Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #57
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
We need an American Autobon
We cant, Americans dont have real drivers training. There'd be massive wrecks every day from people who think they can handle high speed and/or people who pull into higher speed lanes right in front of fast movers.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #58
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Montana....

OK, not as much anymore...
Thats really a myth. Even though they did not have posted limits if you drove much over the normal 75 highway speeds (depending on the road) you'd get pulled over for reckless driving.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #59
wifes car

Drives: ss/rs iom
drive last year with a volvo

passed by audi's like i was standing sill, volvo's may be safe but not fun to drive. just stay out of left lane unless you can go fast
wifes car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #60
Shock Em

Drives: '15 AGM 2SS/RS, '12 ZX6R
My dad goes to Germany for business and used to live there. Recently, his rental was some 6 speed Volvo and he said he only got to 130 before he had to exit. They gave him a BMW this time, but not an M3. That was the first thing I asked lol.
Shock Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #61
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
the super troopers post made me crack up lmao

what is the point of 6th gear if u dont need it to go top speed? i never drove a stick before so im confused
Old 11-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #62
Donskar68

Drives: Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie63 View Post
I have seen pictures and they are really horrible!

Kathie... sorry... I saw an accident on the Autobahn on Wednesday .. .between two trucks... this was horrible... really...

passed this accident over a bridge...

Due to our hard traffic over here ... it is really no fun... my car is a Renault Megane CC with 125 mph (with a 120 hps diesel engine) full speed tested at the moment... and normally we have two lanes in one direction.... sometimes not limited ...

Well .. i wish i would have your distances on no limit from time to time

Hope I'll spend my holidays again in the states next year.
Donskar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #63
Wakemaker89

Drives: 2020 Summit White LT1 M6
Send a message via Skype™ to Wakemaker89
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
what is the point of 6th gear if u dont need it to go top speed? i never drove a stick before so im confused
It's purely for gas mileage.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #64
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Popular Mechanics took the new Camaro and the GT500 to the salt flats and took the speed limiter off and ran them all out. Camaro hit around 175 top speed. They stated the car drove very nice at speed. Here is a quote below and a link to the article.

" The Camaro easily hits 170 mph, but from there the last few miles per hour creep up in tiny increments. I'm pressing so hard on the gas that my right leg is quivering. But when the VBOX reads 174.4 mph, that's all she's got. The car is completely benign--no wandering, no scary front-end lift. The blunt Camaro is docile even when I squeeze hard on the brakes. I concede that Chevy's muscle car isn't perfect, but it's mildly amazing that when I say, "The Brembos easily hauled it down from 174 mph," I could be talking about either a $300,000 Ferrari or a $32,000 Camaro."
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...o-bonneville-2
Thanks for the info, Memphis SS. Great to know!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Europeans pay attention to the road..... and they are also WILLING TO PAY for the infrastructure required to make it safe to travel at that speed.

In America we want everything cheap, and complain when they raise our tag renewal fees and license fees to $40.00. There it's hundreds of dollars to keep your car legal and your license up to date. I do believe it is illegal to talk on a cell phone while you drive on the autobahn. It is also illegal to run out of gas on it.

You will be fined severely for making obscene gestures or driving in an unsafe manner. Could be in the thousands because I think they base their fines on how much your income is.

You cannot drive a car if it has a cracked window, rusty door pannels, or smokes, leaks oil, and leans to one side (as you will see MANY cars in American cities driving around in such condition).

Germany maintains the Autobahn with compulsive precision. The road is twice as thick as American highways, and when even the smallest crack develops they replace an entire section..... they maintain that highway to be as smooth as glass, unlike our pothole-filled, expansion jointed, uneven, crappy highways in the States. All that costs money, big bucks, but the people of Germany are willing to pay it because they embrace the joy of driving fast on the Autobahn like we embrace fireworks on the 4th of July in America. If you follow the rules you will be rewarded with a driving experience not possible in America.

And it will never be - unless we change not just our horrible driving habits but our entire way of thinking about cars, roads, laws, and the American freeway system itself.
I was on a business trip to Germany in 2009 - taught a class at a US Army base near Stuttgart. Stayed right down the streeet from the Mercedes plant where my '95 C220 was assembled. Good roads, courteous drivers, but driving was daunting - many rules, but no details supplied by the rental car company. For example, on Fridays they turn of the traffic lights, to save energy I was told. Rented a VW Jetta wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSponte View Post
I was not with that group. I am stationed here with the military. You can absolutely not drive while on the cell phone unless you have a hands free device! Germans are very good about turning your ass in if they see you.
Yes, one has to be careful - many rules, and all enforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
Sans the limiter, top speed will be had in fifth. Sixth is too tall.

At sea level, 20 C, 20% humidity, and an ACd of .9, it will take 390HP to sustain 180mph; this is a physics calculation not an observed value. Max HP in 5th occurs at 168, based on gearing. Redline at 187, again based on gearing. But you will never make it to 187 because max HP will only get you to 180. Hence, the SS should top out in the 170s...in fifth gear...drag limited.

Note that "drag limited", when used in top speed discussions, is used to distinguish the difference between a gearing setup where the drag limit is reached in the top speed gear prior to redline, versus a gearing setup that hits redline in the top speed gear before reaching the drag limit.
Thanks for the explanation, Bogie. Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
the super troopers post made me crack up lmao

MPG, for those who care about it.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #65
Fireblade

Drives: Camaro 2010 SS/RS black
Hmm I was at 270km/h a few times, I mostly try top speed when im on the Highway"autobahn" but I must say that 300 would be nice, every time I was on the Fireblade I hit the 300, thats a rush, in the Car its cool. About the 270 im not sure if thats it, I think there is a little more in the Camaro which have Borla stype, predator tune, but thats it.
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #66
LWM

Drives: #54 ZL 550 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS,GIF
Caniacfan,

These Camaro s are smooth at 150mph. On the caravan to Fest II the Mid Atlantic mob (once we got together with the Texas/ Canadians).....registered speeds up to 157mph in the desert. I have experienced nearly 140mph on a track of course!
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #67
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I didn't quite get mine to 155MPH but I got it to about 152 on a back country road. I was also in 5th gear. My sunroof seal held fine. Now that I did it once I doubt if I will ever try it again. When asked what it was like I said the car was very smooth at 150MPH but every bump is magnified. It's also amazing how fast you get to things. I started braking way before I normally would but I got to that stop sign REALLY quickly.

To chicken to video it but I did take a second to snap a pic, came out blurry. No one would have believed me if I didn't have proof.

Russ
Attached Images

OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #68
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I didn't quite get mine to 155MPH but I got it to about 152 on a back country road. I was also in 5th gear. My sunroof seal held fine. Now that I did it once I doubt if I will ever try it again. When asked what it was like I said the car was very smooth at 150MPH but every bump is magnified. It's also amazing how fast you get to things. I started braking way before I normally would but I got to that stop sign REALLY quickly.

To chicken to video it but I did take a second to snap a pic, came out blurry. No one would have believed me if I didn't have proof.

Russ
OP, nice going.

Russ, that seems a bit dangerous.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #69
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I will have to correct you....I think it's VERY dangerous. I won't do it again unless it's on a closed track.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #70
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
This is why I want to get stationed in Germany. It must be nice to have the autobahn where you live.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote