Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #155
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by casadesola View Post
There, just about dead center of the hood of this black SS was a paint chip! This was IN the showroom!
Those rock throwing Mustang drivers!

I was leaning towards a 2011 Synergy Green but perhaps Summit White might be a better choice.

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #156
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
Those rock throwing Mustang drivers!

I was leaning towards a 2011 Synergy Green but perhaps Summit White might be a better choice.

-Funk
Yea! lets blame them dang stangs! Go GREEN my friend. It's one cool color.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #157
Gramma911

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Red Jewel Tintcoat
Paint chips

I am also seeing too many paint chips. I also have an orange peel look to the paint above the passenger rear tire. Anyone else with this issue? I had the Simoniz Glasscoat applied to protect from other problems such as tree sap and bird droppings. I wanted to protect the paint not have it chipped away.
Gramma911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #158
BICHN CAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramma911 View Post
I am also seeing too many paint chips. I also have an orange peel look to the paint above the passenger rear tire. Anyone else with this issue? I had the Simoniz Glasscoat applied to protect from other problems such as tree sap and bird droppings. I wanted to protect the paint not have it chipped away.
About all you can do is splash guards, clear bra and stay off the ass of the car in front. (hard to do in the Big city)

That orange peel spot could be a touch up area after it went through the paint line. If it really bugs you take it to the dealer and ask them if they can fix it. Possible light sand and polish.

Dead Milkmen
Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #159
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
After doing an internet search other GM vehicle owners seem to be filing the same complaint... after watching the paint segment of the Ultimate Factories Camaro, I noticed that they used electrically charged paint, primer etc. Is the body shop going to use electrically charged methods for painting?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #160
Buby2

Drives: 2003 Eclipse & 2010 2LT SW Camaro
Just came back from Arizona for our 3 month winter vacation (every year - Jan thru Apr)
and we drove out 2LT 9,875 miles, NOT a chip on it, so tell me about b/s road rage?
when a pebble hits your car you know it, period otherwise it could be the clear coat they used when they finished your car. I have a 2003 Mitsubishi eclips that I also drove out to Arizona before buying the Camaro and she chips on the hood and left fender and get this (thats where it was re-painted due to an accident 1 year before the road trip)
clean as a whistle on the right fender, so an expert paint guy just told me that it probably was the clear coat they used or the hood and fender weren't cleaned properly after wet-sanding. GM STOP LYING !!! and fix the problem.
Buby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #161
SOMANYDECISIONS

Drives: 08 Duramax Jacked Up, 10 Maro Black
I have one chip that's super small above my front window; that's the only one that's kinda outta the way? The side gills however...they're lookin like a swiss cheese situation?! I just turned over 9000 miles this weekend after getting new tires an wheels put on; not because I needed them but because I've been waiting since before I got the car for them. They got so excited with the clear protective stuff they should've done something for the gill area!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #162
BICHN CAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's Blue View Post
After doing an internet search other GM vehicle owners seem to be filing the same complaint... after watching the paint segment of the Ultimate Factories Camaro, I noticed that they used electrically charged paint, primer etc. Is the body shop going to use electrically charged methods for painting?
No Eric, the process outside the factory is slightly different. Same steps but done without electricity. A primer over bare metal,base coat (color) and then the clear. The shop can use a plasticiser (flex agent) in both the primer and the clear to add some 'give' to the material and the thinking here is a flexible
surface will cushion the blow of the stone an lessen the chance of a chip.

Dead Milkmen
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #163
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BICHN CAMARO View Post
No Eric, the process outside the factory is slightly different. Same steps but done without electricity. A primer over bare metal,base coat (color) and then the clear. The shop can use a plasticiser (flex agent) in both the primer and the clear to add some 'give' to the material and the thinking here is a flexible
surface will cushion the blow of the stone an lessen the chance of a chip.

I guess the obvious question is why not do this at the factory?

By the way, I went into parts department at the dealership. When talking about excessive and early paint chipping, they said this was the first they had ever heard about it. I find that amusing :-P
Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #164
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Spent 6 hours on this site today, just to get background info. I have ordered a white 2011 Camaro and will be driving it during Canada winters. I ask myself should I spend extra for clear protective film on body panels. Personally I will not as it should not be necessary. Will I pay extra for dealer applied Simoniz Glasscoat? Doubt it unless dealer can assure me this "applied" treatment will reduce paint chips, puts that in writing. Doubt this dealer applied product is long term benfical or it would have been applied at the factory. Is this expensive applied Simoniz Glasscoat any better, or longer lasting then a good coat of wax that will be applied by my auto detailer each year?
I am concerned about the paint chip issues. Started driving in the 1960s, bought the first of many new GM autos starting in 1970, never have experienced paint chip issues like so many that have posted on this site. Also bought Chrysler products and never experienced paint chip issues like the ones described on this site.
Will I accept poor quality paint that chips easily. Not a chance in hell.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #165
luis nunez

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have 3,033 and 3 paint chips on the front bumper
luis nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #166
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMANYDECISIONS View Post
I have one chip that's super small above my front window; that's the only one that's kinda outta the way? The side gills however...they're lookin like a swiss cheese situation?! I just turned over 9000 miles this weekend after getting new tires an wheels put on; not because I needed them but because I've been waiting since before I got the car for them. They got so excited with the clear protective stuff they should've done something for the gill area!
I've got 4900 miles and mine look like swiss cheese too!
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #167
BICHN CAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
Spent 6 hours on this site today, just to get background info. I have ordered a white 2011 Camaro and will be driving it during Canada winters. I ask myself should I spend extra for clear protective film on body panels. Personally I will not as it should not be necessary. Will I pay extra for dealer applied Simoniz Glasscoat? Doubt it unless dealer can assure me this "applied" treatment will reduce paint chips, puts that in writing. Doubt this dealer applied product is long term benfical or it would have been applied at the factory. Is this expensive applied Simoniz Glasscoat any better, or longer lasting then a good coat of wax that will be applied by my auto detailer each year?
I am concerned about the paint chip issues. Started driving in the 1960s, bought the first of many new GM autos starting in 1970, never have experienced paint chip issues like so many that have posted on this site. Also bought Chrysler products and never experienced paint chip issues like the ones described on this site.
Will I accept poor quality paint that chips easily. Not a chance in hell.
If you will be upset at chips then cancel the order. The design of the car and possible paint line issues seem to be inducing more than a normal amount of chips on a lot of Camaros. If you don't take steps to keep the rocks from hitting the car (splash guards, clear bra) you will be seeing chips in short order.

Dead Milkmen
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #168
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
My only complaint with this car is the paint! Beleive me I absolutely LOVE my car!!! I don't have as many chips as alot of people on here but they are everywhere, gills, entire front bumper, top of car and doors. I never drive on gravel roads, in bad weather and the winters are spent in Phoenix. Such an incredible dissapointment for an otherwise great car. I looked at the clear bra option but what am I to do, cover the entire car?? I don't think so!
I guess I'll just take my lumps, err chips, and continue to fill them every few trips and when the paint is totally crap in a few years get it painted with some good quality paint.
From everything I've read on these threads it is quite a widespread problem and no matter how you look at it GM dropped the ball here.
And ya I've heard the new environmental paint standards and such but whatever they are doing now isn't working very well and they need to address it.
If I were shopping for a muscle car right now this would definetly be a strike against the camaro.
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote