Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #29
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
LT headers = "long tube" headers or is that a brand acronym?
= long tube
Old 05-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #30
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28RockStar View Post
Thank you all for the immages, I had NO idea GM was cramming that much crap under our Camaros! Good lord that's hideous! After seeing these things I think I will go for the loudest bang for the buck long headers (well manufactured of course) and full on exhaust with 1 high flow cat per side, the xpipe, and straight pipes to the rear.
Brother your car is going to be louder than your bike!!!

I did the muffler delete last month (left my resonators intact) and I LOVE it.

My fiancee and I work together, and we have to park in a pretty large lot. She was parked about 100 yards away from me the other day and she could hear me start up my SS, she said it sounded amazing even that far away. A co worker was behind me at a stoplight recently, and he said my car sounded like it should be in the sprint cup.

IMO you should get a IOM SS and do a Harley Davidson theme since the IOM/Black would match up really well!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #31
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
LT headers = "long tube" headers or is that a brand acronym?

It's just long tube headers, many different manufacturers make Long tubes.

Thank you all for your awesome assistance, I don't want to void my warranty,

Same here :( good thing is this car MOVES without any mods at all

I do want to pass emissions, though I'd like a CAI and full exhaust right away as soon as I find the right Camaro! If you guys think the resonator is a good idea cool, most aftermarket exhaust I see do not have this though. Wonder if any aftermarket header and full on exhaust come with muffler deletes.

Some of the aftermarket exhausts do. For example, the magnaflow comp system is basically a muffler delete with a magnaflow x-pipe and larger diameter exhaust piping. The SLP loudmouth II axleback is essentially a muffler delete, albiet very high quality tubing and bends. Basically check out the bolt on mods section of the forums, check out the pics of the exhaust systems, if you don't see a muffler on the axle back portion of the exhaust, it's effectively a muffler delete.

Keep in mind, for 100.00ish $$$ at a decent muffler shop you can have your mufflers cut off and have straight pipe (bent to fit your car of course) installed. You'll have enough money left over for a CAI from what you save on a name brand "Muffler Delete"

HOWEVER. If you plan on doing long tubes, go with a full catback with larger exhaust piping so that machine can BREATHE. Also be aware that there is a pretty significant "popping" noise, not unlike what you would hear on a Harley when decelerating with a muffler delete. Some like it, some don't.

If you want something that just sounds NASTY, check out the Stainless Works retro chambered catback, and the Borla ATAK systems. If I had gone the name brand route, those would have been my picks.

Good luck man!

You guys think I should keep my stock cats for the sniffer?
Not sure :( I haven't read up on high flow cats yet. Def leave on SOME kind of cats so you can stay legit with "the man"
Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #32
mycamaroisred

Drives: 2010 camaro
Star.. Check out Slp loudmouth
mycamaroisred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #33
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
You might want to listen to some various exhausts before deciding about the muffler delete. I would hate the car with a muffler delete.

The headers add a LOT of sound to the car. If you get like a Borla Atak or Borla S-type, you'll still be plenty loud without being raspy. It makes for a deeper, throatier note to have at least some muffler on there.

I have a Borla Touring exhaust and my car is plenty loud because I have headers and a cam. I also have cutouts so I can be REALLY loud and obnoxious when I want to be, but I can tone it down by closing them.

JMHO. Good luck with your choices!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #34
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
I have Kooks long tubes and high flow cats and a muffler delete. I love the way it sounds and I dont think its to loud at all. It is loud when you stomp the gas but just cruising is awesome. I have a few friends that did long tubes and had expencive cat backs and were dissapointed because I spent alot less then they did. Go with long tubes and highflow cats and muffler delete from a muffler shop for about $100 and if you dont like it, buy a cat back.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #35
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Wow thank you all guys! I am looking double hard for a camaro now! I am about to make a thread about the drive I just took, 1st time I have gotten to drive a LS3! HOLY CRAP I CAN'T STOP GRINNING!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! ! ! ! !
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #36
Dasein

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT
Quote:
Wow thank you all guys! I am looking double hard for a camaro now! I am about to make a thread about the drive I just took, 1st time I have gotten to drive a LS3! HOLY CRAP I CAN'T STOP GRINNING!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! ! ! ! !
Did you expect any less?
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #37
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
Thank you all for the immages, I had NO idea GM was cramming that much crap under our Camaros! Good lord that's hideous! After seeing these things I think I will go for the loudest bang for the buck long headers (well manufactured of course) and full on exhaust with 1 high flow cat per side, the xpipe, and straight pipes to the rear.

Are you not fond of hearing?!

Because (1) you're not going to hear yourself think or anyone else talk and (2) you're going to lose your hearing!
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #38
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyealiz View Post
Are you not fond of hearing?!

Because (1) you're not going to hear yourself think or anyone else talk and (2) you're going to lose your hearing!

What did you say? I can't hear you LOL! I actually do have permanent hearing loss from military service in war, lots of people tell me how loud my voice is and really its just because I can't hear worth a flip lol!

I think I like the header muffler delete idea, keep the cats and resonaters!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #39
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Quote:
What did you say? I can't hear you LOL! I actually do have permanent hearing loss from military service in war, lots of people tell me how loud my voice is and really its just because I can't hear worth a flip lol!

I think I like the header muffler delete idea, keep the cats and resonaters!
Well if you go LT's then I believe you have to delete the cats? Or no? I could be wrong
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #40
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
Well if you go LT's then I believe you have to delete the cats? Or no? I could be wrong
Your wrong. I have long tubes and high flow cats with a muffler delete. I still dont see how people say its to loud. I think it sounds great. I think its just that people think of straight pipes as something that is loud and annoying like a harley. On some cars it sounds like crap and is to loud but on these cars I think it sounds like it should.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #41
CharleyKahleys

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS cyber gray/black strip
I have a L99, if I cut the rez's off, is it a must to out a X pipe or can I just put a pipe where it was?
CharleyKahleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #42
CharleyKahleys

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS cyber gray/black strip
Sorry posting off IPhone, thing spells it's stuff,
CharleyKahleys is offline   Reply With Quote