Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Drives: 2011 SS and 1988 Sport Coupe
another StabiliTrak Camaro thread

2011 SS automatic

40k miles

Might still have original battery.

Today, running about 90 mph, accelerated hard, then braked moderately.
StabiliTrak service warning lights up on the DIC, plus three icon-lights on the tach-side of the instrument cluster, and blinking engine light on speedo-side.

Can't see engine light in pic because engine light only blinks while car is moving. I was stopped when I took the pic.

Tried turning off car and letting sit for about 10-20 minutes several times. Light show comes back instantly on re-start.

Idles rough, but doesn't try to cut out.

Shifts are very sharp.

Power seems strong still when I push it.

Read several threads related to this issue. Everything from disconnected spark plug wires, to bad battery, to throttle body, to not enough zip ties working as stand-offs and insulators on wiring harness.

I don't have an OBD-II code reader.

Have appointment next week with independent shop run by mad-genius diag guy.

Will report back what mad-genius discovers.

Attached Images

W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Also should mention: I'm third owner. Only engine modification I know of is K&N oil filter. Installed by previous owner. Serviced by me within last 6 months with CORRECT amount of (absolutely not over-oiled) K&N oil on filter element.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I saw an ad on tv today for a code reader. $20 with Bluetooth to your phone for codes, definitions and estimated repair cost. Order today and get one more free.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Autozone or O Reillys will read your code for free if you dont have a code reader.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
W.E.G.
breaker of things

I know all about the el-cheapo generic code readers, and the girl at the auto parts store with the generic low-end code reader. When I'm bored, and I notice she's wearing her hip-hugger jeans, I unplug an O2 sensor to get a code and I stop by for a "read" after lunch.

When I've got a real engine issue, I go to the old bald veteran tech with the collection of factory-spec dedicated readers, and who has the knowledge to INTERPRET the codes, and the knowledge to do all the ancillary testing that is needed once the codes are acquired.

From what I gather, all manner of engine-misfire issues will cause Stablitrak to also light up, even though there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the actual Stabilitrak system.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
Autozone or O Reillys will read your code for free if you dont have a code reader.
I had a check engine light on my Silverado a couple days ago. Went to O'Reillys and it was the temperature sensor in the DEF tank. Many auto parts stores will read codes for you. But having a reader in the car seems kinda cool. And only $20.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I know all about the el-cheapo generic code readers, and the girl at the auto parts store with the generic low-end code reader. When I'm bored, and I notice she's wearing her hip-hugger jeans, I unplug an O2 sensor to get a code and I stop by for a "read" after lunch.

When I've got a real engine issue, I go to the old bald veteran tech with the collection of factory-spec dedicated readers, and who has the knowledge to INTERPRET the codes, and the knowledge to do all the ancillary testing that is needed once the codes are acquired.

From what I gather, all manner of engine-misfire issues will cause Stablitrak to also light up, even though there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the actual Stabilitrak system.
Pics or it didn't happen. And not of the old bald guy.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Flashing CEL and "Service Stabilitrak" usually hint at a misfire... I say get those codes read so you at least know which cylinder to start at.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #9
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Flashing CEL and "Service Stabilitrak" usually hint at a misfire... I say get those codes read so you at least know which cylinder to start at.
I get a Service Stabiltrak every time I do this.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
I get a Service Stabiltrak every time I do this.
You're a little different.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
You're a little different.
I've gotten it on the freeway doing 80 mph a few times. That was fun.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #12
W.E.G.
breaker of things

UPDATE:

Scope showed misfire on #6.

Plug was allowing combustion gas to blow through center of plug (between electrode stem and porcelain) and lifting plug boot off the plug.

Replacing all plugs and plug-wires.

Failure had nothing whatsoever to do with active mechanism of StabiliTrak system. CANBUS network quit talking to StabiliTrak when #6 misfire was detected by PCM. Read about CANBUS vehicle network systems separately on your own time if the subject fascinates you.

I would have thought ?loose plug wire? an unlikely diagnosis, except my Google search at the time of the incident revealed numerous similar reports - all involving disconnected spark plug wires. I actually inspected (only visually) for dislodged plug wires, and observed nothing that looked like a flopping plug wire. Evidently, my #6 wire was just barely lifted off the plug terminal, and not yet flopping around in the engine bay.

This is consistent with fact that I was running wide open throttle at time the PCM announced failure, and that several others reported StabiliTrak failure message when doing burnouts (presumably also WOT status).

Lesson learned: If this happens to you, pull all spark plug wires, and re-seat each wire on the plug. This will probably clear the misfire for the short-term. If this does clear the misfire, you will know you have a plug leaking combustion gas around the electrode stem of the plug. But, at least you will be able to drive the car without it feeling like it is shaking itself apart.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #13
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Old 05-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #14
malibupaul

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Stabilitrak and Traction Control System messages

Twice now the traction control system, service Stabilitrak, and (blinking) malfunction lights came on all at once. The first time was April 2015, the second May 2022. I only have 45K miles on the car now. The first time I think I turned the car off and restarted and it was gone. Dealer couldn’t find any codes when I had it checked. This time it went off while I was still driving, in about a minute or two. Is this either normal or a common Camaro problem? I remember getting a letter from a lawyer about a class action suit years ago that I just filed.

This should probably be a new post, but can’t yet find how to do that.
malibupaul is offline   Reply With Quote