Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #127
Chantro5

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
Also I don't konw if any of you guys know or if this have been talked about, but could you use this supercharger for the LFX? http://raptorsc.com.au/holden/holden...-lfx-3-6-sidi/
Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #128
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete M View Post
Do you have a video if this procedure?
I'm interested, but don't know how to do it.
Plus, I love DIY projects
Slideshow style video of porting the LLT intake. Very similar except AL instead of plastic.
I now have an LFX but will need to wait for work to slow down around the beginning of the year to make a LFX specific video that will not be a slide show.
At the time I did this I under estimated the importance of videos.
If you check out some of my Yamaha R1 porting videos you can see more about the tools and techniques used.

Last edited by BSR-1; 10-13-2016 at 08:38 AM.
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #129
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
if you guys are looking to port the lfx intake you can do it yourself very easy, poly plastic for filler i bought a gallon for 40$ you only need a small amount i use for other stuff so why not get more and then either sandpaper or carbide bit and go to town i was done within an hour came out perfect and you can cu the extra piece at the top,,i used an old tb gasket as a reference
Please correct me if I'm wrong! This is open to anyone not just the poster I've quoted.
I do a lot of porting and you (as far as I know) only use filler to decrease the cross section thus increasing velocity.
You only need to increase velocity if the area you're working on is too large to maintain proper velocity at lower rpm's. At higher rpm's (unless you've done something horribly wrong) there's no need to worry about velocity.

By putting on a larger throttle body you are making a choice to move the power into the higher rpm range, (at least as much so as a single part can contribute to the overall power band).
My question would be; why are we adding filler, to the intake manifold, if we've already made the decision to prioritize higher rpm operation, And how do we expect better throttle response from a product that reduces low rpm velocity?

Last edited by BSR-1; 10-13-2016 at 08:45 AM.
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #130
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
To smooth out the airflow, makes less turbulence and buffeting in the intake manifold. That's why they add the filler, I believe that's the reasoning
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #131
Chantro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooSTedFoST View Post
I haven't seen that before, but the shipping would be outrageous and they say it'll make less power on E85 than the KPE kit does on pump gas. Then you'd have to find someone who can tune a foreign part. We all saw how well that went with the Mace cams.
Yeah, I thought about it and then thought against it . A little good news though, I'm a happy camper. Picked up an extra intake manifold from Derek and getting it shipped to me.

A question for all of you guys. I see some say that Jason only ports the top half, but SoCal ports lower and upper. Which one should I get to do the job?? Heard absolutely nothing but great things about Jason and heard only a couple things about SoCal, but they were all positive.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #132
Chantro5

Quote:
Jason doesn't port anymore. That's why Kenny contacted SoCal to begin with.
Me and Derek set it up and he agreed to do mine. Just wondering which option should I go with. Is there really difference between the two?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #133
Chantro5

Quote:
Ah, gotcha.
Is there really any difference? I seen that Jason ports the upper I believe, but SoCal ports the lower and upper. I'm just trying to figure out which is better or if they are both just equal.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #134
Chantro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
If you want to get the most out of the 80mm, you might want to get the 80 match ported to your intake mani. SoCal porting quoted me $60 to get the 80mm match ported to the intake mani. They can also port the 80mm TB. Didn't get a price on that. They said they can schedule it with you to have 24hour turn around. I don't have the ported mani, but Ruben at SoCal said the would port the 80, match it to the mani, and port the upper and lower runners in the intake manifold for $300.
I know a lot of people have contacted them and gotten quotes, but has anyone actually went through with it and got their intake manifold ported by SoCal?

Quote:
I don't know for the Camaro. I didn't get that far with mine before I traded it in. I know when I ported the intake runners on my 1.4T it was good for 10 whp and 10 wtq, but that was a boosted application.
Nice and the price to get it ported isn't even that bad.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #135
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

I believe Jayson wanted 250 for a regular port job, and more for the 80TB intake manifold. Not sure what he wanted to do mani for the 80. But for 50 more than the stock sized ported manifold from Jayson, you get the 80mm TB itself ported, wich Will from overkill himself said would be benifcial, the upper and the lower runners of the intake manifold ported. And I believe for fifty over Jaysons stock port job, that's a good value, when you consider V-maxx wants 150 to port a stock TB. I thinking in the spring I'm gonna get a hold of Ruben at SoCal and have him hook it up.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #136
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Yeah, I'm not sure what the price was for just the mani was. Emails are cheap. They got back with me the next day. But getting the TB, spacer, upper and lower mani all ported seems like a reasonable deal. If you set up an appointment for the work to be done, overnight it both ways, it would only be 3-4 day turn around. I think it's a good option.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #137
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong! This is open to anyone not just the poster I've quoted.
I do a lot of porting and you (as far as I know) only use filler to decrease the cross section thus increasing velocity.
You only need to increase velocity if the area you're working on is too large to maintain proper velocity at lower rpm's. At higher rpm's (unless you've done something horribly wrong) there's no need to worry about velocity.

By putting on a larger throttle body you are making a choice to move the power into the higher rpm range, (at least as much so as a single part can contribute to the overall power band).
My question would be; why are we adding filler, to the intake manifold, if we've already made the decision to prioritize higher rpm operation, And how do we expect better throttle response from a product that reduces low rpm velocity?

you ad the filler just as it was explained.. reduce turbulence.. the llt and the lfx both have the "oil Dams" right after the throttle body and creates a ton of turbulence.. so on both they are filled

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
tlavoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #138
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete M View Post
Do you have a video if this procedure?
I'm interested, but don't know how to do it.
Plus, I love DIY projects

i didnt make a vid but i can take some pictures of what i used and final product.. thanks for the interest

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
tlavoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #139
Pete M
9 Year USMC Vet

Drives: 2014 1LT black on black
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
i didnt make a vid but i can take some pictures of what i used and final product.. thanks for the interest
That would be great.
The more detailed info you can provide us, the better.
I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of us on here that would do it ourselves if we had a good guide to follow.
Provide enough details and it might be included as a sticky thread..

Thanks...
Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #140
Chantro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what the price was for just the mani was. Emails are cheap. They got back with me the next day. But getting the TB, spacer, upper and lower mani all ported seems like a reasonable deal. If you set up an appointment for the work to be done, overnight it both ways, it would only be 3-4 day turn around. I think it's a good option.
How can I get this set up? So I would need to overnight them my intaker spacer, manifold, and the overkill 80mm TB? They will port all of these for $300?

Tags
posts gone because you dont reply 2, z emails