Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
niels81gy

Drives: '16 VW Passat TDi, '07 Odyssey EX-L
knocking sounds while driving

Hello there,

On my 2014 Camaro SS w/ AT we have knocking sounds while driving. The sound appears to come from the rear wheel passenger side. At the beginning it was very intermittent and very minor noise, barely noticable, but later was very persistent, even when driving very slow, like 15mph.

Here are three videos we made from the issue:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ufhFm7YBTpJXiMUU6

Yesterday the Drive Shaft Center Support got replaced as it didn't looked and the differential fluid got replaced as well.

Today after about three miles drive the issue started to re-appear. Its not as persistent on the videos, but it probably is going to be if I would drive longer with the car.

I would appreciate for any suggestion the issue could come from

Regards,

Niels
niels81gy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I would start by checking the driveshaft bolts and then move onto the rear axle cv joints.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Make sure there isn't someone in your trunk trying to get out.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Trunk monkey.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
niels81gy

No, the last time there was nobody in the trunk. I also removed the last guy from the rear tires...
Old 01-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
niels81gy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
I would start by checking the driveshaft bolts and then move onto the rear axle cv joints.

Driveshaft bolts should be fine as they were checked after reinstalling the axle.

CV Joints... I don't know because I think faulty joints don't produce such loud and even knocking noise (?)
Old 01-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Put the car on a lift that would let your wheels turn,run the car in gear,then neuutral, Have a mechanic get under there with a stethoscope and listen,you should be able to pinpoint the noise,could be torque converter bolts? Good Luck!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Does the frequency of the noise increase as speed increases?

The first vid I watched at first sounded like a bad flatspot on the tire, but then it sounded more metallic on the other vids.

As silly as it sounds, can you swap the rear wheels and see if the sound follows? I'd look for anything hanging that shouldn't be, and rub marks where there shouldn't be.

Is there vibration in the car also?
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
niels81gy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
Does the frequency of the noise increase as speed increases?

The first vid I watched at first sounded like a bad flatspot on the tire, but then it sounded more metallic on the other vids.

As silly as it sounds, can you swap the rear wheels and see if the sound follows? I'd look for anything hanging that shouldn't be, and rub marks where there shouldn't be.

Is there vibration in the car also?

The tires are one year old. What maybe speak against your tire suggestion is that after the car was lifted up for a day for the part replacement, which also has reduced tension to tires, differential, etc the issue disappeared for a short time. And since the car was back on the ground and all parts got "stressed" again, it slowly start to appear.

There are no vibration in the car. It's just the noise. And yes, the frequency of this knocking increases with speed.
As mentioned the noise starts infrequently, at like 35 mph (city driving speed) but fast increases in frequency and also starts at lower speeds. In the end it was at 15mph. That's when I called roadside assistance and the car got towed to the repair shop.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #10
tedbuteda

Drives: BMW
Thanks for the information.
tedbuteda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:14 PM   #11
ronnhunt

Drives: Toyota
Hey, Niels. Was your knocking problem solved? Knocking seems to be the most common problem in any car. There are 9 possible reasons for a car knocking mentioned on Auto Care Hub website. I had a problem with bad fuel (it turned out the nearest gas station had diluted gasoline). As I know, knocking is a well-spread problem among Camaro owners, actually. I have 3 friends, and each has had knocking problems with their Camaro. Shit happens, so we should always be prepared for it. Best wishes, guys.

Last edited by ronnhunt; 12-07-2022 at 12:38 PM.
ronnhunt is offline   Reply With Quote