Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #99
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
AutoBlog Video Review: WATCH IT HERE

Last edited by brt3; 03-25-2014 at 12:26 PM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #100
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
At the risk of being called a fanboy, this Z/28 just makes me long for the new Alpha platform more. While the number and tech are impressive for the Z/28, I can't help but feel with those tires, better brakes and a lower ride height the current Boss LS wouldn't be far off if not even equal on a track, and that's with 2 litres less 7 displacement and a stick axle over the F1 derived suspension. If I had the coin I'd buy the Z/28, as I can't help but think it would be a blast to own and a future collector piece. But I think the current Camaro is as poorly defined by its weight as the Mustang has been by the solid axle. It really is time to move on.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #101
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
While the number and tech are impressive for the Z/28, I can't help but feel with those tires, better brakes and a lower ride height the current Boss LS wouldn't be far off if not even equal on a track, and that's with 2 litres less 7 displacement and a stick axle over the F1 derived suspension.
Fair question. Here's another fair question:

What would this "2 litres less 7 displacement" engine SOUND like vs. the current Z/28's LS7? What kind of music would it make as compared directly to the LS7 or current Boss equivalent?

Just speaking for myself, if you don't have the engine music right, you don't have a customer here, and I don't care what the car's performance envelope is.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #102
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Z/28 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
Fair question. Here's another fair question:

What would this "2 litres less 7 displacement" engine SOUND like vs. the current Z/28's LS7? What kind of music would it make as compared directly to the LS7 or current Boss equivalent?

Just speaking for myself, if you don't have the engine music right, you don't have a customer here, and I don't care what the car's performance envelope is.

Well, the Boss sounds fantastic. And from the videos I've seen the Z/28 sounds pretty damn good as well. But if I'm buying on sound, it's the new Jaguar F-type V8 S. It takes what I love about my car and simply turns the amp to 11.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles

Last edited by Fenderaddict2; 03-25-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #103
Mikebrinda

Quote:
Well, the Boss sounds fantastic. And from the videos I've seen the Z/28 sounds pretty damn good as well. But if in buying in sound, it's the new Jaguar F-type V8 S. It takes what I love about my car and simply turns the amp to 11.
You miss my point. I am referring to FUTURE sound.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #104
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
You miss my point. I am referring to FUTURE sound.

That remains to be seen, I guess. But I suspect sound engineering will continue to part and parcel of future Camaro, Mustang and Challenger development as there enough of us who want our cars to bark.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #105
Mikebrinda

Quote:
That remains to be seen, I guess. But I suspect sound engineering will continue to part and parcel of future Camaro, Mustang and Challenger development as there enough of us who want our cars to bark.
But there is only so much you can do. Listen to the Viper's V-10. It still sounds like the truck engine it started out as in life.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #106
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
At the risk of being called a fanboy, this Z/28 just makes me long for the new Alpha platform more. While the number and tech are impressive for the Z/28, I can't help but feel with those tires, better brakes and a lower ride height the current Boss LS wouldn't be far off if not even equal on a track, and that's with 2 litres less 7 displacement and a stick axle over the F1 derived suspension. If I had the coin I'd buy the Z/28, as I can't help but think it would be a blast to own and a future collector piece. But I think the current Camaro is as poorly defined by its weight as the Mustang has been by the solid axle. It really is time to move on.
Oh my! How you've changed. I used to like to read your comments.

Did you even read Andy P's comments??? Or see the track times??? The Z/28 was 1/2 a second off the GT3 which is 600 LBS less, and almost twice as costly. And you're talking about a last gen 10 year old chassis (which was pedestrian to begin with), that uses a straight axle as a comparable (if, if if, etc,). You've lost a lot of credibility here.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #107
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Oh my! How you've changed. I used to like to read your comments.

Did you even read Andy P's comments??? Or see the track times??? The Z/28 was 1/2 a second off the GT3 which is 600 LBS less, and almost twice as costly. And you're talking about a last gen 10 year old chassis (which was pedestrian to begin with), that uses a straight axle as a comparable (if, if if, etc,). You've lost a lot of credibility here.
I think you are missing my point. I'm not dissing the car. This car's an impressive monster, no doubt. But when I read what it can do, and how it got there I simply long for the new lighter chassis that much more. Had the ZL1 come out first, let's say, don't you think Ford could have gone to this extreme on the Boss to "win" the ponycar track day war? Of course, but it still would have a stick axle, and that and the Camaro's weight simply have been holding these cars back from true greatness. Imagine all the new Z/28 is, but on the new platform? I suspect they could actually do less and deliver more performance for less money beginning with a better chassis platform, don't you think? Wouldn't you want that car? I know I would.

