Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #29
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Did you inquire about the cost of a 30 day bus-pass yet?

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #30
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you could do something like a more mellow cam yes with the reinstall of your factory block and clean up it would be a good time but the hot cam....not so hot a ASA cam now that's lots more duration, low lift like stock and tight LSA and nets a crate engine 525 hp .... and well you have to hone all the cylinders unless they are just goin to half ass one piston...new bare blocks in the 1400$ range BTW
Old 12-05-2017, 07:06 AM   #31
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
And BTW with the not so high lift you should also upgrade the springs but may be able to go the life of the engine without changing them out or at least 100k between changes....and you could do some upgrades all of us have done over time like LS2/7 dampener, high volume pump.....
Old 12-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #32
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange skid mark View Post
If you are going to keep on treating your car like that its time to do anything you can to upgrade the bottom end while its out.
?treating it like what? how many peeps on C5 have their motors OVER 700, 800, 900 or MORE HP on the STOCK bottom end? sounds like the dude was unlucky and the cylinder either ran rich or it was just a part failure...happens.

the limiting factor on these motors is the TOP END...I owned my car for about a year before tearing into it to make sure I understood what this motor is all about, and my mods are a direct result of this research.

Good luck OP and one thing to consider..you put that kinda of a motor in a stock car without supporting suspension mods and you will find you wallet opening up again...peace out!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #33
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
Quote:
?treating it like what?
Overreving it during burnouts. That causes parts to break - not bad luck. If everyone drove their cars like grandma all the time and had valve springs, rings, and other engine parts go bad then it is either bad luck or a manufacturing issue. When you do "massive burnouts" you make your own "luck". You are lucky if you do not break anything.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not here to chastise the OP for his choices and driving style but its not luck. All i'm saying is if they are going to have the motor out - upgrade when its out and save some labor. Build it to take "Massive Burnouts". Get over your self frank, its not your problem....peace out
Old 12-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #34
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange skid mark View Post
Overreving it during burnouts. That causes parts to break - not bad luck. If everyone drove their cars like grandma all the time and had valve springs, rings, and other engine parts go bad then it is either bad luck or a manufacturing issue. When you do "massive burnouts" you make your own "luck". You are lucky if you do not break anything.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not here to chastise the OP for his choices and driving style but its not luck. All i'm saying is if they are going to have the motor out - upgrade when its out and save some labor. Build it to take "Massive Burnouts". Get over your self frank, its not your problem....peace out
?over myself? the only thing I do on these boards is try to HELP peeps. that's it. if the truth hurts? well my PC filter came off and is stayin off. everything I state I can back up..

and props usin one of my sigs! peace out to you too bro!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #35
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Yea I beat the snot out of my car fairly often, knock on wood she holds on lol
Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #36
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I am still surprised at the point of failure here. Over-rev on these cars usually causes a lunched top end. This is something I would expect on a nitrous shot car, concerning the ring end gap.

But then again, 6000+ rpm, mashed pedal to the floor - all sorts of things can go wrong...

If this was mine, I would want pics of the findings. Very easy for a less than honest shop to say the bore was destroyed and no questions asked from the owner.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #37
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Being an auto I would think it can't over rev like on a bad downshift with a manual car. It should just bounce off the rev limiter? Not saying that's good for the car but it certainly would offer some protection.

93k miles on the motor I suppose anything can happen though I think that's early for these motors to fail. But I would never do that sort of thing with my car seems pointless & risky.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #38
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Being an auto I would think it can't over rev like on a bad downshift with a manual car. It should just bounce off the rev limiter? Not saying that's good for the car but it certainly would offer some protection.

93k miles on the motor I suppose anything can happen though I think that's early for these motors to fail. But I would never do that sort of thing with my car seems pointless & risky.
I have been tempted to do a nice burnout, but with 110k on my L99 and the stock AFM lifters? No way. I am babying this thing until I do my valve train rebuild. I already feel like I am on borrowed time.

Not only that, but with my luck a cop would be sitting there watching the whole thing.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #39
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I have been tempted to do a nice burnout, but with 110k on my L99 and the stock AFM lifters? No way. I am babying this thing until I do my valve train rebuild. I already feel like I am on borrowed time.

Not only that, but with my luck a cop would be sitting there watching the whole thing.
LOL on the cop thing... It's funny I have read numerous times about the lifters failing & being the weak link but have yet to read an instance of it ever happening on here. Perhaps there is but I haven't run across one yet....But I've read about countless LS3 oil pump failures go figure?

I don't baby my car but for me a huge a$$ed burnout would be considered abuse to me so I won't go there. I would feel sick if my car wound up like the OP's after something like that.

As to cops I had a near miss this year after I reloaded my Custom tune & decided the car needed to be "tested" out. I was laying into it pretty good on the highway and then I realize an unmarked car has been following in my drivers side blind spot for I'm not sure how log. I slowed down of course and I suspect my clean driving record & maybe my age made him not bother me any further..... I should have bought a lottery ticket after that
Old 12-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #40
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
LOL on the cop thing... It's funny I have read numerous times about the lifters failing & being the weak link but have yet to read an instance of it ever happening on here. Perhaps there is but I haven't run across one yet....But I've read about countless LS3 oil pump failures go figure?

I don't baby my car but for me a huge a$$ed burnout would be considered abuse to me so I won't go there. I would feel sick if my car wound up like the OP's after something like that.

As to cops I had a near miss this year after I reloaded my Custom tune & decided the car needed to be "tested" out. I was laying into it pretty good on the highway and then I realize an unmarked car has been following in my drivers side blind spot for I'm not sure how log. I slowed down of course and I suspect my clean driving record & maybe my age made him not bother me any further..... I should have bought a lottery ticket after that
It's funny you say that. In 10 years I have never had to open an LS engine for a failed oil pump. But I have done quite a few cam/lifter jobs on AFM LS engines.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM   #41
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
It's funny you say that. In 10 years I have never had to open an LS engine for a failed oil pump. But I have done quite a few cam/lifter jobs on AFM LS engines.
Yeah no doubt I was just referring to the anecdotes on this forum. I expect it to be more along the lines of your first hand experience which is why I noted it as a funny thing not what would be expected..... The oil pump thing has happened a fair number of times on here but I realize that is a small portion of actual engine sampling statistics.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #42
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
GM's AFM failed in my 5.3 . it happens.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burnout, check, engine, stabilitrak