Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #29
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Why is it that Z28 discussions are as predictable as Camaro-Mustang debates here?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #30
Mdun6

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Why is it that Z28 discussions are as predictable as Camaro-Mustang debates here?

Something I said?
Mdun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #31
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napper View Post
nothing wrong with the 5.5 Di motor. Is it certified yet?? if not....then work with what is. the LSA....can be tweaked by a 2300 vs the 1900 magnacharger, and then a cam change better intake and exhaust, reworked headflow..that minor stuff need no recertification. make it a solid 575crank without pushing the mor hard...and not enchroaching on the LS9

( i say this cause i would rationalize if i could a LS9 car with a warrantee for 50k -55k why would i bother buying a 115k Vette to get it)

But once the move to lower cubed motors . There won't be a going back to the BIG CUBE motor.

If your my age. there is something about Muscle cars having a big cubed Muscle ( big block or big cubes)
the LS7 ...oh why oh why did i let her go....that was athing of Beauty!

427 Small block... You can say hasta la vista . Gm is still under government influences...the C7 vette was to be mid engined, thats been pushed back for the C8

the 5.5 DI will make 450 hp. ADD a smallish s/c and easy 575 Crank HP/ on the other hand huff a 5.3 votech with a Ls6 bumpstick.
again all the parts are inhouse and a cam change with blower is an efficiency move.
So nothing wrong with that.

touchy!

fact remains....GM if your listening...use your certified CTS-V coupe drivlline, skimp on the suspension use the V brakes.....and make the car. drop the Camaro body on a s/c LSA with GXP G8 suspensio + coilovers and strut and sway bars and lets go.

All certified.

You like taking a back seat to the GT500 for another 2 years??? wasn't the 8 year hiatus long enough??? i am slightly disapointed.

However i rectified the situation with my own Version of the Z28...don't let the 3 inch tips fool you....its 3inches ( width)back from the LG 1 7/8 3in collector .

The only hint is the exhaust sound and the SS moniker on the side.....Not for show.
Oh and to the observant the ride height. rotors.

i would never put Z28 on my car as it isn't. (though its my interpretation of what performance parameters the Z28 should have)
I still ask where is this 5.5 motor coming from? the C6R has a 5.5 (480 hp) for the racing series it's in. it's a requirement. it's also designed to last the race not 300k miles. it doesn't mean that it will be a 5.5 in the next vette. it could still be a 5.7 or higher. (being optimistic).

why drop to a lower cu. in. if we can get higher MPG with the same size motor just by going DI? that seems to be what you are worried about.

with the compression ratio being higher on a DI engine we might have to change out the pistons to lower the compression for a decent charger install.

I've heard the big cube motors are dead before but GM is still making a 575. . .that to me is big cubes.

the vette has been rumored to be going to mid engine for so long. . .it's just a rumor. won't ever happen. . .

as for skimp on the suspension. . .no thanks. that's not what Z28 is. Z28 is a road hugger. . .should be a tire shredder and road hugger. that's why I don't care what motor it really has just as long as it performs on the twisities. I just don't understand why people are so scared of smaller higher output motors. . .as long as it has 8 cylinders and makes that good ole chevy sound. . .I for one would love to see the DI motor but I love the lsa almost as much. so don't think I'm one that doesn't want it. I'll love it either way.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #32
Mdun6

Quote:
Goverment influences. Sorry in actuallity GM didn't pay the loan back....the goverment has "shares" in General Motor...alot of shares!

Waiting when all the parts are available is absurd. How much mud in the face do we have to take from Ford, because GM is not going full steam ahead.

The Z28 should be released in November. THIS YEAR.

Gm has dropped the ball. Period. a One hit wonder ( one year wonder)

But the SS is very cool looking that makes up for something.

Radsz28 thanks brother!!

What "Mud in the face" are you taking from Ford? I really don't see where any Ford or GM buyer could have any complaints about the cars right now. Quality seems to be very good, both have 400+ HP car (which really surprises me) and they are very nice looking vehicles. I think if your getting mud in the face your throwing the mud yourself.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #33
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Maybe we are seeing the effects of the headlights, ABL, and other 'Panics' from the last time they leaked us info?

The blackout of info could be our own fault.
agreed to an extent.

Quote:
Goverment influences. Sorry in actuallity GM didn't pay the loan back....the goverment has "shares" in General Motor...alot of shares!

