Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #197
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
I wondered about that. "Mike" is the powdercoater that's linked in your OP, correct?

I've been looking at the engine bay thread and been getting some ideas. Thanks!
Correct. Coordinate with him, and he'll turn it around same day or next.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #198
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
The most legitimate Vert on C5 hands down. Very well played and built.

The Whipple is fantastic. Shocked nobody is really asking more about "how you changed your interior lights" though.

Completely badass Camaro and thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Very nice
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #199
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
The most legitimate Vert on C5 hands down. Very well played and built.

The Whipple is fantastic. Shocked nobody is really asking more about "how you changed your interior lights" though.

Completely badass Camaro and thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Very nice
Ivan
Thanks Ivan! Very nice compliment.

I'm not done with the lighting by any means...stay tuned. This is a BIG project. All I'm gonna say...RGB, custom controllers, iPhone, Android.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #200
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Thanks Ivan! Very nice compliment.

I'm not done with the lighting by any means...stay tuned. This is a BIG project. All I'm gonna say...RGB, custom controllers, iPhone, Android.
Looking forward to it!!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #201
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Yeah totally.....I've messed around with cluster lighting but I can't wait to see some news on your build.

Heck yeah!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #202
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
There are some nice verts on here but yours is hands down the best built on here IMO. Thanks for sharing!!!

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #203
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Let me give this thread the it deserves...everyone needs to see this car in person.....
Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #204
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

I have been working very hard for several weeks to get the car ready for camaro fest. As many of you know, we've been working on custom full color (rgb) LED lighting controllers. When I say "we", it means myself, my 16 yr-old son, my wife, and my 12 yr-old son. I am a software engineer by trade, and have a degree in electrical engineering. I always wanted to work with the hardware side, so this has been my opportunity. My 16 yr-old son is going to be an amazing engineer himself. Actually...he already is! We make a great team, and I have really enjoyed working with him on this huge project.

Last September we created some prototype controllers that controlled the ambient lighting in the doors, and also controlled the ambient lighting that we added to the dash. We showed this off to a few people at Pony Wars. It consisted of a main controller under the dash that controlled the ambient lighting across the dash. This module also included a wifi hotspot so that we could control it from a smartphone. The main module talked to each of the door controllers via radio signals. So no running wires through the door wiring harness. The door modules are as easy as unclipping the ambient lighting two-wire connector and plugging in our new module in its place.

Fast forward almost a year...and we have expanded the lineup with 3 more controllers. One controls the front-end lights. This module controls the rgb halos, the driving lights, and white lights that go in with the turn signals. We also have an engine-bay module, and an undercarriage module. All of these get radio signals from the cabin controller.

We have a full-blown iPad app, and a slimmed-down iPhone app. My 16 yr-old son did all of this work.

I am so proud of the man he is becoming. He has also helped me tremendously on the hardware design and prototype construction.

We look forward to unveiling our work at camaro fest. Please be sure to visit the main host hotel in the evenings for a demonstration.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #205
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
I have been working very hard for several weeks to get the car ready for camaro fest. As many of you know, we've been working on custom full color (rgb) LED lighting controllers. When I say "we", it means myself, my 16 yr-old son, my wife, and my 12 yr-old son. I am a software engineer by trade, and have a degree in electrical engineering. I always wanted to work with the hardware side, so this has been my opportunity. My 16 yr-old son is going to be an amazing engineer himself. Actually...he already is! We make a great team, and I have really enjoyed working with him on this huge project.

Last September we created some prototype controllers that controlled the ambient lighting in the doors, and also controlled the ambient lighting that we added to the dash. We showed this off to a few people at Pony Wars. It consisted of a main controller under the dash that controlled the ambient lighting across the dash. This module also included a wifi hotspot so that we could control it from a smartphone. The main module talked to each of the door controllers via radio signals. So no running wires through the door wiring harness. The door modules are as easy as unclipping the ambient lighting two-wire connector and plugging in our new module in its place.

Fast forward almost a year...and we have expanded the lineup with 3 more controllers. One controls the front-end lights. This module controls the rgb halos, the driving lights, and white lights that go in with the turn signals. We also have an engine-bay module, and an undercarriage module. All of these get radio signals from the cabin controller.

We have a full-blown iPad app, and a slimmed-down iPhone app. My 16 yr-old son did all of this work.

I am so proud of the man he is becoming. He has also helped me tremendously on the hardware design and prototype construction.

We look forward to unveiling our work at camaro fest. Please be sure to visit the main host hotel in the evenings for a demonstration.

Thats Awesome!

How did you get your reverse lights white? Do they still work?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #206
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Thats Awesome!

How did you get your reverse lights white? Do they still work?
The reverse lights are the AAC LED ones. I ghosted over them with a light coat of white. Since they are so bright, the light still shines through. They're probably close to stock brightness now.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #207
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
The reverse lights are the AAC LED ones. I ghosted over them with a light coat of white. Since they are so bright, the light still shines through. They're probably close to stock brightness now.
Makes sense, I was thinking about ghosting them, but thought it would be too dark, but if they are LED, then ur right.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #208
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Makes sense, I was thinking about ghosting them, but thought it would be too dark, but if they are LED, then ur right.

Thanks
Yeah...but not sure how well any color other than white would work though. Worst case...strip the paint off and polish it back to clear.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #209
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Yeah...but not sure how well any color other than white would work though. Worst case...strip the paint off and polish it back to clear.
Very True, white and black would be fairly easy, anything else probably not so much.

I know AAC sells ghosted side markers, but I assume you ghosted the reverse lights yourself? I wonder if AAC would do this
Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #210
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
I really don't think people understand the magnitude of how much work has gone into your design. I've never seen someone so dedicated to a cause or design. And the insporational part is that it's not just you, it's your family. An entire family coming together to design something that the aftermarket industry, for one of the countries most popular sports cars, can't yet make is something to be more than impressed with, it's something to be proud of.

I KNOW this will revolutionize the way anyone looks at any form of lighting in the camaro. Interior, exterior, engine bay, headlights, where will it go next?! There is nothing with this magnitude of customization that I have seen on the market for ANY car, much less the camaro.

Groundbreaking is an understatement, and the fact that I can even offer help makes me feel special.

Joe, you know you can call on JT and I as well as any of the others in the club for help. I can always guarantee you, on my end you have my overwhelming and undying support. If need another pair of hands, or my slow but sure brain , don't hesitate to ask.

I can't even begin to explain my thanks for everything you've done. You're certainly setting a good example for those around you and especially your aspiring sons. Thank you.