Anyway, sorry to hear that my credibility is in question with you, but I'll survive the loss of a fan I hope, and redeem myself in the future when Ford and Chevy bring us truly world class cars. I love showing the asian and europeans what we can do in North America, and now we are finally getting to a point where we can do so, no excuse.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #108
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
I think you are missing my point. I'm not dissing the car. This car's an impressive monster, no doubt. But when I read what it can do, and how it got there I simply long for the new lighter chassis that much more. Had the ZL1 come out first, let's say, don't you think Ford could have gone to this extreme on the Boss to "win" the ponycar track day war? Of course, but it still would have a stick axle, and that and the Camaro's weight simply have been holding these cars back from true greatness. Imagine all the new Z/28 is, but on the new platform? I suspect they could actually do less and deliver more performance for less money beginning with a better chassis platform, don't you think? Wouldn't you want that car? I know I would.

Anyway, sorry to hear that my credibility is in question with you, but I'll survive the loss of a fan I hope, and redeem myself in the future when Ford and Chevy bring us truly world class cars. I love showing the asian and europeans what we can do in North America, and now we are finally getting to a point where we can do so, no excuse.
You made two very different arguments in your first post. First new cars will (usually) always be better. But I'd rather celebrate what they've done with such a large platform. It is quite amazing how it compares with cars costing sooooo much more.
Second the comments on the aging Boss will just not hold water. Why?, due to its flexible chassis (by comparison). The Camaro is BIG no doubt, however that mass does have one positive side effect...rigidity. This has helped a BIG car push past it's size to the possibilities we're now witnessing. When have you ever heard of 3,800 lb car described as having finesse? Gotta be impressed!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #109
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
No one accuses the GT-R of being svelte yet, in some folks' minds, it WAS the "value for money" car on a track. That reference point has shifted...

GT3? 911 Turbo S? Pobst's personal BOSS which, contrary to some, IS tweaked? It's now out there for all to see...with Pobst and others @ the wheel... A bitter pill to swallow.

Moving forward, GM has provided THEIR new benchmark for under-$80K cars which, as we'll shortly see, a C7 Z06-Z07 will NOT satisfy, price-wise. So Ford is on notice that their super-duper S550 better pass muster...because the Alpha-ZEE will...

No one should expect our Gen-6 variant to be anything less, performance-wise. And it won't be...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #110
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
new review & awsome video to add bro

2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 Track Test - Thrash Metal
It’s Camaro war as we compare the 2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 to one of the best pro touring second-gens in the world.

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...#ixzz2x12b3Twl

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #111
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You made two very different arguments in your first post. First new cars will (usually) always be better. But I'd rather celebrate what they've done with such a large platform. It is quite amazing how it compares with cars costing sooooo much more.
Second the comments on the aging Boss will just not hold water. Why?, due to its flexible chassis (by comparison). The Camaro is BIG no doubt, however that mass does have one positive side effect...rigidity. This has helped a BIG car push past it's size to the possibilities we're now witnessing. When have you ever heard of 3,800 lb car described as having finesse? Gotta be impressed!
I don't believe they arguments are conflicting. I think the Mustang with it's weight advantage could be made to run with the new Z/28, but why bother? Also how is the Boss a more "flexible" chassis? I'm not arguing here, just never read anything that says the Camaro has a more rigid chassis. And I too am amazed at the new z/28, and what it can run against, but that's not my point. My point is, if GM can make such a behemoth run against such cars, imagine what they can do with the new chassis. And to extend that line of thinking for me, why would I spend $75 large on this car (more here in Canada) for anything but a quick track buzz only to have the next car do as much with (and for) less?

Sometimes it feels like you can't question GM decisions on anything here, without being labelled the enemy. I've owned GM cars before, and I am a car lover, pure and simple. If I was going to buy a Camaro now, and didn't already have my Boss which filled my needs when I bought it, I'd been torn between a ZL1 and the 1LE. The 1LE seems more suited to my desires, but the ZL1 seems the better car all around.

As much as I, like many here, probably would have waited for the Zed, I can say all that wait did is convince me to wait more and check out the next offerings by Ford and GM. To both their credit though, the Porsche I was considering is now well off the table. Now if only Chrysler could bring something to the table.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #112
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
No one accuses the GT-R of being svelte yet, in some folks' minds, it WAS the "value for money" car on a track. That reference point has shifted...

GT3? 911 Turbo S? Pobst's personal BOSS which, contrary to some, IS tweaked? It's now out there for all to see...with Pobst and others @ the wheel... A bitter pill to swallow.

Moving forward, GM has provided THEIR new benchmark for under-$80K cars which, as we'll shortly see, a C7 Z06-Z07 will NOT satisfy, price-wise. So Ford is on notice that their super-duper S550 better pass muster...because the Alpha-ZEE will...

No one should expect our Gen-6 variant to be anything less, performance-wise. And it won't be...