Waiting when all the parts are available is absurd. How much mud in the face do we have to take from Ford, because GM is not going full steam ahead.

Radsz28 thanks brother!! i appriect minds thinking alike. Its so simple to make the Z
they paid back the loan. . .the shares are a different story. once they go public again the shares will either be bought by gm or us as general public.

and even though the parts are available doesn't mean they are certified in that drivetrain and how well they will hold up under the type of conditions they will be put in together. the vert is this year. . .how is this a one hit wonder car? why does GM have to release all their eggs at once? instead of extending their profits as long as possible? guess you're like most americans. . .can't wait for a good thing. gotta have it now.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #34
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Radsz28 thanks brother!! i appriect minds thinking alike. Its so simple to make the Z
I won't go too far into it but, General Motors Company has indeed paid back all the government loans made to them. The loans made a year and a half ago to General Motors Corporation are still outstanding and can't be paid back. However, when the US, Canadian, and Ontario governments sell their ownership of the new GM they will get back roughly the same amount as what was what was loaned to the old GM.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #35
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdun6 View Post
I'd love to see them bring back the Z28. The 69 was always one of my favorites. If they do bring it back it has to has hideaway headlights or it won't be a Z28 IMO.
Not to burst your bubble, but it is extremely unlikely that you will see hideaway headlights on any Camaro from the factory. As well, '69 Z/28s with hideaway headlights were the minority, not the majority, as a Z/28 had to have the RS option in '69 to get them. The '69 Z/28 I bought new was not an RS and most of the other owners I knew didn't have it either, probably no more than one out of three Z/28s (or less) in '69 were RS equipped.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #36
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdun6 View Post
Something I said?
It wasn't anyone in particular. It is the discussion in general. As car enthusiasts, we're all going to compete with one another, but we're also going to contribute to a culture that surrounds our cars. Part of that culture is a rivalry with the guys driving something besides our make. Apparently, another part of that culture is not believing a product exists until it is in a few driveways.

Let this be a lesson to you: every time someone says, "I don't believe in the Z28," a Camaro dies somewhere. :(
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #37
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let this be a lesson to you: every time someone says, "I don't believe in the Z28," a Camaro dies somewhere. :(
That is so quote worthy. . .lmao.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #38
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
That is so quote worthy. . .lmao.
Its now been immortalized in the random quote thread
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #39
Napper

Drives: 2SS RS A6/ CTS-V A6 LSA
The SS is a one year wonder. the GT is already a better handler and braker.( not to mention almost identical acceleration numbers)
though not in the 0-130. ( GT's high flowing heads, and a rev friendly design.)

I've read the Goverment has alot of influence. There are billions in shares the goverment owns.

You think i dislike GM in anyway?

In the past Gm always had an SS and z28....and something to compete with the mustangs top dog.

You that disagree with me its personal.

It is Simple. The CTS-v coupe with as is engine and *suspension( maybe a dedicated coilover would cut costs) and brakes, is the most logical move. Ok don't skim on the suspension. revise the SS sheetmetal for a more agressive look, use a 6m tranny, skim on luxury and it could be out in 6 months.

it would handle, accelerate and brake better than the target vehicle. simpler to work on. It would not enchroach on Vettes nor Cadillac. No cross shoping.

One last thing...GM did not pay the whole loan back.....and this is why the z28 is being pushed. Its General motor, not goverment motors. Yet the Fed still has influence, and thus the Z28 will be a 2 year wait, When in fact it could be out very very soon.

i know whats going on. Thats why i modded my SS , as an older hot rodder, i made my Z28. I know it is a mid 11second car and handles and brakes better than a factory 11 GT500. But i live for today. So i modded today

I have the knowledge to know the Z28 will be awesome and am 99% sure you will see what i say it will be. But i'm enjoying it now. I've reseached everything i posted.( sure i would have liked the magnetic suspension and 6 pots..but the brembo with upgrades will do on MY Z28 vision)

i would be shocked if they use the 5.5 DI. Because of certification.

And the price of a car that has a ls9...the LSA i a slightly detuned version and much cheaper to make...costs are important!

stop trying to dog me. My logically based Z28 will be a CTS-v coupe underpined car 99% sure. It could be done in 6 months. and they could easily up the 1900 to 2300 or even larger. to keep pace with the Gt500 wich stands undisputed as King of the pony/muscle cars

truly i'm a realist..i'm not the fastest guy in town, nor wanna be. I don't have a big ego. ( otherwise my 600rwhp LS7 Zo6 would still be mine)

i am using my IQ to postulate a cost effiecient Z28 that will outperform the GT500 Svt. I'm not 100% but i'd bet high dollar that i'm pretty close to what it will be.....i think a dedicated hardcore suspension will be employed though to lower the cost as the magnetic suspension is costly.
L99, ADM RACE CAI, TVS 2300,LG- Headers and X pipe ,catless 3 inch back w/Magnaflows , Ngk plugs,Msd wires,180 stat,Springs ( lowered 1"- looks solidly correct)Sways and endlinks,BMR trailing arms, Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS ,tuned ,Black out bowtie and custom (black)"SS" on sides /midnight rims (8psi)
2010 Raven (triple black.)CTS-v , crank pulley, Bubb CAI , AR Headers, custom catlessback. magnaflows. tune ( 9psi)
former LS7, LS2 and LS1 owner.(Zo6, GTO's, WS6)

Last edited by Napper; 07-23-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #40
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
The SS is a one year wonder. the GT is already a better handler and braker.

I've read the Goverment has alot of influence. There are billions in shares the goverment own.

You think i dislike GM in anyway?

In the past Gm always had an SS and z28....and something to compete with the mustangs top dog.

You that disagree with me its personal.

It is Simple. The CTS-v coupe with as is engine and suspension and brakes, is the most logical move. Ok don't skim on the suspension. revish the SS sheetmetal for a more agressive look, use a 6m tranny, skim on luxury and it could be out in 6 months.

it would handle, accelerate and brake better than the target vehicle. simpler to work on. It would not enchroach on Vettes nor Cadillac. No cross shoping.

One last thing...GM did not pay the whole loan back.....and this is why the z28 is being pushed. Its General motor, not goverment motors. Yet the Fed still has influence, and thus the Z28 will be a 2 year wait, When in fact it could be out very very soon.

i know whats going on. Thats why i modded my SS , as an older hot rodder, i made my Z28. I know it is better than the factory one. But i live for today.

I have the knowledge to know the Z28 will be awesome and am 99% sure you will see what i say it will be. But i'm enjoying it now. I've reseached everything i posted.

i would be shocked if they use a ls9 or the 5.5 DI. Because of certification.

And the price of a car that has a ls9

stop trying to dog me. My logically based Z28 will be a CTS-v coupe underpined car 99% sure. It could be done in 6 months. and they could easily up the 1900 to 2300 or even larger. to keep pace with the Gt500 wich stands undisputed as King of the pony/muscle cars

you are wrong about the bolded statement. there hasn't always been an SS camaro. which could also mean you are wrong about other things. I'm only doggin because we have differences of opinions on things. and you think I'm doggin you because of that.

You still have to certify a drive train when it's used under a different car. it took GM a while to certify the 3.6 in the camaro even though they were using it before it was certified. . .upping the blower will also shorten the life expectancy of the engine. will it survive the durability tests if they do that? what else will they have to do to make it more durable? I don't see it as an easy thing, where as you do.

you live for today like most of americans. spend their money now and don't save. which is fine for most people. but for others that don't have a ton of money to blow have to save for things like a 50k car. and from what it sounds you are up there in age. . .yes I just called you old. don't take offense it's just a fact. at least with what you've said. with being older means you can be less annal about your money. if you've saved as a youngin like myself. I say youngin because I'm just below 30. sorry you are taking offense at a difference of opinion on what and how fast something should happen. but it's still my opinion that I'm allowed to have being an american. unless sometime in the near future the government takes that away from me. . .
Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #41
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #42
Mdun6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but it is extremely unlikely that you will see hideaway headlights on any Camaro from the factory. As well, '69 Z/28s with hideaway headlights were the minority, not the majority, as a Z/28 had to have the RS option in '69 to get them. The '69 Z/28 I bought new was not an RS and most of the other owners I knew didn't have it either, probably no more than one out of three Z/28s (or less) in '69 were RS equipped.
Clyde
You're not bursting my bubble. I know that ALL Z/28's didn't have hideaway headlights. I said IMO itwon't be a Z/28 without them. I really think that the grill design of the 2010-2011 Camaro really would look awesome with hideaway headlights so why not put them on the Z/28? Why is it "extremely unlikely" they will put hideaways in the Z/28? I think it could happen or you may have to purchase an additional package to get them like in the old days. I think this is how rumors get started.