Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #15
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KROLIS View Post
How about some of these?
I have this "Hard Drive Handle" only on the six speed. I have the ball as well but prefer this. My only complaint is it gets hot in the summer and my hand sticks to it from the cold in the winter. I made a leather slip cover that laces on for the cold.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #16
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
For me...it was primarily the look. Truth is...the stock throw isn’t too bad. But first and foremost, it absolutely needs to function well. I had your shifter and had to take it out because it made 1-2 shifts grind like crazy. Put my stock shifter back in...everything went back to normal and clean shifts.

I also didn’t like the noise it made. Rattled like crazy.

Maybe you should make 2 versions...a smooth shifting quiet version for the look. And a short throw agreasive version for those who want to deal with the downsides of that.

Thank you for reaching out for some voice of customer! I really wish I could have kept my Hurst shifter in. And I hope you guys can come up with what I’m looking for.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
I bought one used from a forum member and for me, it is 99% form and 1% function (see pic in my profile album). I love the looks but I find function is notchy and quite sloppy. It already has the newer bushings but again used so who knows.....I get zero noise from it and it works okay so I'm keeping for now. I would buy in a minute a complete shift kit as some of your competitors are selling already and actually considering one myself. If only...
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #18
MiniBig

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #398
I love my Hurst shifter
Attached Images

MiniBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #19
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
I liked the old school look but HATED the locking nut on the ball rubbing the inside of my fingers. Also i think the HURST snifter needs to come with the HD bushing kit out of the box not as an upgrade.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #20
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Actually reply to support tickets (1+yr & still counting), remake the "white" t-handle, offer different size/version/bend "sticks", nylon bushings fix (offer or include brass @ NC), fix the excessive rattle under acceleration, re-engineer for smoother shifts (too hard/sloppy), do I need to keep going.....?

Last edited by Smirnoff; 01-15-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #21
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
I found an automatic hurst shifter at a swap meet and welded bolts on both ends with a t handle and I can shift easile
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #22
jmar3717

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 2SS
For the Hurst people...can you describe the difference between the factory Hurst shifter in a 2011 AS and the aftermarket billet plus shifter?
jmar3717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #23
2015Black1SS

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS Black
Hurst shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_ATX View Post
I liked the old school look but HATED the locking nut on the ball rubbing the inside of my fingers. Also i think the HURST snifter needs to come with the HD bushing kit out of the box not as an upgrade.
I second this statement.. why should we have to purchase the upgraded bushing kit ?? Basically you are telling us your product will not hold up and lacks quality as is... you're basically charging us for obsolescence ... also why don't you offer a pistol grip for the 5th gen but do so on the challenger , mustang, 6th gen ?????????
2015Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #24
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F. View Post
I bought one used from a forum member and for me, it is 99% form and 1% function (see pic in my profile album). I love the looks but I find function is notchy and quite sloppy. It already has the newer bushings but again used so who knows.....I get zero noise from it and it works okay so I'm keeping for now. I would buy in a minute a complete shift kit as some of your competitors are selling already and actually considering one myself. If only...
We are sorry to hear that you are having issues even after installing the Pit Pack bushings. Give us a call at 707-544-4761 and we would be more than happy to help troubleshoot what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBig View Post
I love my Hurst shifter
We are glad to hear it! We appreciate your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_ATX View Post
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! In regards to the bushings, the reason we have not chosen to included them as the standard bushing is that majority of our customers have preferred the standard bushing. However, as there are some customers who are willing to trade NVH for performance we offer the Pit Pack kit separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Actually reply to support tickets (1+yr & still counting), remake the "white" t-handle, offer different size/version/bend "sticks", nylon bushings fix (offer or include brass @ NC), fix the excessive rattle under acceleration, re-engineer for smoother shifts (too hard/sloppy), do I need to keep going.....?
We are very sorry to hear that you have been having issues contacting our Support Team. Shoot us a PM with your details and we will make sure someone gets in contact to help you.

In regards to sticks, we do offer a wide selection of Hurst Sticks that can be found here. As for the shift quality, depending on the use of your shifter, it is possible that the included bushings could be starting to wear causing a sloppy feeling. Those bushings can either be replaced with the standard bushings, or our Pit Pack Extreme Duty Bushings. However, as those bushings are constructed with a 303S stainless steel jacket and lined with polymer liner, there will be added NVH over the standard bushings. This is the reason we do not include them with the shifter as majority of our customer prefer the standard bushings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015Black1SS View Post
I second this statement.. why should we have to purchase the upgraded bushing kit ?? Basically you are telling us your product will not hold up and lacks quality as is... you're basically charging us for obsolescence ... also why don't you offer a pistol grip for the 5th gen but do so on the challenger , mustang, 6th gen ?????????
The reason for not using the same bushings found in our Pit Pack as the standard bushing is that the majority of our customers prefer a reduced NVH level. However, we understand there are some customers who would like to trade NVH for performance, which is what lead us to develop our Pit Pack.

Rest assured, we stand behind our shifters with a Lifetime Limited Warranty, meaning that you can enjoy your Billet/Plus shifter without any worries about getting the support you need should any issues arise.

As for the offering a Pistol Grip version of the shifter, we have only recently begun offering both the Classic Ball and Pistol Grip options for newer vehicles. Depending how high you are willing to have your shifter, you could replace the included stick with one of our Pistol Grip sticks.
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #25
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Your competitors manage to make their shifters both precise and quiet, and you don't have to buy extra parts. I removed my Hurst Billet Two Plus as it had worn bushings and was very sloppy, made tons of noise, and would grind aggressive 1-2 up shifts. Went to the OEM shifter and all of those issues instantly resolved.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #26
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I ran one in two different camaros. I hated how the bushings wore out so fast and even the "upgraded" ones wore out fast. The shifter always felt sloppy even knew. Ya it was a step up from stock.
I switch to MGW and the difference was massive.
I think the fact you all use the factory mount for the shifter is the big issue.
Also the stick was way to long. It did not feel like a short throw at all.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Your competitors manage to make their shifters both precise and quiet, and you don't have to buy extra parts. I removed my Hurst Billet Two Plus as it had worn bushings and was very sloppy, made tons of noise, and would grind aggressive 1-2 up shifts. Went to the OEM shifter and all of those issues instantly resolved.
I second this as me and acammer have talked a few times about this shifter. We both had the same issues. Noisy, sloppy, almost impossible to quick shift on 1-2 and the other gears werent much more forgiving. I personally switched to the ZL1 shifter and although it didn't 100% resolve my problems, they got a solid 90% better. Just my 2 cents, the Hurst always looked good and I liked the short throw it just wasn't shifting well for me
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #28
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Although it's not always what we like to hear, we do appreciate your feedback. Our 10-15 shifter was designed as a street/strip style unit with the primary goal of reducing shift throw as much as possible. Although other shifter characteristics were somewhat secondary in the 3916030 model, we used the feedback that we received from 5th gen shifter owners when designing our Billet/Plus shifter for the 2016+ Camaro. The additional "dogbone" section in our 6th gen unit increases isolation dramatically and makes for a much firmer and quieter unit overall. That being said, we have considered redesigning our 2010-2015 Billet/Plus shifter and incorporating this into the design, but this will of course increase the cost of the shifter. The competitor's shifter that was mentioned is a very nice unit, but it does come in at a considerably higher price point than our current offering which has always been quite popular and very affordable. We are open to putting together a sample shifter using the 6th gen isolated stick design and upgraded bushings to send out to a forum member for feedback. But, when all is said and done an updated 10-15 Hurst Billet/Plus shifter will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 more than the existing Hurst 3916030 shifter and in order to move forward with production on an updated shifter, we would need 50 Camaro owners to step up and commit to a purchase. How many of you would be interested in an updated version of the Hurst Billet/Plus shifter?
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote