Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #43
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Well this thread certainly took a few unexpected turns along the way LOL!

To an earlier point that was made about the GG/PC or similar being more than enough for the average correction. I agree. You can achieve a good amount of correction with either of those tools and guys have for years - the only asterisk I put next to that is, if you're going to get ONE tool and have to rely on that for all your correction needs there are few things more frustrating than being limited by the power at your disposal if you run into a situation where it isn't enough. Lets face it... anyone who buys a polisher is always going to be asked or going to offer to do cars for friends/family/etc.

In the end its always nicer to have more correcting power than you need, in the event you end up needing it, instead of not having enough.

A more powerful tool can always be scaled back to suit the needs, but a weaker tool can only be turned up to its max and then you are at its limit. Just food for thought.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #44
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You would do best to speak of that which you are well informed. In this case, you just stuck your foot in your mouth. You don't know what products I'm using in my garage so speak of that which you know.
Oh so you don't use the same products in your videos as you do in your garage?

Should have guessed.

I'm done with this thread now as I do not care to see the pent up rage that will follow.

Op as always shoot me another pm if I can help.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #45
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Oh so you don't use the same products in your videos as you do in your garage?

Should have guessed.
The more accurate statement would be that I have way more products to choose from than just the stuff I use in my videos. But I wouldn't expect you to know that because YOU don't know me or what I have in my garage.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #46
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
"Can't we all just....get along?"

-Rodney King
Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #47
DylanVK

Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #48
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Why not both

But really though. I have a friend who has renting for mostly any car detailing item and machine, boy does he make a lot off of that.. But he did let me try the flex on my old car and it did correct deep scratches (Was a 08 Tiburon). The previous owner had garage kept the car but didn't care for the paint, not to mention it was a smokers car..bleh. Anyways, I love the flex ever since, but my gut went with the cyclo just due to more area and less worrying about burning my paint.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #49
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubscamaro View Post
... Anyways, I love the flex ever since, but my gut went with the cyclo just due to more area and less worrying about burning my paint.
You are not going to burn any paint with the Flex. You may wipe some paint off a very thin edge but you would have to make a serious effort to burn anything with that polisher.

I preach that you should have more than one machine to turn to. I have 4, which I can use to address any kind of damage that I may be presented with. I would never limit myself to just one polisher because sometimes you need the power of the bear and sometimes you need the gentleness of the butterfly. I would never try to do butterfly work with the bear and vice versa. Having a choice allows you to only remove that clear coat necessary to fix your issue.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #50
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
The mf pads have really added to the lowly pc's flexibility. The mf pads are really like a power adder they allow for more cut with fewer passes. I was ready to switch to a bigger polisher before I tried them. I can't imagine needing more cut than I can get with M105 on the xtra cut pad using a pc.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #51
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
The mf pads have really added to the lowly pc's flexibility. The mf pads are really like a power adder they allow for more cut with fewer passes. I was ready to switch to a bigger polisher before I tried them. I can't imagine needing more cut than I can get with M105 on the xtra cut pad using a pc.

Meguires microfiber cutting pads. The red ones with white nap. I'm in the same boat as you. M105 and those pads have gone through anything I've thrown at it.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #52
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Thanks for the input and your opinions, guys.
It really did help.

I've decided to get a PC 7424 to get started into the world of polishing and correcting.
It's a tried and true stand-by for a reason and the start up cost, when combined with all the accessories you also have to get with any machine, makes it the most affordable.

Maybe I'll add a Flex in the future, but for now I think the PC will fit the bill just fine.

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #53
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
It really did help.

I've decided to get a PC 7424 to get started into the world of polishing and correcting.
It's a tried and true stand-by for a reason and the start up cost, when combined with all the accessories you also have to get with any machine, makes it the most affordable.

Maybe I'll add a Flex in the future, but for now I think the PC will fit the bill just fine.

Thanks again guys!
Good luck! Definitely post up before and after pictures.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #54
DylanVK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
It really did help.

Thanks again guys!
Good plan.

If you delve deeper into the hobby and do end up getting a flex the PC is still very valuable as a tool you can use smaller pads with, hook up a carpet brush too, or just use for light correction when you don't need the flex. My PC is still in use today... its been thru hell and still ticking. Right now its setup for 4" pads or a carpet brush most of the time.

Have fun!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #55
StoopDude

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
Good plan.

If you delve deeper into the hobby and do end up getting a flex the PC is still very valuable as a tool you can use smaller pads with, hook up a carpet brush too, or just use for light correction when you don't need the flex. My PC is still in use today... its been thru hell and still ticking. Right now its setup for 4" pads or a carpet brush most of the time.

Have fun!
got a link of where to find the carpet brush attachment for a PC?

Twitter: Stoopdude12
Xbox Live: StoopDude
PSN: StoopDude
StoopDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #56
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoopDude View Post
got a link of where to find the carpet brush attachment for a PC?
Autogeek has them but I wouldn't recommend it on any carpet that you care about. That really beats up the carpet fibers and causes them to unravel. You carpet will end up looking like it has grown an Afro over time.