Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #29
judkins75
Silver Shark

Drives: 2014 2SS GM Npp 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I got mine installed at dealer and got 1,000 mile warranty. Also make sure they apply the speedo recalibrate update.
The recalalibrate is included. Thank you.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #30
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Finally got what I consider to be a somewhat fair price on having a Chevy dealer install 3.91 gears into my manual Camaro SS convertible. Was quoted with parts and labor a total of $1551. Some local dealers and speed shops were quoting $2100 to $2500. I hope to have this done in the spring.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #31
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by judkins75 View Post
The recalibration is included. Thank you.
I got mine done and had the certificate but my dealer didn't do the recalibration and tune. They said I had to have that done elsewhere. I used my Diablo to calibrate and tune.. all good. Just noting that your dealer may not do the recalibration for you even with the certificate and still warranty the part.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #32
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
I rebuilt my diff replacing all bearings, seals, and went to billet caps. I also added the LPW cover. I went with the 3.91 in my M6 car. I doubt if you would see a nickels worth of difference between the 3.91 and the 4.10 for 95% of the drivers out there, except for all out Drag race performance. My thought is the 3.91 is available from the OEM maker of the differential, whereas the 4.10/4.11 are only available from aftermarket suppliers. Is there a reason the OEM does not offer the 4.10/4.11? I don't know, but I do know the 4.30 was available for a very short period when these cars were first built and there were a multitude of problems trying to run a gear that tall. I daily drive my car, don't go to the track at all, so for me longevity is a more concerning factor than all out performance. Just my .02 cents which is worth maybe less than that.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #33
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
The recalibration is done in the tune, correct? So if someone already has their car tuned they just need it updated via their preferred tuner?

I guess what I am asking is, if for instance, if I had the install done at a dealer...I already have my car tuned. For people that already have a tune, the dealer really wouldn't be able to touch a pre-tuned ECU would they? So I would simply have my tuner update the existing tune?

I guess my question is, is the speedo calibration in a separate writable part of the ECU or is it part of the tune? My brain isn't working properly today...
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #34
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
The recalibration is done in the tune, correct? So if someone already has their car tuned they just need it updated via their preferred tuner?

I guess what I am asking is, if for instance, if I had the install done at a dealer...I already have my car tuned. For people that already have a tune, the dealer really wouldn't be able to touch a pre-tuned ECU would they? So I would simply have my tuner update the existing tune?

I guess my question is, is the speedo calibration in a separate writable part of the ECU or is it part of the tune? My brain isn't working properly today...
My understanding is that the recalibrate for speedometer is done with the hand held tuner. If your car was already tuned, they still need to get back in there once you change the differential gears.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #35
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I had a tune on my car but took it off before I brought to dealer so there would be no issues with warranty at install. Later may be a different story if Im not able to take the tune out before a repair if necessary. So the car was stock at time of install. They did not want to do a tune or calibrate. I didn't want to wait for my tuner to calibrate if he could. Not sure of that. So I used the Diablo and a mobil gps that indicated my speed. I played around with tire size in my handheld until the speed calibration was correct. Once that was done I finally got around to getting the gears tuned by a tuner through my handheld. He had me run a couple of data logs and he sent a tune. This made a world of difference as far as performance. I probably can get more out of her if I had a tune and dyno but that's another day. Just food for thought.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #36
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesman View Post
I had a tune on my car but took it off before I brought to dealer so there would be no issues with warranty at install. Later may be a different story if Im not able to take the tune out before a repair if necessary. So the car was stock at time of install. They did not want to do a tune or calibrate. I didn't want to wait for my tuner to calibrate if he could. Not sure of that. So I used the Diablo and a mobil gps that indicated my speed. I played around with tire size in my handheld until the speed calibration was correct. Once that was done I finally got around to getting the gears tuned by a tuner through my handheld. He had me run a couple of data logs and he sent a tune. This made a world of difference as far as performance. I probably can get more out of her if I had a tune and dyno but that's another day. Just food for thought.
fyi... a tune updates the ECU count which CAN NOT EVER be reset even if you reload the stock tune. The count will be checked for a power train warranty claim and if it's more than one your claim will be rejected. When a dealer does a speedo recalibrate they will (and only they can) register the recalibrate/ECU update with GM to preserve your power train warranty
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #37
MeanV8

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Chevy Corvette,
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
fyi... a tune updates the ECU count which CAN NOT EVER be reset even if you reload the stock tune. The count will be checked for a power train warranty claim and if it's more than one your claim will be rejected. When a dealer does a speedo recalibrate they will (and only they can) register the recalibrate/ECU update with GM to preserve your power train warranty
I am getting a set of 3.91 gears for my SS and Shop foreman told me they will recalibrate the Speedo.

Dan
MeanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote