to test such situations again with heavy traffic all around. But if this tire was crap in the wet i would have felt the car moving a lot. Yet i didnt. Having said that dont take it as any quarantee as your own experience may vary

Cheers!
I wish this forum had "thanks" or like points or similar ... I'd upvote/like/thanks this hell out of this post.

Thanks a bunch!
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
Old 08-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:

Cheers!
good info here!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote