Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2020, 04:15 AM   #1
Tony Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LS
How do you jack up the whole car properly?

Made this separate from the other one so I wasn't hijacking it. Anwyay, do you start on the back or the front? The way I did it was pretty sketchy, but I guess it worked. I also bought these jack pads a while back (https://bit.ly/2QVSs1A) and here's how I did it:

1. Jacked the front right on the jack pad (all of them are installed on the pinch welds) and put a jack stand on the side of the subframe.

2. Jacked the other front side the same way and put a jack stand on that side of the subframe.

3. Tried jacking one of the left rear pads and noticed that if I went any higher the car would've rolled off the jack diagonally from me so I did the following:

3a. Supported the front crossmember of the subframe with the floor jack long enough to replace the jack stands with two stacks of four pavers like these (https://thd.co/2QR8qKt) and luckily didn't bend the crossmember.

4. The pavers provided enough support for me to jack each rear side and then I placed a jack stand on each side's subframe flange (the circular part with the bolt in the middle).

And then taking the car off the supports was the whole thing in reverse.
Tony Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I have ramps. If i need it really high. Like i have it now. Drive front on ramps with 2x10s in front of the ramps. Block front tires. Lift rear from the diff so the whole rear raises evenly place on jack stands. Jack up front with jack and block of wood to spread the load. Place on jack stands. I also use a piece of carpet on the jack stands to prevent scratching up the underneath. You should have the 4 corners supported with jack stands under the frame. see the other post for front placement of jack stands. The rears I went on the front of the rear subframe. by the mounting bolts.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Camaro View Post
Made this separate from the other one so I wasn't hijacking it. Anwyay, do you start on the back or the front? The way I did it was pretty sketchy, but I guess it worked. I also bought these jack pads a while back (https://bit.ly/2QVSs1A) and here's how I did it:

1. Jacked the front right on the jack pad (all of them are installed on the pinch welds) and put a jack stand on the side of the subframe.

2. Jacked the other front side the same way and put a jack stand on that side of the subframe.

3. Tried jacking one of the left rear pads and noticed that if I went any higher the car would've rolled off the jack diagonally from me so I did the following:

3a. Supported the front crossmember of the subframe with the floor jack long enough to replace the jack stands with two stacks of four pavers like these (https://thd.co/2QR8qKt) and luckily didn't bend the crossmember.

4. The pavers provided enough support for me to jack each rear side and then I placed a jack stand on each side's subframe flange (the circular part with the bolt in the middle).

I would not suggest going under a car being held up by things that are not designed to hold the car up like the cement block picture. It's just not worth it. If I'm not going under it I wouldn't mind it. Once it's up get proper jack stands or ramps under it.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Camaro View Post

You can jack the front up with the cross member just use a 2x4 at least 15 inches to 19 inches long. On the back use a thick piece of carpet on the jack pad. Slide the jack under the pumpkin on the axle and jack it up. I have done this at least 100 times in the 10 years I have had my camaro.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Not sure if this is what you are looking for...
Attached Images

ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
i made my own ramps from wood..had them years and they work awesome..only take an hour to make.
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I do the same. Block of wood and front crossmember gets the front 2 tires up, then put it on stands. Block of wood on the diff pumpkin gets the rear end up and then put it on stands.

I do the front low, and then the rear at the height I want, and then raise the front again if I want it a little higher to work underneath.

I also picked up an expensive set of jack stands called ESCO 10499 Low Profile Performance Jack Stand. The round pad is way easier to work with when safely putting the car on stands IMO. I like using the lift points with the round jackstand and not the pinch welds and such.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
Name:  JACK CROSSBEAM.JPG
Views: 1851
Size:  15.1 KB

I use this, which I got at harbor freight. I start by raising the rear of the car and placing jack stands (tires are about 2 inches off the ground) under the points shown in the above post. Then I move to the front and raise it as high as my jack will take it and put jack stands under the frame at the cross member shown in above post. I made some cribbing out of 2 x 4's to go under my jack stands to be able to raise the car to a point that I can have 2 FT. of clearance between the floor and the bottom of my frame rails. I alternate between raising the front and rear until I have the car as high as I need it.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benman View Post
Attachment 1015630

I use this, which I got at harbor freight.
Ooo I like this. Going to have to go pick one up. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
You can jack the front up with the cross member just use a 2x4 at least 15 inches to 19 inches long.

I've seen this wood reference several times, but how exactly is it used? I've only ever jacked up my camaro once so far for an oil change, and I used the front cross member with my jack. I didn't have a low-profile jack, so I scuffed the plastic underguard and have no desire to do that again.
So, is the wood placed in such a way that it runs from one end of the cross member to the other (perpendicular to the jack in the front)?
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #12
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
I've seen this wood reference several times, but how exactly is it used? I've only ever jacked up my camaro once so far for an oil change, and I used the front cross member with my jack. I didn't have a low-profile jack, so I scuffed the plastic underguard and have no desire to do that again.
So, is the wood placed in such a way that it runs from one end of the cross member to the other (perpendicular to the jack in the front)?
yeah you just place the wood on the jack pad, so the wood is between the jack pad and the car and the wood runs the length of the crossmember.

Harbor Freight's low-profile jack gets under and it's a decent price. I recommend it.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #13
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
yeah you just place the wood on the jack pad, so the wood is between the jack pad and the car and the wood runs the length of the crossmember.

Harbor Freight's low-profile jack gets under and it's a decent price. I recommend it.

Thanks, I may have a look at it. My brother has a low profile, but it would be nice to have one of my own for whenever I need it.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #14
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
yep awesome way to do it..
people say oh wood cant hold that and it's dangerous ect ect.
wrong we build houses here entirely from wood and the roofs can hold many tons of snow. the weight of a car on those kinda stands is nothing.
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote