Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Can someone explain...

The class rankings among camaros? I was born in '84 and didn't really start paying attention to cars until about the same I started paying attention to girls (correlation???)... about 10, so 1994. Now the way I grew up knowing about camaros was the SS was the top. The 4th gen SS has an awesome hood and looked 10 times nicer than the other camaros, even the Z28. I knew both the Z28 and SS had powerful V8s, but wasnt sure on the specs. But I always understood the SS was 'it'. Now thats not the same. Don't get me wrong Im not threatened like some are lol, Im glad GM is releasing a new beast against the competition. I just wanted to know if anyone knew the history and significance of the badging and how they were ranked among other generations. I mean ranked as in price lineups/power/peeing contests whatever. I don't mean like "V8s are better than V6's" crap because its not always the size of the ... well you know. Someone school me please so I can understand better and appreciate more the

Z28
Old 08-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
The first generation cars(67-69) had the Z28 as a high reving, road race car with a performance suspension designed to take corners. It was a little known performance option. The SS was the a more powerful dragstrip type of car. Many SS's had big blocks and were more at home running hard in a straight line.

That same basic formula was used in the early 70's(70-73). In 74, the SS name went away, and the z28 became top dog.

In the early-mid 80's, the z28 was renamed the IROC-Z after the international race of champions. It was a good all around car, that didn't specialize in just one area.
The z28 as the top model continued into the mid 90s whenever SLP/GM brought back the SS's. The 4th gen SS's received a more aggressive hood, spoiler, and wheels and some other minor tweeks. Basically it was a z28 with some bolt ons but was viewd as the top Camaro because of the increased price tag.

In the early 2000's, the SS actually gained a little bit of performance over the z28 to go along with its more aggressive looks. I believe the SS had 315hp where as the Z had 305.

The 5th gens seem to be reversing history. If everything we hear is correct, the Z28 will get a supercharged 550+ hp engine and performance suspension tuning that will place it above the SS.

Last edited by ctk1; 08-18-2010 at 10:46 AM.
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
The first generation cars(67-67) had the Z28 as a high reving, road race car with a performance suspension designed to take corners. It was a little known performance option. The SS was the a more powerful dragstrip type of car. Many SS's had big blocks and were more at home running hard in a straight line.

That same basic formula was used in the early 70's(70-73). In 74, the SS name went away, and the z28 became top dog.

In the early-mid 80's, the z28 was renamed the IROC-Z after the international race of champions. It was a good all around car, that didn't specialize in just one area.
The z28 as the top model continued into the mid 90s whenever SLP/GM brought back the SS's. The 4th gen SS's received a more aggressive hood, spoiler, and wheels and some other minor tweeks. Basically it was a z28 with some bolt ons but was viewd as the top Camaro because of the increased price tag.

In the early 2000's, the SS actually gained a little bit of performance over the z28 to go along with its more aggressive looks. I believe the SS had 315hp where as the Z had 305.

The 5th gens seem to be reversing history. If everything we hear is correct, the Z28 will get a supercharged 550+ hp engine and performance suspension tuning that will place it above the SS.
Yeah, those old first gen. Z/28s (which were '67-'69, not '67-'67) were never any good on the drag strip........... NOT!! Here's the current D/Stock record holder on a backup run, this '67 Z/28 with a 302 set the new D/Stock record (10.45 at about 124mph) back in May/June of 2010 (taking the record from another '67 Z/28). It's a real shame those old 302s couldn't run well at the strip!!
Clyde

Check the video:

Last edited by wildpaws; 08-17-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add text
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
The first gen Z's could definitely hold their own on the drag strip, especially with other comparable small blocks. The DZ 302 was probably the best, highest revving small block that chevrolet ever created (IMO). But the first gen Z's were designed and built to compete in the Trans Am race circuit.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
The first gen Z's could definitely hold their own on the drag strip, especially with other comparable small blocks. The DZ 302 was probably the best, highest revving small block that chevrolet ever created (IMO). But the first gen Z's were designed and built to compete in the Trans Am race circuit.
And your point would be? It is indeed true that they were designed and "purpose built" with the SCCA TransAm Sedan Series in mind, they were excellent handling cars with a potent SBC. OTOH, too many people think they were handling cars only that could not hold their own at the drag strip (and not just with "other comparable small blocks...ask any of the many first gen. SS396 Camaro owners that had their *ss handed to them by a Z/28), that is why I posted the link to that video in an effort to dispel some of that "false myth" that they were handling cars only. I'm quite familar with what the first gen. Z/28s would and wouldn't do since I bought a new one in '69 (which was a DZ302). Since so many people post on these forums that first gen. Z/28s were handling machines only, it's time to put that falsehood to rest.
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 08-17-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add text
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
And your point would be? It is indeed true that they were designed and "purpose built" with the SCCA TransAm Sedan Series in mind, they were excellent handling cars with a potent SBC. OTOH, too many people think they were handling cars only that could not hold their own at the drag strip (and not just with "other comparable small blocks...ask any of the many first gen. SS396 Camaro owners that had their *ss handed to them by a Z/28), that is why I posted the link to that video in an effort to dispel some of that "false myth" that they were handling cars only. I'm quite familar with what the first gen. Z/28s would and wouldn't do since I bought a new one in '69 (which was a DZ302). Since so many people post on these forums that first gen. Z/28s were handling machines only, it's time to put that falsehood to rest.
Clyde
Hey man, I'm not trying to argue with you! I think the first gen Z's are the best thing since sliced bread! I agree with everything you said. My dream car would probably have to be a '68 Z/RS. Well, I suppose if I could have anything, I would have to pick the '69 ZL-1, but that's just too unrealistic!! All I was saying' is that they were originally designed and intended for Trans Am racing. I don't think cars these days are really "designed" or "intended" for any specific purpose like they were back then. Either way, I'm sure a super-charged 5th gen will be plenty fun!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
To the OP

First Gen Being 67-69 the Z28 was born to be a production SCCA race class car meaning 200+ cars had to be built to qualify to be considered a race production car ( not sure on the real min #). In 68 the Z car gained popularity, even more were produced in 69 a ton z28 were produced. The SS in 67 was produced w/ a 350 and later offered w / a 396 as well as the 350 opt.. The SS was both a performance and exterior pk that that continued through the rest of the years w /different opt. The RS was a ext pk only headlight, tail light, etc... this is a really basic exp on gen one... Lots of info on the web or books that will exp it better and by Gen.

The 302 z motor has a very light rotating mass, smaller journals (less friction) and storter stroke meaning it reved fast as compaired to the 396 heavy rotating mass, larger journals, longer stroke. The z was a lighter car then the SS as well. If you get off the line and can shift the car or get it to shift quick the win went to the little guy. 1/4 mile race don't allow of mistakes.. That also the basic exp of why a 302 can beat a 396...

The Z was born for racing and is why it's regarded by some as the king. The SS was also built for racing and power, but was not always king if left in stock form. The Z handled better as compaired to the SS. Weight can be the great equallizer

Last edited by GrnMchin; 08-18-2010 at 12:04 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote