Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Cold Weather Car Washing

So, I'm down here in Atlanta, where we freak out if there is 1" of snow on the runways, so get your LOLs out of the way now while I complain about "cold" weather

On to the question! Normally, washing my car is done during pleasant or hot weather (along with chicks in bikinis), but now the weather has dropped to freezing conditions. I really don't feel like dragging out the hose and washing my car with an icicle. So for those of you who live in cold climates, how do you wash your cars? The only alternative I can think of while staying warm is to use a spray bottle with hot water and wipe it down.

I have one of these steam cleaners here with various attachments like microfiber cloths and squeegees. Do you think this would hurt my paint at all?

Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Here is what I do when it's cold. $15 hand wash just had it done yesterday. If its warm I do it myself.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
run it through the high pressure hand wash until a day is warm enough 40s to hand wash it. On those days I fill my soap bucket with hot water and it is not so bad. I have washed when the temps were in the 30s and it was not so bad. But when it is really cold like in the teens a quick run through the high pressure on rinse only and use hand air dryer to dry it back down. Most washes up here have a spotless rinse now which helps a lot if you want to spray and go.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Touchless car wash at dealership ,( they always give me handful of tokens everytime i go in there , very cool of them so far they have gave me $70 worth this year ) then wipe down with micro, Not much else you can do unless you have a place you can hand wash inside. Sucks but if you prepare right with last season wax , undercoating then in spring you give it the massive detail!
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
The only alternative I can think of while staying warm is to use a spray bottle with hot water and wipe it down.

I have one of these steam cleaners here with various attachments like microfiber cloths and squeegees. Do you think this would hurt my paint at all?

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! Hitting that freezing paint/clear-coat with hot water can temperature shock the paint and cause little stress cracks or "crazing" of the paint.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
GlennP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I've washed with snow on the ground in the 20's. it's miserable but you gotta do what you gotta do!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennP View Post
I've washed with snow on the ground in the 20's. it's miserable but you gotta do what you gotta do!
I have done that also, Problem is the ground and concrete is froze which then turns my driveway into a ice rink
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Bucci
Bucci

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Cold Wash

I run it through the self serve high pressure wash.... Mid 40's hand washing at home is good.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! Hitting that freezing paint/clear-coat with hot water can temperature shock the paint and cause little stress cracks or "crazing" of the paint.
I have a garage where I can do this where it stays considerably warmer than the temp outside. If I were to wash it with the steam cleaner, then let it normalize to garage temp, then drive it into the cold, do you think that would be better? I mean, I completely understand what you are saying about shocking the paint and know this is still a HUGE risk.

I was thinking more along the lines of using the steam cleaner to mist down the paint like a spray bottle would do and then quickly wiping it down with the microfiber cloth attachment...
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
I have done that also, Problem is the ground and concrete is froze which then turns my driveway into a ice rink
Put down some fertilizer before you wash or mix some in a bucket UREA before washing and then rinse the drive down with it - will stop it from freezing
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
Put down some fertilizer before you wash or mix some in a bucket UREA before washing and then rinse the drive down with it - will stop it from freezing
hmmm Genius !!! Will give it a try , Any Tricks from keeping your hands from freezing?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
I have a garage where I can do this where it stays considerably warmer than the temp outside. If I were to wash it with the steam cleaner, then let it normalize to garage temp, then drive it into the cold, do you think that would be better? I mean, I completely understand what you are saying about shocking the paint and know this is still a HUGE risk.

I was thinking more along the lines of using the steam cleaner to mist down the paint like a spray bottle would do and then quickly wiping it down with the microfiber cloth attachment...
Any water that hits the car should be somewhat close in temperature to the paint temp. otherwise you risk stress fracturing the paint. I would not recommend your last method. Soap and water are supposed to lift the dirt off and wash it away off the car. If you just mist it with water and wipe you'll be grinding any dirt into the paint.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
How long does that take to happen ??? I have had my Camaro for a 1.5 yrs and paint looks fine , Washed it many times with weather below 0. I think maybe that happens if the car is about 15 years old never seen a coat of wax on it , and never taken care of .
Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
How long does that take to happen ??? I have had my Camaro for a 1.5 yrs and paint looks fine , Washed it many times with weather below 0. I think maybe that happens if the car is about 15 years old never seen a coat of wax on it , and never taken care of .
Soon after the hot water hits the freezing paint as the paint warms too quickly shocking it. And it can happen on a 3 year old VERY well cared for '84 Monte SS with PLENTY of wax and polishing done to it. :( Trust me on this. Of course the paint is probably a bit different now, the thicker it is the more likely it will stress crack as the bottom layer of paint is still freezing and the hot water heats up the top of the paint too quickly.
NOT saying it will happen but you should still be cautious of it.

Bought a gorgeous blue '84 Monte SS in April '87 with 33 k on it. Had another car but was living in an apt. at the time so it sat out. I NEVER drove it in the winter unless it had rained to wash the streets and they were dry, hell I didn't even drive it if it was raining or going to. Well it'd get all snow covered and icy sitting out there and and when it got above freezing and it all started melting one time it bugged me so I decided to hurry the process along by pouring some buckets of warm water on it. Next time I went to wash and wax it there were areas (I think where it was still snow covered) on top of the car that had hundreds of little 1/8-1/4" cracks running all different directions. The bad part was I wasn't even going to drive it, just wanted to get what snow was left off of it.

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 01-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Tags
clean, cold, indoor, wash, weather